HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:14 PM

seven10west (Grand)

Aug 11

711 - 710 - real close

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:11 AM

Milwaukee / Huron

Aug 11

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:53 AM
Chicago

Columbia College Student Center - 728 S Wabash

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:54 AM
Chicago

1306 S Michigan

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:56 AM
Chicago

751 S Dearborn

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:57 AM
Chicago

820 S Michigan

August 22, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:58 AM
Chicago

321 N Clark

August 23, 2018

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 11

very cool that they moved the body shop neon sign to their new location!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

New 139K indoor track training facility broke ground in Pullman yesterday:

(Images from link)

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/08...e-citys-first/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:23 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 21

Neat! Anyone have any idea when the Mart visual art lighting will be ready to roll?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:24 AM

^^ Good stuff Sentinel. This is major These are the type of things the Southside has sorely lacked in the past. Everyone needs outlets... things that keep you busy and interested. For me it was playing baseball for Jackie Robinson West. From there, a scholarship to college, then on to law school and ultimately becoming a lawyer. It was a springboard for me... a launching pad if you will. It gave me a foundation of competing in the world, working with others and learning how to win. Granted I was blessed with great parents but the ever present lure of gang life was always trying to pull me in... but I had baseball - I had goals, I had dreams, I had baseball to keep me interested and occupied. That was huge!

That said, baseball is a skilled craft that is just not for everyone. Every year JRW would cut a good number of aspiring ballplayers. Those kids would go home with literally nothing to do for the summer. But running is a little different. Just about everyone can run in some form or fashion. Moreover, this facility will host football, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, and outdoor soccer games and more. This facility will pretty much have something for everyone - outstanding!

I have no doubt that this new facility is going to save lives by keeping some kid (many kids?) away from gang life/drug life/a life of crime... which in turn, will save the life of some innocent bystander(s) in the years to come. Its virtually impossible to quantify how many lives will be changed/saved by having a facility like this, but that there no doubt in my mind that that is exactly what it will do - save lives.

From new proposals, to new construction and rehab projects to now offering kids an outlet and place to gather for positive activity.... though progress has been painstaking (often like pulling teeth), with projects like this quietly springing up, there is little doubt that the Southside is seeing a somewhat slow but steady re-invigoration/revitalization.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:31 AM

^ It is interesting looking back at the population estimates by community area. Although there's a ton of population loss in areas around Englewood down to Auburn Gresham, there is actually really healthy population gain not only in the overall Bronzeville/Washington Park area but also around Pullman, Washington Heights, Ashburn, etc. Actually pretty impressive numbers though it doesn't make the news. Then again, what's actually happening in Chicago at the neighborhood level as far as growth never makes the news. Everyone just assumes that every part of the city is losing population (very far from the truth) because they're n00bs when it comes to understanding cities.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:45 AM
1st Ward

^ Doom and gloom sells, which is why that's all we hear from the media. Positive neighborhood news? That certainly won't make shareholders happy!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:54 AM

Great stats Marothisu.... I had no idea. All I keep hearing is everyone is leaving. Lol. Although I have personally seen very little evidence of that - now I know why... because I rarely spend time in Englewood.

Great work btw Marothisu and Left of Center in the Obama Library thread

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:04 AM
TL;DR

Makes sense. There is a massive Black exodus from many older neighborhoods of the South Side... roughly 11k-12k per year on average.

Maybe some of those people leave Chicagoland entirely, but that's expensive and can be difficult without existing connections in another city... figure 1/3 of the population drain does this. That leaves 2/3 of the Black migrants staying in Chicagoland. Likely they are moving south to escape violence and other issues. Many of them are going to the suburbs, but it makes sense that others would stay in Chicago and just move closer to 130th into neighborhoods with newer (post-1920) housing stock, mostly bungalows. I don't see much housing construction in these areas, so any increase in population must be fitting into the existing housing stock - either grouping up in apartments, or possibly renovations to long-vacant properties.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Great stats Marothisu.... I had no idea. All I keep hearing is everyone is leaving. Lol. Although I have personally seen very little evidence of that - now I know why... because I rarely spend time in Englewood.

Great work btw Marothisu and Left of Center in the Obama Library thread
Thanks. Just in case we are wondering, here are some of the south and southwest side community areas that actually estimated growth from 2010 ACS to 2016 ACS. Keep in mind that if you compare to the 2010 Census (which you aren't technically supposed to do) then things may be different:

Near South Side: +5312 people (+29.71%)
Woodlawn: +2437 people (+10.33%)
Gage Park: +2076 people (+5.34%)
West Elsdon: +2025 people (+11.31%)
Riverdale: +1494 people (+25.37%)
Washington Park: +1390 people (+13.27%)
Bridgeport: +1258 people (+3.98%)
Clearing: +1135 people (+4.72%)
South Lawndale: +1081 people (+1.48%)
Douglas: +1035 people (+5.30%)
Ashburn: +901 people (+2.13%)
West Lawn: +897 people (+2.74%)
Grand Boulevard: +753 people (+3.44%)
Hyde Park: +695 people (+2.69%)
Oakland: +639 people (+10.95%)
Mount Greenwood: +532 people (+2.88%)
McKinley Park: +438 people (+2.80%)
Archer Heights: +300 people (+2.31%)
Chicago Lawn: +142 people (+0.26%)
Garfield Ridge: +92 people (+0.26%)
Brighton Park: +71 people (+0.16%)
Armour Square: +40 people (+0.29%)

Morgan Park is also in the thousands, but the area is a bit weird so I don't know the exact count, but it definitely grew a lot. So really it's 23 areas of growth alone on the south and southwest sides 2010 ACS vs. 2016 ACS. Avalon Park also posted loss of 108 people meaning the 2017 Census could be above 0, who knows.

Also just want to point out that Douglas, Oakland, Grand Boulevard, and Washington Park here together posted an estimated population gain of 3817 people, which is a 6.6% gain of population.

Now, for the sake of argument, let's just look at if we compared against the 2010 Census even though you aren't technically supposed to:

Douglas: +2321 people (+12.73%)
Ashburn: +2202 people (+5.36%)
Clearing: +2061 people (+8.91%)
West Elsdon: +1823 people (+10.07%)
Near South Side: +1800 people (+8.42%)
West Pullman: +1142 people (+3.85%)
Gage Park: +1032 people (+2.59%)
Garfield Ridge: +1029 people (+2.98%)
Bridgeport: +928 people (+2.91%)
Riverdale: +900 people (+13.88%)
Hyde Park: +892 people (+3.47%)
Beverly: +802 people (+4.00%)
Grand Boulevard: +705 people (+3.21%)
Washington Heights: +562 people (+2.12%)
Oakland: +556 people (+9.40%)
McKinley Park: +452 people (+2.90%)
Armour Square: +244 people (+1.82%)
West Lawn: +240 people (+0.72%)
Washington Park: +151 people (+1.29%)
Woodlawn: +41 people (+0.16%)

Same story with Morgan Park. So in total that's 21 areas which is similar to the overall count above. Also, the areas of East Side, Mount Greenwood, and Chatham all lost less than 100 people each. Archer Heights and Greater Grand Crossing each at between 100 and 150 lost.

Again, let me call attention to Douglas, Grand Boulevard, Washington Park, and Oakland that together the population change was estimated at a gain of 3733 people, which is a 6.5% gain of population (against the 2010 Census).

So no matter how you slice it, the Census basically projected that Near South Side, Morgan Park, Woodlawn, Douglas, Ashburn, Clearing, West Elsdon, Gage Park, Garfield Ridge, Bridgeport, Hyde Park, Riverdale, Grand Boulevard, Washington Park, Oakland, McKinley Park, Armour Square, and West Lawn all increased in population by some amount since 2010. That's 18 total areas.

You listen to the news though and you think that the south side everywhere in imploding and decreasing with population. Not true at all, at least according to the US Census numbers. I also just want to point out that areas that get some press here like Hyde Park and Bridgeport are actually lower in growth individually than areas like Gage Park, West Elsdon, etc. The whole Bronzeville+Washington Park area is estimated to be growing no matter how you slice it around 6.5% with around 3800 people gained. This entire change in population is a bit higher than Hyde Park and Bridgeport individually.

SO the flip side? If you look at 2010 ACS vs. 2016 ACS, then you have these areas for loss:
West Englewood: -7910 people
Auburn Gresham: -7231 people
Englewood: -7012 people
West Pullman: -5570 people
Roseland: -5319 people
South Chicago: -4835 people
Chatham: -4077 people
Lower West Side: -2510 people
New City: -2404 people
Greater Grand Crossing: -2378 people
East Side: -2203 people
Calumet Heights: -1648 people
South Deering: -1628 people
Hegewisch: -1605 people
Pullman: -1103 people
Burnside: -990 people
Kenwood: -962 people

etc.

Just wanted to point out that the area of Englewood, West Englewood, Greater Grand Crossing, Auburn Gresham, and Chatham alone are responsible for a loss of 28,608 people estimated (if you compare 2010 Census to 2016 ACS then it's 12,537 people lost). This is basically equivalent to the loss of the next 9 areas combined.. The four areas that make up greater downtown area gained a little over 43,000 people...

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:42 AM
TL;DR

^ Ah, so my theory was totally off. Looks like the traditional Black Belt neighborhoods between the lakefront and the Dan Ryan are the ones seeing growth, and those actually are seeing some new construction along with lots of rehabs.

Then you've got a separate trend west of Western, which is outward growth from the Hispanic southwest side, mixed with growth in Hispanics and Asians along the Archer Ave corridor.

Riverdale is the one outlier here; the entire neighborhood is three large developments, the biggest one being Altgeld Gardens. CHA has been rehabbing Altgeld, so the growth there is probably the result of vacant units coming back online.

The heart of the South Side is the vast 60 sq. mi area between Western and the crooked Dan Ryan/Skyway path of I-90, from 47th to 130th, and every single neighborhood in that area is losing population except the white Beverly area and Riverdale for the reasons above.

Also, kinda weird to list South Lawndale (Little Village) as south side instead of west side, but

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:47 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hyde Park might be funny because so many people there are students, and I'm not sure how the reporting works in that case. I do seem to notice that more and more UChicago students/postdocs seem to see Woodlawn as a viable option (although basically restricted to north of 63rd).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Ah, so my theory was totally off. Looks like the traditional Black Belt neighborhoods between the lakefront and the Dan Ryan are the ones seeing growth, and those actually are seeing some new construction along with lots of rehabs.

Then you've got a separate trend west of Western, which is outward growth from the Hispanic southwest side, mixed with growth in Hispanics and Asians along the Archer Ave corridor.

Riverdale is the one outlier here; the entire neighborhood is three large developments, the biggest one being Altgeld Gardens. CHA has been rehabbing Altgeld, so the growth there is probably the result of vacant units coming back online.
Yes, the south lakefront is growing in many ways. Not only population but also education level, income levels (for the most part though not everywhere), etc. This includes parts of Woodlawn and maybe parts of South Shore too - slight amount of gentrification going on there but not too much. Further south areas are interesting too because there's a decent number of home sales going on in areas like West Pullman, Washington Heights, South Shore, and I think even Chatham. There's some interesting stuff going on there possibly.

About the sales thing, at least according to data I collected from realtor.com..Auburn Gresham weirdly had more property sales than Lincoln Square in July. South Shore and Roseland both had more sales than Avondale, Norwood Park, etc. Washington Heights, West Pullman, and Chicago Lawn each had more property sales than Humboldt Park, Bridgeport, Jefferson Park, etc. Chatham had more sales than McKinley Park though that's not saying a lot at this point..

And then on the flip side, the neighborhoods plagued by gang violence on the south side are ones that are seeing massive depopulation and really seeing no gain in level of education, income, etc like areas like Bronzeville. These areas haven't seen much investment though like growth areas have, so I think it goes without saying that the city should find more ways to get people to invest in some of these areas. Of course, that's easier said than done for numerous reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also, kinda weird to list South Lawndale (Little Village) as south side instead of west side, but
Many people consider it southwest side though you could definitely argue that some parts are west side and some parts are SW side. It's a big area, relatively.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:51 AM
Closed account

Worth noting that the 2017 ACS 1-year data comes out September 13th. Get ready for more hot takes from the media. I personally can't wait for the marothisu breakdown and resulting discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development