HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

I've been there around 8:30 and you can find lots of room. Depends on how you feel like walking over other people.

It may be busier, given Saturday's weather.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:58 PM

on saturday at english bay at 9:45 pm we were able to get right onto the beach - thin crowds and a pushy friend

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:42 AM

So who won this year? Has it been announced yet? I thought it would have been, but I can't find anything that says anywhere on the web, including the main website and Vancouver Sun and Global.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:07 AM

^ i believe the winner will be announced on Tuesday.

Hopefully, we won't have trouble finding funding again next year. We really went all out in trying to find sponsorship. Every year, the festival is in danger of being canceled from lack of sponsorship. And we make it public.

But we somehow manage to find a solution, the money from new sponsors. It's starting to become like the boy who cries wolf, though the main difference is that wolfs do show up every single time and they get nearer and nearer with every encounter. I fear that next year's plea for help will fall to deaf years.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 8:08 AM

was China really smokey? it didn't seem like the smoke went away too quickly so some were a little obscured by the smoke i thought

there were prettty cool - never got to hear the music

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:47 PM
David

China was very smoky, but I think their show was the best!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 7:05 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

But they should've used the original version of Kung Fu Fighting.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:03 AM

I wasn't able to see the China show Saturday evening, but was the smoke just related to the wind direction - or lack of wind? If that's the case, it seems that shouldn't be held against them.

I'm certainly no fireworks expert , but it seems there would only be so much one can do to prevent smoke. If you're lucky and the wind is carrying it up and away quickly and away from the crowd - yippeee! But if there is a slight temp inversion and little wind, it would get pretty smoky pretty fast - .

As far as the ones I saw, I'd give it to South Africa. That was one of the best fireworks displays I've seen - even without the natural enhancement (i.e., lightning) .

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:45 AM

China wins 2009 Celebration of Light competition

Vancouver Sun
August 3, 2009 11:01 PM

Team China has won Vancouver’s 2009 HSBC Celebration of Light fireworks competition.

China topped three other nations — Canada, South Africa and the United Kingdom — with its crowd-pleasing presentation Saturday, the conclusion to the four-night event.

None of the participating countries exploded as many fireworks shells as China, which synchronized its pyrotechnics to music that ranged from traditional Chinese to a whimsical rendition of Kung Fu Fighting — the latter igniting cheers from spectators.

Among the fireworks that impressed the judges were floating shells that resembled swimming swans, twisting snakes that spiralled low in the sky,

and a “weeping willow” that sparked long branches from high above the fireworks’ barge to the water.

Fireworks’ organizers also revealed that the United Kingdom’s presentation, entitled Parasols Over the Pacific, had been named winner of the People’s Choice Award, sponsored by BC Hydro.

The competition drew hundreds of thousands of mostly well-behaved spectators over four nights.

A victory at the Vancouver event typically attracts lucrative contracts for major fireworks shows around the world.

Judges rated China just ahead of second-place South Africa, which had spent a great deal of time selecting music and coordinating it with a colourful display, rather than relying exclusively on big explosions. The music was heavy on African rhythms, and included film themes from the movies Madagascar and Jurassic Park.

South Africa performed on July 25 during a spectacular thunderstorm that sent streaks of lightning across the skies of English Bay and drenched spectators.

Last year, China won the people’s choice honours, while the judges favoured Canada, which won over the judges with a show set to music from the movie Godzilla. This year, Canada’s show was based on the music and story of The Wizard of Oz.

This year marked the HSBC Celebration of Light’s 19th consecutive year. The competition contributes more than $37 million in incremental tourism and hospitality spending annually.

With files from Mary Frances Hill
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:57 AM

anyone who missed china's fireworks (as well as the other competitors) can view it here:http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...s49aw7rw_gdcgq

i didnt really like the first half of the music, too weird for my taste. the syncronization during the whole show was stellar though.

im also guessing it was filmed on a balcony from shangri-la?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:10 AM

The Chinese losing a fireworks competition would be as devastating as an American losing the Hotdog eating competition.

(Yes, I know, that Japanese guy was the champion for a little while But USA took it back. USA! USA! USA!)

So, congratulations, China!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:18 AM
Hello World

Haha, well Canada won the firework competition last year.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Haha, well Canada won the firework competition last year.
Well, they came back with a vengeance!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:47 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Well, they came back with a vengeance!
Bribery?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment