HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbin View Post
Assuming that one day a skytrain line will run along Willingdon and likely stop at Canada Way AND that the Canada Way/Willingdon corner is the busiest corner of BCIT it seems odd that they'd stick housing there when it'd probably be more suited to holding office space first and foremost (or at least a significant blend of it).

That said, that area around that intersection has potential for some good mixed used development especially if the gas stations go away.
BCIT can't build commercial offices on their institutional zoned property.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:40 PM

Seems like a false dichotomy anyhow - if Holdom and Langara don't need offices, I don't see why Canada Way does. There's already Brentwood and Metrotown (the actual town centres where all the jobs are supposed to go) for that.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:52 PM

The rest of the area is mainly offices, just in low rise usually single tenant buildings. Completely agree that high rise office towers should stick to Brentwood or Metrotown.

Just across the street the Willingdon Lands was approved with 120,000sqft of retail, a 450,000sqft film studio, and 0 office space.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:30 PM

Yeah, not every station is (or has to be) a commercial hub. We could see mixed-use offices on more of the street though, if Willingdon's already zoned that way...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Yeah, not every station is (or has to be) a commercial hub. We could see mixed-use offices on more of the street though, if Willingdon's already zoned that way...
Perhaps the one that's on Commercial should be though.

Edit: I just realised I'm in the wrong thread, but my point still stands!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:06 PM

Heh, I believe I agreed with that sentiment... on the actual thread.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 11:39 PM

Vancouver Market reporting that the rezoning is in for the 'triangular' site at Alaska and Willingdon in Brentwood. Towers up to 42 storeys.

Good news is they will block some angles of the Alaska building.

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2023/04/2...ea-of-burnaby/

Also the 8000 unit Peterson/Create master plan at Sperling Station is going for approval next week. This one is a beast.

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2023/04/2...er-8000-units/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Vancouver Market reporting that the rezoning is in for the 'triangular' site at Alaska and Willingdon in Brentwood. Towers up to 42 storeys.

Good news is they will block some angles of the Alaska building.

Fulton House fills the excluded corner.
Site excludes the Dawson frontage.
It'll be difficult access to Phases 2-4 after Phase 1 is built.

That area is really filling out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...g%2F11q2ykh5zd

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 21, 2023 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:33 AM

So I heard you like trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It'll be difficult access to Phases 2-4 after Phase 1 is built.
The low rise non-market building is being built partially in phase 1 and finished in phase 4. I guess they'll squeeze in access just north of Fulton House.

From the council meeting agenda:
Quote:
To further [pedestrian overpass to Alaska St], the detailed design of an accessible grade-separated overpass is a requirement of the subject application, with construction of the overpass to occur concurrently with Phase 4 of the development.
https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=66149

Last edited by madog222; Apr 21, 2023 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:45 AM

are they really going to put residential right at the railway tracks? eek. now, i love trains, but nope. plus they have some big fans to help vent the tunnel now. i cant imagine those are quiet.

seems like a mistake to give up this prime industrial land to have subprime residential land.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
are they really going to put residential right at the railway tracks? eek. now, i love trains, but nope. plus they have some big fans to help vent the tunnel now. i cant imagine those are quiet.

seems like a mistake to give up this prime industrial land to have subprime residential land.
Yeah but where else besides prime former industrial areas can we put new housing? All the vast swaths of residential land across the lower mainland are already pack to the brim! /s

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
Fulton house has been there for almost 5 years now, and OMA has been there for over a decade longer. Doesn't seem to be vacant I guess.

The Alaska rail overpass sounds nice, does that mean a continuous trail from Gilmore to Willingdon along the railway tracks? Hopefully it integrates into the definitely-happening-at-some-point Willingdon rail overpass.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Alaska rail overpass sounds nice, does that mean a continuous trail from Gilmore to Willingdon along the railway tracks? Hopefully it integrates into the definitely-happening-at-some-point Willingdon rail overpass.
Yes, connecting to the pathway along the south of the site.

But what Willingdon rail overpass?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Yes, connecting to the pathway along the south of the site.

But what Willingdon rail overpass?
According to the sketch in the meeting proposal, the overpass for this project connects north to Alaska Street, not to the south.

The Willingdon overpass which is definitely happening sometime soon would be the north-south rail overpass to the west of the Willingdon road overpass. It's in the "we'll do it eventually" plans.

From page 102 of the council agenda minutes.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:23 AM

Well really it connects east-west, I said south meaning the existing trails south of the other developed sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
The Willingdon overpass which is definitely happening sometime soon would be the north-south rail overpass to the west of the Willingdon road overpass. It's in the "we'll do it eventually" plans.
I'm pretty sure that's just the existing overpass. The only "grade separated pedestrian crossings" I see on that are across Willingdon at Buchanan and two across Lougheed (one where the station is so I guess that did technically happen).

The town centre plan (which is 30 years old) also shows Lougheed & Willingdon as grade separated, wake me when that happens.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 8:05 AM

Yeah along the southern edge of the site - looks like it'll have to have ramps, etc. to elevate above the trains, versus if it were located more to the north, where the tracks dive into the hill.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just the existing overpass. The only "grade separated pedestrian crossings" I see on that are across Willingdon at Buchanan and two across Lougheed (one where the station is so I guess that did technically happen).

The town centre plan (which is 30 years old) also shows Lougheed & Willingdon as grade separated, wake me when that happens.
I don't have it in front of me, but there are documents showing Burnaby's interest in a separated MUP overpass at Willingdon. The northwest sidewalk/bike path heavily implies it too.

Also, wake up honey it's time for school. You might find that crossing Lougheed at Lougheed & Willingdon as a pedestrian is already grade separated. The Skytrain station doubles as a pedestrian overpass. Obviously not full grade separation, but a nice to have anyway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbin View Post
that the Canada Way/Willingdon corner is the busiest corner of BCIT.
The busiest "corner" of BCIT is the intersection of Goard Way and Willingdon. This is where I imagine a station would go, as it is in the middle of campus and thus closest to the most students.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:12 PM

TransLink can much more easily run an upgraded 123 and/or RapidBus at Canada Way than Goard, so at best it'll probably be the south side by the parking lots.

A fair distance, but consider that it's only half the walk from station to campus that Langara students have to make!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 9:06 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Yeah but where else besides prime former industrial areas can we put new housing? All the vast swaths of residential land across the lower mainland are already pack to the brim! /s

Look guys, we have no space anymore, ok? We are all too built up!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley