HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Hold on a second. That's sad and all, but how is it that the following didn't jump out at anyone?

C'mon. Someone actually woke up one day and came up with the idea that it would be a good idea to send people to jail for playing in a foreign football league in Canada?

I'm trying to think of something more pathetic than that, and I'm not coming up with anything.
Good eye. I can't decide if that's funny or scary.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Hold on a second. That's sad and all, but how is it that the following didn't jump out at anyone?

C'mon. Someone actually woke up one day and came up with the idea that it would be a good idea to send people to jail for playing in a foreign football league in Canada?

I'm trying to think of something more pathetic than that, and I'm not coming up with anything.
I can't imagine it was anything other than a symbolic gesture. I mean, the chances of a senator's private bill getting passed are probably minimal, and even if this one did, there's no way it would be enforced.

It's an amusing read, though... I mean, could you imagine?

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Bi...238_text-e.htm

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 1:56 AM
Go Chiefs!

Congrats to Milos Raonic for his title in Brisbane.
Young Felix Auger-Aliassime did play a couple of futures tournament and is now top 800 in the rankings at the age of 15. His junior ranking is now 8th with all players ahead of him 2 years older (except one who is 16). I definitely see him make a run in Australia in the junior slam.

Can't wait for the first grand slam of the season.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 2:34 PM
arf

^Me neither.

Felix will be interesting to watch this year. He made unbelievable progress last year.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

It was just announced that the St. Louis Rams are moving to LA.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Chargers will propbably join them...what happend to the raiders?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:22 PM

^ Rams and I guess the Chargers will be playing at LAMC for a while until the new stadium is built... man has LA ever gotten its money's worth from that facility. Virtually every pro football and baseball team that has ever played in SoCal called that venue home at one time another, plus the Olympics twice, Super Bowls, the World Series and on top of that, college football every year. In a world where NFL stadiums aren't even 10 years old now before plans start being made for a replacement, LAMC has stood the test of time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Rams and I guess the Chargers will be playing at LAMC for a while until the new stadium is built... man has LA ever gotten its money's worth from that facility. Virtually every pro football and baseball team that has ever played in SoCal called that venue home at one time another, plus the Olympics twice, Super Bowls, the World Series and on top of that, college football every year. In a world where NFL stadiums aren't even 10 years old now before plans start being made for a replacement, LAMC has stood the test of time.

The entrance with the archways with the flame, etc. is one of my favourite in the world.

So grandiose.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The entrance with the archways with the flame, etc. is one of my favourite in the world.

So grandiose.
Agreed.

If a new stadium ever gets built in it's place, they MUST keep the arches and make it part of the new stadium. It's a historical landmark.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Sports in Canadian culture?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Well, it's another team that isn't going to Toronto

With the dollar the way it is now, I wonder if there is going to be a period where teams in the big 4 US leagues won't be relocating to Canada... a year ago I was pretty certain that the return of the Nords was imminent, but now it's beginning to seem a little far fetched. The NFL to Toronto now seems about as plausible as the NFL going to Saskatoon.

I feel a bit lucky as a Jets fan that Winnipeg managed to get its team back before these added challenges presented themselves.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:38 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Well, it's another team that isn't going to Toronto
Exactly!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63
“In Southern Ontario, this is NFL territory,” Lind said in May 2008. “The CFL’s great, wonderful, terrific, but this territory is NFL territory, at least if you’re 50 and under. If you’re older, fine, you can go for the Argos or Hamilton or whatever.”
Quote:
This prick sounds like he was born to become senior management at Rogers. A fitting pair.
haha, Toronto really isn't football territory in any form, the Toronto Rock Pro Lacrosse team gets higher spectator attendance than the Argos. The populace in TO is too naive & will follow the corporate persuasions of Rogers, jump on Blue Jays band wagons easily etc.. Toronto's NFL ambitions are humorous at most and just sad at the best of times.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Agreed.

If a new stadium ever gets built in it's place, they MUST keep the arches and make it part of the new stadium. It's a historical landmark.
They are looking at a massive renovation for it so I cant see that happening for a while

although there was talk about scaling it down to a more modest 278M once the idea of farmers field came to mind. I can't imagine them going with the original 800M plan now. But with the NFL there for the next 5ish years it could see some substantial renos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Give it up elly

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:46 PM

^ That second pic is really what LAMC needs to be viable for the long run. A full on Soldier Field-type reconstruction is pointless if the NFL team(s) in LA are building their own venue... they just need something to serve USC, temporary tenants and the various one-off events to be held there with modern luxury boxes/seats and media facilities. A grandstand modification with a new building as shown would probably cover those bases nicely.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
But with the NFL there for the next 5ish years it could see some substantial renos
Not to mention LA's 2024 Olympic Bid

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:46 PM

Only stadium open to host the Rams is Stub-Hub Centre in Carson (LA Galaxy), it's small though, the rest have refused, or don't want it outright (LAMC).

This isn't a slam dunk as the NFL is competition to these other sports entities in the LA area and we all know the big bad bully, the NFL, would never accommodate those teams if the roles we're reversed.

Typical. The Rams have no promised home for 2016, they already have shovels in the ground for the cristal football palace in Inglewood (Carson is the best located for all residents, and was the recommendation by the committee, oh well). But when fall 2016 hits they might have to play in a parking lot as they have no temp stadium situation lined up.

Why wouldn't the league set that up first regardless of what teams moved.....

Goddell is inept.

What about Jacksonville and that dog market? It has to move at some point as its the worst performing market and they never contribute to revenue pools.

What a way to hold three markets hostage for stadiums and even when one gives in, up you still leaving town.

Toronto will get fake buzz from this but this market only gets a team with a World Cup.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 7:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Give it up elly
Give what up, talking about Los Angeles stadiums has what to do with Canadian culture, again? California became a province when? Did I miss something?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:24 PM

The Hammer is getting the next two Vanier Cups:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/hamilto...17-vanier-cup/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada