HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Such a blood boiler.
This thing is going to be a complete afterthought anyway amongst a good amount of more notable and taller architecture in the immediate area (and in view if you are closer to something like North Avenue Beach). Pretty much filler at this point and ultimately should have been taller, but also no reason a parcel like that should be a parking lot.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:07 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

It just makes me pull my hair out considering the older neighbor has a blank northern wall in anticipation of a much taller building that will never come thanks to squandering the lot for this stump.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It just makes me pull my hair out considering the older neighbor has a blank northern wall in anticipation of a much taller building that will never come thanks to squandering the lot for this stump.
Yep - it could have and should have been better. However, when I was on the lakefront taking pictures, it was barely even noticeable so I guess that's a positive if there is one to take away other than it taking up a parking lot.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In Chinatown. Always been a favorite of mine to look at/photograph over the years:
What a cool building. Shame about what’s to the right and left.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i moved all of the climate change talk to the general chicago thread.
I thought this was the general Chicago thread.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I thought this was the general Chicago thread.
you thought wrong. this is the chicago general DEVELOPMENTS thread.

it's for news and discussion of all urban developments in chicago of the non-highrise variety.

off topic stuff like climate change or "why can't chicago be more like X" goes in the general chicago thread.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:18 PM
The City

Quote:
off topic stuff like climate change or "why can't chicago be more like X" goes in the general chicago thread.
^ Except for discussions about "Why can't Chicago be more like London", which actually has its own dedicated thread

If your question is "Why can't Chicago be more like Barcelona" or "Why can't Chicago be more like Warsaw, Poland" then discuss in the General Chicago Thread. But for the one guy who wants Chicago to morph into a replica of London, you get to have your own thread!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
you thought wrong. this is the chicago general DEVELOPMENTS thread.

it's for news and discussion of all urban developments in chicago of the non-highrise variety.

Haven't come across that. What is the link?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:55 PM

Looks like this six-story turd got permitted in Humboldt Park.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:51 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Looks like this six-story turd got permitted in Humboldt Park.
Wow, that's a shame, knocking down a handsome old brick building.

Why not just save the damn facade and incorporate it as the base of the new building?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

Why not just save the damn facade and incorporate it as the base of the new building?
Well that would be cool, but then when you're dealing with money and economics, things become a little different.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:21 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well that would be cool, but then when you're dealing with money and economics, things become a little different.
Exactly why the city needs to be more proactive in protecting the historic urban fabric that remains. We are losing it steadily bit by bit, and if we aren't careful we will end up looking like another Dallas or Atlanta (albeit much denser versions of those cities).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:

Also from the article linked:

Though the building is not designated a city landmark, it is deemed historically significant by the National Register of Historic Places. The agency lists it as a ‘contributing building’ in the Chicago Park Boulevard System Historic District. Contributing buildings add to the significance of historic districts, but aren’t so significant that demolition is restricted.

Valadez [Ald Moreno chief of staff] said he was not aware that the building was listed as such until a Sun-Times reporter notified him of the designation. When asked if the designation would impact the alderman’s support, Valadez said, “Perhaps,” adding that he is planning to confer with the city’s Landmarks Department. Wilmot Properties did not return calls for comment.

There seems to be a general lack of information about much of anything involving neighborhood buildings. What is significant? why? With a recent building demolished in the West Loop, the alderman said he had no idea of any architectural significance and no one had contacted him to try to stop demolition. Even groups that are trying to preserve buildings seem to be unable to actually communicate to the larger community.
Something I would suggest is that anyone interested in preservation get ahead of the curve. This building was vacant and owned by a developer. Not surprising the developer wants to replace it. Preservation and community groups should start the call early rather than waiting until it is too late.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:07 AM
The City

Quote:
Exactly why the city needs to be more proactive in protecting the historic urban fabric that remains. We are losing it steadily bit by bit, and if we aren't careful we will end up looking like another Dallas or Atlanta (albeit much denser versions of those cities).
Uhhhh, no.

Even with the teardowns, we ain’t looking even close to as ugly and amorphous as Dallas or Atlanta.

Chicago is actually filling in and becoming more urban, at least in the non bombed-out areas of the city

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:21 AM

That sucks. Having strong preservation policy would help induce redevelopment of empty lots. They can start with everything orange rated must at least have their facade saved - no exceptions. It’s not a lot to ask. If a developer doesn’t like that they can move onto another property to tear down. I realize this specific example isn’t rated by the city which is why perhaps the survey must be updated.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Uhhhh, no.

Even with the teardowns, we ain’t looking even close to as ugly and amorphous as Dallas or Atlanta.

Chicago is actually filling in and becoming more urban, at least in the non bombed-out areas of the city
Visit Boston which has preserved so much even from the time frame of Chicago's history. Chicago is tearing down too much history

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:35 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Visit Boston which has preserved so much even from the time frame of Chicago's history. Chicago is tearing down too much history
If Chicago was a 400 year old city maybe your argument would hold more weight...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:43 AM

I'm talking about the time frame of Chicago's history and what Boston has preserved from that same time period

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 10:50 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I'm talking about the time frame of Chicago's history and what Boston has preserved from that same time period
Are there numbers on how various cities have done side-by-side for preservation, or is this just conjecture? (honest question)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development