HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:33 PM

Huh, the hospital building is brick with terra cotta ornamentation not limestone.
And the rendering show all the details still intact. If you mean the yellow panels under the engaged columns, that's yellow terra cotta that is already on the building that is quite ornate.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Huh, the hospital building is brick with terra cotta ornamentation not limestone.
And the rendering show all the details still intact. If you mean the yellow panels under the engaged columns, that's yellow terra cotta that is already on the building that is quite ornate.
Oh even better. It's gonna look fab.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
look at harry's pic and then look at the rendering, tons of details are missing especially below the pillars

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:54 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
looks to me in the rendering like they are stripping all the ornate details off the façade of the CCH and will be replacing all that limestone with ugly yellow precast panels... blech
Embarrassingly wrong

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:17 PM

This forum has a strange tendency to nitpick details in renderings. These are NEVER contract documents. They’re a marketing, sales or publicity tool. The implementation or accuracy of details and embellishment are contingent on the competency of artist, time, budget and connection to the project. Done in-house at a firm, the quality can drop if there’s a tight schedule so don’t make assumptions on what materials will be unless you have reviewed the drawings and specifications. If you’re given a deadline or a small budget, no one is gonna sit modeling or illustrating acanthus leaves, reliefs, and limestone scoring when these images will be shrunk down and viewed on a mobile device.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
look at harry's pic and then look at the rendering, tons of details are missing especially below the pillars
Hmm, it's almost as if one is a representation of what it may look like and the other is a photograph of what it does look like...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:26 PM

Piles are in the ground at Megamall in Logan, looks like she's under construction.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:27 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
a tourist destination.
Ummm . . . a tourist destination?

Restaurants around there will undoubtedly be rushing to get their menus translated into Chinese and German. I wonder if I'm too late to get some picture postcards printed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A little taste of what Burnham envisioned for much of the city.
I think Burnham was better educated than that.

Happy as I am to see this big pile saved, it is the perfect demonstration of Noah Cross's observation in Chinatown that "politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." CCH is the 1910s equivalent of some mansarded Jenga stack by Lucien Lagrange, pretending that any assortment of volumes can be made stately by troweling some classical ornament on the front.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
This forum has a strange tendency to nitpick details in renderings. These are NEVER contract documents. They’re a marketing, sales or publicity tool. The implementation or accuracy of details and embellishment are contingent on the competency of artist, time, budget and connection to the project. Done in-house at a firm, the quality can drop if there’s a tight schedule so don’t make assumptions on what materials will be unless you have reviewed the drawings and specifications. If you’re given a deadline or a small budget, no one is gonna sit modeling or illustrating acanthus leaves, reliefs, and limestone scoring when these images will be shrunk down and viewed on a mobile device.
Agree 100%, not to mention the fact that it's very difficult to discern any small details in the images spyguy provided. It's somewhat difficult to represent so much detail on any kind of render; it would take way too long to process the final image, even for a 1920x1080 high definition image.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Happy as I am to see this big pile saved, it is the perfect demonstration of Noah Cross's observation in Chinatown that "politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." CCH is the 1910s equivalent of some mansarded Jenga stack by Lucien Lagrange, pretending that any assortment of volumes can be made stately by troweling some classical ornament on the front.
i dont care much about any of that, as long as high quality materials and attention to detail is employed and its well scaled. if LaGrange used actual brick, hand carved reliefs, terra cotta, and limestone from top to bottom i dont think you'd hear many complaints.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 9:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Ummm . . . a tourist destination?

Restaurants around there will undoubtedly be rushing to get their menus translated into Chinese and German. I wonder if I'm too late to get some picture postcards printed?

I think Burnham was better educated than that.

Huh?? At first you're happy that it's being saved then proceed to prattle on about how it's an ugly building because of it's interior? It's a lovely building, and perhaps one of the best examples of American Beaux-Arts-inspired design from that era. Why not just be happy that the best part of the original building is being salvaged and re-purposed? The interior will be completely gutted and re-purposed as hotel(s), so why assume that it will have any semblance to the original layout?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 10:07 PM

I walked past Cook County Hospital this morning, and they are proceeding full steam ahead. They've already taken down the blue canopy over the entrance.

Other Illinois Medical District news:
- The new Cook Co Hospital building is almost done. Interiors are being outfitted. The sidewalk along Polk St is open now.

- Scaffolding in front of the Cook Co Hospital administration building.

- The two Gateway retail buildings are under construction. Finally...

- According to the Tri-Taylor facebook page, the lot bounded by Hoyne, Flournoy, Leavitt, and Lexington has been closed by the IMDC, but no indication as to why.

- IMD Blue Line Paulina headhouse and ramp look close to finishing, but will likely have to wait for the Ogden entrance and elevator to finish first. Looks a few months away from completion (hopefully end of the year)!

- The parking lot on the former dorm site at Rush (Congress/Ashland) is open.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 10:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^The Cook County Hospital Administration building will be torn down in the near future: HVAC is very outdated and cost-prohibitive to replace, low floor-to-floor heights provide very little flexibility in increasing ceiling height, and the exterior facade is rapidly deteriorating; last year there were a couple of incidents where large portions of brick essentially 'peeled' off due to severely degraded masonry ties. Fortunately, no one was injured, but it's only getting worse.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 10:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Really nice. Getting this building in that condition again will be very important for the city and will become a tourist destination.
Why would a tourist want to see it? It's nice, but in the context of the rest of the world, it's not *that* nice.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 10:41 PM

I suppose the hospital is being converted to a hotel so pretty much everyone who is going there is a tourist in a sense.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 3:07 AM

This is random but I highly suggest "Aerial Cities" by the Smithsonian Channel. All of their episodes are great but the Chicago one is fantastic. I believe you can pick them up for a couple of bucks on Amazon Prime Video.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Why would a tourist want to see it? It's nice, but in the context of the rest of the world, it's not *that* nice.
most of our tourists come from Iowa type locals, Versailles isn't the benchmark here

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
This building stands up pretty well against a lot of those great European buildings. It's not some cheap ripoff of European style, it's an expensive rip off done in one of Chicago's best era's. As for tourists, I did not know people from Iowa spoke German, Dutch, French, Irish , ect. in such large numbers while visiting Chicago.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
most of our tourists come from Iowa type locals, Versailles isn't the benchmark here
55 Million Visitors per year... mostly from Iowa.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
oh ok well when it is done and bland and VE'd like crazy whenever its finished in 20 years I'll be sure to come back to this post and make you eat crow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development