HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
MLS introduced soccer specific stadiums in North America. Almost every team has a stadium build/renovated in the last 10-15 years.
Anyway arguing with you is pointless. I never said anything about the CFL to begin with. My comment was only about the Als and how they behind the Impact in Montreal (that's a fact). You somehow took that and twisted it as if I was an CFL hater (which I am not). I was the first one to criticize the Impact for not investing on players early last year.
I think all things being equal - both the Als and Impact playing well or playing poorly - the Als would come out slightly ahead in popularity.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Is anyone able to provide the historical MLS TV numbers? It would be interesting to see the incline of viewers per year for MLS in Canada. It would be interesting to compre those numbers as well to the Euro leagues.
It's not very pretty

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
MLS introduced soccer specific stadiums in North America. Almost every team has a stadium build/renovated in the last 10-15 years.
Anyway arguing with you is pointless. I never said anything about the CFL to begin with. My comment was only about the Als and how they behind the Impact in Montreal (that's a fact). You somehow took that and twisted it as if I was an CFL hater (which I am not). I was the first one to criticize the Impact for not investing on players early last year.
Im not labeling you as a CFL hater. I'm just disagreeing with you

I'm just asking for any shred of proof that the Als are behind the impact beyond your biased opinion. Because the als are outdrawing the impact in terms of attendance and doubling TV ratings.
Quote:
about the Als and how they behind the Impact in Montreal (that's a fact).
Please...explain how You have come to this conclusion. And please leave facebook likes out of it because...its stupid. Also refrain from mentioning The future of the MLS because it has nothing to do with the present. I would love an explanation of how attendance figures (both historical and present) and TV ratings are irrelevant to __________________________________________________ and that's why the impact are more popular in Montreal. (fill in blank)

And again I'm not saying that the impact aren't the #2 in Montreal. I just want an explanation because all signs point the other way.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:49 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

The Als are not outdrawing the Impact. Not only did the Impact have considerably more league home games, they also had CONCACAF Champions League games, some of which packed the Olympic Stadium. Its not even close.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
The Als are not outdrawing the Impact. Not only did the Impact have considerably more league home games, they also had CONCACAF Champions League games, some of which packed the Olympic Stadium. Its not even close.
What have the Impacts tv ratings been like?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:24 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
MLS tv ratings are low, its an attendance oriented league.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
TV ratings don't mean much. Raptors for example don't even draw 80k most games in TV but they make more money in one night than most CFL teams do in a year.

NBA has painfully bad ratings in Canada but it is the third most popular sport in the country. NBA has the youngest fan base that watches most games online.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Do you have a concrete number for this? link? source? It's funny that the ownership of the impact can admit that they are worried about attendance issues but a TFC fan isn't. what was the impacts average last season? I know the als averaged just about 23K (which is more than saputo seats) so I highly doubt its not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
TV ratings don't mean much. Raptors for example don't even draw 80k most games in TV but they make more money in one night than most CFL teams do in a year.

NBA has painfully bad ratings in Canada but it is the third most popular sport in the country. NBA has the youngest fan base that watches most games online.
You can't compare the 2 like that. Again I bring up the strength of the NBA in NA as opposed to the strength of the raptors in Toronto. The leafs are the sports meca of Toronto the raps don`t even come close yet they make around the same profits and have the same "likes on facebook" Why are you comparing the CFL to the NBA. And again soccer fans disrespecting the CFL. NBA may be the most popular in Toronto and the USA. but not in canada. Attendance and TV rating point to the CFL being #2 in Canada.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Mar 2, 2016 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:59 AM

Speaking of the Argos they are doing pretty good in ticket sales considering they weren't even available. Opened season tickets to the Public with only 15,598 up for grabs. 11,402 sold in presale From what I gather.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 2:26 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont...age_attendance
(Look under "average attendance").

L'impacts league average attendance was 18k, their CONCACAF champions league average was 44k, total attendance was 495k. The Alouettes not only have lower average turnout they have lower total turnout, by far. They may play at Saputo but they also play at Olympic stadium for CONCACAF matches hence those high attendance scores for so many matches.

Saputo was complaining about attendance because he used to be one of the stingiest investors in MLS. He changed his approach half way through the year and its paying dividends.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post

The Raptors make more in one night than the CFL all season? Do you have those figures? Does that account for labour day games, playoffs, Grey Cup, and regular season sell outs at various stadiums throughout the season? I thought I heard the Sask Riders has the 3rd most merchandise revenue behind the Leafs and Canadiens

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...her_teams.html

Where do you get the figures for Raptors online viewers? It's kind of a hard argue net to make that although there are only 80k viewers on TV, come out saying the NBA is the 3rd most popular sport in this country.

For NHL, NBA, MLB, NHL, CFL the TV viewership matters, so why for some reason for MLS it doesn't matter?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont...age_attendance
(Look under "average attendance").

L'impacts league average attendance was 18k, their CONCACAF champions league average was 44k, total attendance was 495k. The Alouettes not only have lower average turnout they have lower total turnout, by far.

Saputo was complaining about attendance because he used to be one of the stingiest investors in MLS. He changed his approach half way through the year and its paying dividends.
Well of course they have lower total turnout they play 9 home games to the MLS's 17... All I care about is league average which was slightly under 18K about 5000 less than the Als. I love how you reach so far to help your cause. I don't wanna hear about these big event's (in a big event's city) that have nothing to do with the MLS. If saputo was packed game in game out this would help your point

The average of the 9 games the CFL play vs the average of the 17 MLS games is all that matters.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 2:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I believe the big CONCACAF Champions League games last year drew about 500k TV viewers.

That's more than a regular season Alouettes game but only half of the ratings when the Alouettes play in the Grey Cup: over 1 million.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
The Raptors make more in one night than the CFL all season? Do you have those figures? Does that account for labour day games, playoffs, Grey Cup, and regular season sell outs at various stadiums throughout the season? I thought I heard the Sask Riders has the 3rd most merchandise revenue behind the Leafs and Canadiens

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...her_teams.html

Where do you get the figures for Raptors online viewers? It's kind of a hard argue net to make that although there are only 80k viewers on TV, come out saying the NBA is the 3rd most popular sport in this country.

For NHL, NBA, MLB, NHL, CFL the TV viewership matters, so why for some reason for MLS it doesn't matter?
Because it doesn't help the cause. Things that usually are irrelevant just become irrelevant in seconds .

The CFL is the second most viewed league in Canadian sports...Irrelelvent

The CFL is BY FAR The second most attended sports league in canada...irrelevant

You can provide all the solid evidence and proof you want. They will make up stats off the top of there head. "The NBA is the 3rd most popular sport in this country" It's like Toronto speaks for the rest of canada.

They literally have no respect for the CFL in canada. This delusional idea that the 3 MLS teams in Canada are going to be the death of the CFL who out draws them in every way possible. 700,000 people watch Argo's games and in every year but 2 they have out drawn them in attendance and to any MLS/TFC fan it doesn't matter. They won't give you a reason why...but will insist TV rating's and attendance doesn't matter. not a word of a lie on the REd patch boys forum a member talked about the feasibility of *****RESCHEDULING THE GREY CUP****** if TFC made the playoffs because it would interfear. Unbelievable ignorance.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:05 AM

Depuis que Drogba est à Montréal, l'Impact est 2e derrière le Canadien.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:15 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Well of course they have lower total turnout they play 9 home games to the MLS's 17... All I care about is league average which was slightly under 18K about 5000 less than the Als. I love how you reach so far to help your cause. I don't wanna hear about these big event's (in a big event's city) that have nothing to do with the MLS. If saputo was packed game in game out this would help your point

The average of the 9 games the CFL play vs the average of the 17 MLS games is all that matters.
CONCACAF has everything to do with MLS lol, its the regional league for MLS teams. The Impact specifically marketed it as the more important series that year. The money still went to the Impact and the attention and buzz was definitely on the Impact. The debate was about which team had the higher status in the city and these stats show Impact gets way more support than the Als right now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Depuis que Drogba est à Montréal, l'Impact est 2e derrière le Canadien.
Really so why hasn't that translated into sell outs? actually attendance dropped since his arrival? Do superstars playing in the city trump fan support? because if so TFC,raps and jays are destroying the leafs in popularity

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:22 AM

Quote:
The debate was about which team had the higher status in the city and these stats show Impact gets way more support than the Als right now.
NO and NO

The debate was about who was more popular not who had the "higher status". Those stats only prove that the impact had MORE OPPORTUNITY to attract fans than the als last year. And like I said if saputo was packed than you could use that to help your case.

If the als made the eastern conference Finals and sold out the Big O you would discredit That immediately. But because it works for you it can enter this debate.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Really so why hasn't that translated into sell outs? actually attendance dropped since his arrival? Do superstars playing in the city trump fan support? because if so TFC,raps and jays are destroying the leafs in popularity
I believe that L'Impact sold out all of their games after Drogba arrived.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:31 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
NO and NO

The debate was about who was more popular not who had the "higher status". Those stats only prove that the impact had MORE OPPORTUNITY to attract fans than the als last year. And like I said if saputo was packed than you could use that to help your case.

If the als made the eastern conference Finals and sold out the Big O you would discredit That immediately. But because it works for you it can enter this debate.
Olympic Stadium was packed by the Impact numerous times. I love how when Montrealers unanimously insist that Impact has more support than the Als theyre met with aggressive denials and selective statistical interpretations from those in the prairies. The same thing happens when Torontonians state the Argos dont have nearly as much grassroots support as TFC. Some people think they know the situation in other cities better than people who live there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada