HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:11 AM

I think it's unfortunate they aren't interested in preserving the Mills or doing something with integrating their elements into a new station. There's an opportunity to do something really cool there. That said, new metra hub is exciting in itself. But hate the inpulse to just blanket tear down fascinating old industrial architecture which speaks to the history of the area ( imagie exiting a train through the preserved ruins, with that large overhead concrete space, or having their she'll serve as a totem waypoint, with art projects integrated into them). For all the cash they have, SB designs tend to be pretty vanilla and not all that cutting edge sadly

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A station for MD-N, MD-W and NCS trains could be built very easily and relatively cheaply. Maybe under $10M, Lombard just built all of this for $8M. Just platforms (there is already room for platforms) and a bridge or tunnel to cross the tracks.

Platforms for UP-W trains would be more difficult. Those tracks sit on a tight viaduct with no room on the sides for platforms... eventually Metra's project to rebuild the A-2 interlocking could move the UP tracks up even higher onto a flyover structure and maybe clear some room for platforms to be added.
This seems like an enormous opportunity as this plot of land sits right on Ogden, which connects to the Goose Island area where SB is looking for improved commuter access. Ogden has a wide right-of-way and connects the Blue, Green and Pink lines. It also touches the UP-N and UP-NW lines.

Could this be a light rail candidate or a first step in a Circle Line?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I think it's unfortunate they aren't interested in preserving the Mills or doing something with integrating their elements into a new station. There's an opportunity to do something really cool there. That said, new metra hub is exciting in itself. But hate the inpulse to just blanket tear down fascinating old industrial architecture which speaks to the history of the area ( imagie exiting a train through the preserved ruins, with that large overhead concrete space, or having their she'll serve as a totem waypoint, with art projects integrated into them). For all the cash they have, SB designs tend to be pretty vanilla and not all that cutting edge sadly
I agree about SB and their lack of imagination design-wise.

They have really grown rapidly into a prominent city developer (none of us ever heard of them 5 years ago), but they do have a bit of a civic duty to up their game with all of the zoning allowances they are being given. The Metra Station is one, but also higher design is another.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Also speaking of Milwaukee Ave - small stuff, but a 17 unit + ground floor retail building was issued for a new construction building permit at Milwaukee & Ridgeway a few blocks south of Belmont. Currently a vacant lot, so that's good to see:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.7206523
Nice, we met with the developers a while ago on this, it's the old Polish Matress Store which was really not a great business for the area to begin with. I'm glad they are actually moving forward with it.

Originally this was proposed to be an upzoning so they could build the same FAR, but with more units. It was originally going to be 30 regular units and 3 affordable units, all rentals with a 0.5 parking ratio. Then they raised the ARO requirements and the developers dropped the zoning change and are building the same sized building, but with only 17 units which are now condos and twice the size with no affordable units and a 1 to 1 parking ratio. Man that ARO is really helping create affordable housing!

Quote:
Uh you do realize what happened with the first project that made SB big right? Did you watch how much of a nightmare the Fulton Cold Storage rehab was? They ended up having to trash everything and clad from scratch and also having to patch massive amounts of rotted concrete. Can you really blame them for not wanting to find a way to re-purpose 100 year old grain elevators? Also they are banned from doing anything other than office north of Lake so their options are limited for reuse of such a unique structure.

Also in what world does SB need to up their design game? I thought we were all just fawning over their McD HQ and the new CH Robinson HQ which both turned out fantastic. SB is putting out by far the highest average design quality of any developer in the city.

Also the notion of just keeping the "preserved ruins" of a grain elevator is abhorrent. I mean do you not see how hypocritical it is for someone so concerned about spreading gentrification to be like "let's preserve a useless industrial structure sitting on some of the most prime land in the city because it looks cool". Yeah, that won't just cause the demand that SB is going to fill on this site to spread somewhere else where it might displace people...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:52 PM
The City

^ I definitely have been less impressed with some of their more recent office proposals, I'm not saying they are terrible, but I would like to see them do something better

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Also the notion of just keeping the "preserved ruins" of a grain elevator is abhorrent. I mean do you not see how hypocritical it is for someone so concerned about spreading gentrification to be like "let's preserve a useless industrial structure sitting on some of the most prime land in the city because it looks cool". Yeah, that won't just cause the demand that SB is going to fill on this site to spread somewhere else where it might displace people...

If they have to demolish the silos themselves, so be it (they would probably be hard to repurpose). However, there's a handsome 6-story brick building adjacent to the silos that I hope is preserved somehow. If residential uses are banned, perhaps it could be turned into a hotel as part of a Metra/light rail hub.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:14 PM

The West Loop Metra Station could be a huge differentiator that will help make an O'Hare express train viable. Also, as mentioned before, this would really help to cement the Ogden option as the most likely for the Circle Line.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 11

and just a bit further west https://liveam1980.com/ Armitage and Western

I drove by this the other day and it looks legitimately horrible on the corner, but the re-use of the cornice and the work on the south east part of the property looks kind of nice... frankly its an extremely bizarre project that you should really see in person!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I drove by this the other day and it looks legitimately horrible on the corner, but the re-use of the cornice and the work on the south east part of the property looks kind of nice... frankly its an extremely bizarre project that you should really see in person!
definitely - and paired with the building across the street - the hood has changed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I live right by this and walk by twice per day.... I think it's a very nice upgrade. Not sure how it could be described as horrible...

The facade of the old building being added does look a bit strange and it's the result of some "preservation guy" on Facebook complaining to the alderman.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:39 PM
The City

How is a building with a rounded corner that meets the street on all sides "horrible"?

Silly comment

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:04 PM

Yeah I see it almost daily and it's one of the nicer TOD projects in my opinion. They did a killer job saving that facade and I wish we would see a whole lot more of that. They also used decent materials all around. The only criticism I have is that the design's massing is a bit befuddled by the preservation of the facade. It would have been nice if this project had one graceful curve from end to end, but the old facade disrupts this. Well worth preservation despite that issue though.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
How is a building with a rounded corner that meets the street on all sides "horrible"?

Silly comment
the fact that despite the tiny historic preservation the rest of the building looks like it belongs near the train station in shaumburg? its hideous, go see it in person

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:35 PM
The City

Quote:
the fact that despite the tiny historic preservation the rest of the building looks like it belongs near the train station in shaumburg? its hideous, go see it in person
I get that, but you specifically stated that the corner of the building is horrible.

I mean, that's the best part about this building.

And show me buildings in Schaumburg that look like this. The hyperbole on this forum just keeps shooting for the stratosphere.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 21, 2018

Interesting facts for you- Each projector has its own dedicated exhaust duct and is valued at $90k. The electric bill is expected to hit $500,000 a year. Saturday 9/29 the lights go on

Should be cool to see.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
uhhhh

I said in my comment I walk by it twice per day

jesus

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:13 PM
Closed account

More Logan Square

New development at Belden and the Blue Line (near Milwaukee Ave.) - poor image quality, but some nice infill in the neighborhood.

Renovations at Darwin Public School (Belden and Kedzie) - one of those beautiful old CPS buildings.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Nice, we met with the developers a while ago on this, it's the old Polish Matress Store which was really not a great business for the area to begin with. I'm glad they are actually moving forward with it.

Originally this was proposed to be an upzoning so they could build the same FAR, but with more units. It was originally going to be 30 regular units and 3 affordable units, all rentals with a 0.5 parking ratio. Then they raised the ARO requirements and the developers dropped the zoning change and are building the same sized building, but with only 17 units which are now condos and twice the size with no affordable units and a 1 to 1 parking ratio. Man that ARO is really helping create affordable housing!

Uh you do realize what happened with the first project that made SB big right? Did you watch how much of a nightmare the Fulton Cold Storage rehab was? They ended up having to trash everything and clad from scratch and also having to patch massive amounts of rotted concrete. Can you really blame them for not wanting to find a way to re-purpose 100 year old grain elevators? Also they are banned from doing anything other than office north of Lake so their options are limited for reuse of such a unique structure.

Also in what world does SB need to up their design game? I thought we were all just fawning over their McD HQ and the new CH Robinson HQ which both turned out fantastic. SB is putting out by far the highest average design quality of any developer in the city.

Does what I said deserve eye rolls? Yes, cold storage had bigger problems than anticipated, which is unfortunate. The project would have been aesthetically better if the original vision was met. Does it mean they should never try industrial preservation ever again?

Look at what Rome is doing with integrating architecturally significant sites into their modern designs or Subway stations. There's a station in Barcelona built into a car e with exposed rock. These industrial factories and power plans represent our own ancient Rome that has potential if it is used right.

My point is lots of other countries reuse these types of structures in modern designs and reuse. You dont think it would be cool to o build a train station out of a grain elevator? Where's your sense of creativity?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:49 PM

Old grain elevators

Quote:
...snip...

My point is lots of other countries reuse these types of structures in modern designs and reuse. You dont think it would be cool to o build a train station out of a grain elevator? Where's your sense of creativity?
A natural for re-use https://upperlimits.com/bloomington/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:32 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development