HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Even with this redevelopment, I still think the southern skytrain route would be a huge mistake. The area on this route is not nearly as built up compared to the northern route and a large section runs parallel to two highways; no one wants to walk to a station next to a highway. The travel time is practically the same for both routes. Politically, Port Moody needs the northern route (and they've accepted Skytrain) and Coquiltlam and Port Coquitlam don't really care about which one is chosen; a win-win situation makes more sense than a win-lose one. Future development, like that riverfront front land redevelopment could be served by a light rail line that would head over the Port Mann to Guildford.
Agreed. I see a LRT from Coquitlam Central down Lougheed connecting with RapidBus and then heading Southeast across the planned Port Mann twin, leaving Highway 1 from 152nd Street, to Guilford, West on 104th Avenue, then South on King George. This was the original express bus plan called the Surrey-Coquitlam. (response at SCP).

And the light rail line will become really sucessful - quick connection to Coquitlam Central and South of Fraser.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:05 PM

i think port moody should be bypassed damn bunch of whiners there

some study showed that the southern route would have more ridership without including planned developments along the route 3.3 million riders vs 3.1 million

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:40 PM

If the Province is planning to facilitate a Riverview development in the 30,00 person range then I am certain the southern route will be selected. I suspect the southern route would also be quicker to build due to the absence of a tunnel.

However I am not familiar enough with the TriCities to know which route has more destinations along it. Is this Cambie vs Arbutus again?

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Feb 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I still don't understand why the SE option must be completely elevated. There are some parts at around Lougheed Highway where the SkyTrain can run at-grade without any issue.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 7:13 AM

RENEWING RIVERVIEW has posted a number of illustrations for ideas for the new Riverview Hospital in their online open house. The proposals look quite ambitious, involving amenities for the general public, marketplaces, schools, community gathering spaces, shops and services...

View and rate the ideas on their website until Jan 16, 2015.

http://renewingriverview.com/idea-ce...illustrations/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:42 PM

Pretentious as hell. Isn't it supposed to be returning to be a mental health facility, not some artful park that will only serve to raise property values in the surrounding areas?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Pretentious as hell. Isn't it supposed to be returning to be a mental health facility, not some artful park that will only serve to raise property values in the surrounding areas?
I must agree. As soon as I see the word "sustainable", something just screams "social engineer's template" to me.

Sustainable gets so wildly used and so many times without justification.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I must agree. As soon as I see the word "sustainable", something just screams "social engineer's template" to me.

Sustainable gets so wildly used and so many times without justification.
Interesting mixed-use strategy:
- Weddings
- Mentally Ill
- Symphony Orchestra performance

Is there a relationship between the three uses that we are missing?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:28 PM

If you look at that board posting, you'll notice a little phrase that I think sums up the motive... "Better than Deer Lake."

So has nothing to do with the community or really helping anyone and everything to do with competing with other cities in a boastful look at us we're better than X way.

As GeeCee said, pretentious at best when the region and community is in far greater need for mental health facilities and integration into society for lower income earners.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:28 PM

Development plans for Riverview Hospital lands revealed - including mental health facilities
Quote:
The long-talked-about redevelopment of the 244-acre Riverview lands is scheduled to start in early 2017 with construction of two new buildings - a 105-bed facility for mental-health and addiction patients, and another facility for behaviourally-challenged youth.

Meanwhile, mental health advocates said the announcement, made Thursday by a trio of B.C. government ministers, fell short of their hope that the entire site would be retained for the treatment of those with mental illness.

The lands were once the home of a 4,000-bed hospital and more recently the setting for film and TV productions in the site's many heritage buildings.

After two years of talks between the province, the municipality, the Kwikwetlem First Nation and other stakeholders, plans are for some buildings to be kept alongside parks, health care facilities, and market and social housing.

The aim is to have the first two new health care buildings ready in 2019, said Heath Minister Terry Lake. The new buildings will replace two facilities at Burnaby's Willingdon lands, at a construction cost of about $175 million.

"This has been a site for helping vulnerable people for a very long time," Lake said. "Our hope is to provide a continuum of care so that people can move through the more acute stages of their illness, into transition and then back into the community."

The new construction is to be part of what the provincial government calls a health district at the site.

Deborah Conner, executive director of the B.C. Schizophenia Society, said mental health advocates were hoping for more. The society had argued that keeping Riverview mainly for the mentally ill would keep people from the hazards of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

"We and our partners have been working collectively to have this land set aside for mental heath, not just part of it," she said. "We would like to see an appropriate portion of the land being used, that would cover all aspects of the mental health paradigm."

Housing Minister Rich Coleman said no specific plans have yet been made for market and other types of housing development on the site.

http://www.theprovince.com/health/de...347/story.html
Official document here (pdf)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 10:00 PM

So really there is no new beds being built as these two new buildings are simply replacing the ones in burnaby. Pretty underwhelming investment I would say

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:21 AM

Copied from Burnaby - Construction & proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
As a side note to the Riverview Hospital redevelopment project, the facilities in Burnaby that will be closing are the ones on land near Canada Way & Willingdon that the City of Burnaby wanted for a new hospital, but the Province sold to a couple of First Nations. After the facilities close in 2017, they may be redeveloped in conjunction with Aquilini for office park use similar to Discovery Parks nearby.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/provi...view-1.2136540

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 12:58 AM

A certain mayor will likely be very happy to get that facility out of his city...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley