HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Exactly, 10023's notion that individual families will perform a deconversion is a joke. The costs and challenges of a construction project, not to mention the need for interim housing, are prohibitive for 99% of Chicago families. "Growing in place" through deconversion is not really a solution.

Just think about it... a 3-bedroom unit is not double the value of a 1 or 2-bedroom unit, so in virtually every case it makes more financial sense for the growing family to move into a larger apartment somewhere else than to purchase two units and combine them.
Speaking for myself, and likely what 10023 meant as well, it’s obvious that it’s not necessarily the actual residents of a two-flat who are moving into the deconverted building. The point is that *some* family looking for that much space will occupy the new home. If deconversions are difficult, that family that would occupy that home will leave the city or decide not to come to the city at all, depending (and, again, this is not necessarily one of the families previously occupying the building).

As for what happens to the families previously occupying the two-flat, there are many closer substitutes in the city to what they had than there are close substitutes for a family seeking a large SFH. Which is why simultaneously allowing more dense development to provide those options is important.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:19 PM

This downzoning is going to be done without any commensurate upzoning of the commercial corridors to enable denser/taller residential. I don't know why we are pretending that it will be addressed as part and parcel.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:59 PM

Demo underway at father and son plaza on north ave

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Demo underway at father and son plaza on north ave

Goodbye, like, forever

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Yes. Someone with some $$ usually comes in and buys the property, renovates and makes it into SFH for their own family. It's kind of surprising it happens so much and it's not your regular type of process. Curious if people do this because say a 2 flat sometimes is cheaper even with a $100K renovation ..or..?
I’ve looked at buying certain 2-bedroom apartments in rowhouses, where the bottom two floors are one apartment and the upper two are another (so basically 2-flats), with the express idea of having the option to expand later when I am able and have the need. And yes it’s cheaper. Looking at comps it’s really a 2+2=5 situtation (or at least 2+2+.5=5, accounting for the building work).

But like I said, certain local councils in London are more or less amenable to this.

To answer another question, I wasn’t implying that individual families will do the deconversion. Certainly not renters. But owners certainly might. New Yorkers in larger buildings have been buying the apartment next door, above or below in order to combine them into a larger apartment since time immemorial.

But as Khantilever said, it doesn’t matter. The specific people are fungible. The point is that building has space for 4 bedrooms, whether they’re split between two separate homes or not, and will be occupied by people who require 4 bedrooms. Maybe it’s another pair of 20-something roommates, maybe it’s some 50-year-old couple’s teenage kids. Who cares. De-converting into a SFH doesn’t necessarily mean housing is available for fewer people, and certainly doesn’t result in a 1:2 reduction across the board.

If you want to make more housing available, then build bigger buildings with more square footage, in which more people can live.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Aug 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:28 PM

IMG_1063 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr

IMG_1064 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr

Columbus sidewalk really needed this lol

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:29 PM

IMG_1072 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr
IMG_1074 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr

56 Huron

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:31 PM

IMG_1076 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr
IMG_1079 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr
IMG_1082 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr

Home2 Suites

Don't love this blank face, but it faces an alley so hopefully this lot next door goes up soon to block it.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:34 PM

IMG_1094 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr
IMG_1095 by Andrew Wuehler, on Flickr

Three Sixty West

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:50 PM

^^ Nice tour AMW, TY

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 12:48 AM
Plenary pleasures.

8/30 Old Cook County hospital exterior cleaning..with damn poles in my way!!!

Next time, I'll get closer

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:27 AM
1st Ward

What a difference once you scrape decades worth of grime off of it. Literally night and day.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:31 AM

It's just amazing how much dirt is on that thing. It's going to look awesome once the entire thing is done just power washing alone.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:37 AM

And to think they almost tore it down!! It will look great and ready for rehab in a few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:29 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
And to think they almost tore it down!! It will look great and ready for rehab in a few weeks.
I'll always hate the Stroger family for that.

I mean, also all the corruption, wasting of tax payer dollars, nepotism, etc. But that's basically par for the course for any Chicago area politician.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
UIC will tap state's $500M Discovery Partners fund for expansion

UIC will be able to tap millions of dollars of the DPI funding to move past the financing “hump” in making the two new buildings a reality, even though they will also require additional revenue streams from the school and a UIC bond sale, Chancellor Michael Amiridis said today in an interview.

With another record incoming class this year and intense demand from students for computer science as well as health care studies, Amiridis says the new facilities are much needed at the near West Side university, which last year had 30,539 students.

He expects the new five-story “drug discovery and innovation pavilion,” with 110,000 square feet of space, and another five-story new “computing design, research and learning center,” with about 145,000 square feet, to cost about $200 million, with less than half of that cost covered by the money allocated to DPI. Best case scenario, the new buildings would be completed by the summer of 2020, he said. The buildings will be located on the existing UIC campus and not on the South Loop site that's currently envisioned for the DPI.
Source: Crain's (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/educa...fund-expansion)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:12 PM

Some projects in and around Lakeview:

1. Grace/Lincoln

2. Patterson/Clark (Next to Hotel Zachary)

3. Cornelia/Clark

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:32 PM

So the Chicago Architecture Foundation, ahem, Chicago Architecture Center is now charging $12 to visit. So much for frequently spending part of my lunch hour there like I used to at the old location. Shame about my not buying merchandise there, like I almost always did when I spent part of my lunch hour there.

I mean, I will go, and give them my $12, but not spontaneously like I used to. They better have good rotating exhibits.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
So the Chicago Architecture Foundation, ahem, Chicago Architecture Center is now charging $12 to visit. So much for frequently spending part of my lunch hour there like I used to at the old location. Shame about my not buying merchandise there, like I almost always did when I spent part of my lunch hour there.

I mean, I will go, and give them my $12, but not spontaneously like I used to. They better have good rotating exhibits.
Or maybe just become a member? Definitely worth it for being able to skip the lines at OHC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development