HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 4:18 PM
BANNED

^ I agree that it's never too late for Phoenix to start building modern row houses that, who knows, by 2100 will be considered to be the most desirable neighborhoods in metro Phx.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
^ I agree that it's never too late for Phoenix to start building modern row houses that, who knows, by 2100 will be considered to be the most desirable neighborhoods in metro Phx.
Dare I say that there is an emerging cluster of row houses (some of them are probably more accurately townhouses) surrounding 7th St and Portland? Artisan Village has been fully sold and occupied for years now. Apparently a majority of the units at Portland 38 and Roosevelt 11 have now been sold. I think even one or two of the Odyssey Portland row houses (the big green ones) have sold. I think that qualifies as desirable in this market :-) Time to build some more?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 12:55 AM
BANNED

uh what are you smoking?

those oddysey and Portland 38 or whatever are like 99% vacant and if some have been sold, they certainly aren't occupied. That crap on Willeta is vacant too.

Please, don't kid yourself just because it's in your neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 1:02 AM

I just the think the market is just there yet for row houses. First, you have an oversupply of condos in the area. Second, over 71% of all residents downtown rent which means there is a high demand for apartments which is evident by Alta Phoenix's quick vacancy absorption.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 1:47 AM
BANNED

yeah, I've never seen anything fill up as quickly a Alta. Holy mother fucker.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 4:19 AM

maybe they are almost fully rented but that doesn't mean I have to be thrilled about the complete lack retail on the first floor when it in fact disgusts me.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 8:29 PM
Skyriser

Alta filled up fast because they gave sweet discounts to people moving in first. A friend of mine isn't sure that they can stay there a second year at a higher rate.

There are lots of vacant retail spaces downtown, and the smaller retail spaces on Alta's north side are filled up. There is a photography and yoga studio there to my recollection.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 1:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Alta filled up fast because they gave sweet discounts to people moving in first. A friend of mine isn't sure that they can stay there a second year at a higher rate.
Correct. I went by Alta last year to check prices and they were offering 4 months free prorated, which reduced the rent from $1200 ish? to $800 ish(if I remember correctly?).

It goes to show that in order for DT Phx to attract residents, cheap units must be constructed, then the multi-million dollar high rise condos, not the other way around. With that said, it is entirely possible to build affordable urban style rentals.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest