HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the loose sense that any police officer sworn in in Ontario can carry out his/her duty outside her jurisdiction, sure. (I have seen TPS roaming around in Halton Region before, and between that and Toronto there's Peel Region... I've also been pulled over by Ottawa Police on Highway 417 which is technically under our provincial police.)

I'm surprised that this is not the case in BC.
Yup. Any police officer in BC can ticket or arrest you anywhere in the province. The only slight exception is CN/CP police which can only enforce laws within a certain distance (500m?) of their property(but this might only apply to provincial legislation? I suspect that they could enforce the criminal code anywhere... but I may be wrong). This is why you occasionally see them doing speed enforcement in certain areas near tracks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Though typically, police officers who have authority but are outside their jurisdiction (e.g. RCMP on Vancouver city streets, OPP on Toronto city streets, SQ on Montreal city streets, etc.) won't pull you over for simple traffic infractions like speeding, etc. unless you're clearly presenting a danger for the public. Mainly because it would generally involve them having to call a fellow officer from the city police or something like that, and it's too big a hassle.

Where I live on the border between two provinces every once in a while someone tries to make a run for the bridges to try and evade police from one province by crossing into the other. Where technically, they don't have any authority.

Of course, real life isn't like Dukes of Hazzard where you can give the cops a raspberry from just across the county or state line.

What they do here is radio ahead to the other province's police, and the cops from Quebec/Ontario will cross over into Ontario/Quebec where they are joined or replaced by the local cops. Most of the time they don't get very far as there is a roadblock waiting for them at the bottom of the bridge.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
Yup. Any police officer in BC can ticket or arrest you anywhere in the province. The only slight exception is CN/CP police which can only enforce laws within a certain distance (500m?) of their property(but this might only apply to provincial legislation? I suspect that they could enforce the criminal code anywhere... but I may be wrong). This is why you occasionally see them doing speed enforcement in certain areas near tracks.
Quote:
Railway constables only have jurisdiction within 500 metres of railway property. And, they can only enforce the law as it relates to the protection of their property and the people on it.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle25184811/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:55 PM

Someone has set up a petition to keep the RCMP.

https://www.change.org/p/mike-farnwo...rcmp-in-surrey

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:51 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Man, there's gonna be drama between the City of Surrey and the RCMP.

For a city that's gonna overtake Vancouver's population, you'd expect it's budget would be big enough to have its own police force, but nope. They're either cheap to do it or it's too big of a hassle than to just pay a cheap contract with the Mounties.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Man, there's gonna be drama between the City of Surrey and the RCMP.

For a city that's gonna overtake Vancouver's population, you'd expect it's budget would be big enough to have its own police force, but nope. They're either cheap to do it or it's too big of a hassle than to just pay a cheap contract with the Mounties.
I totally agree!

You get what you pay for!

If it means raising taxes for a better police force, I don't mind.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:56 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryboy View Post
I totally agree!

You get what you pay for!

If it means raising taxes for a better police force, I don't mind.
It's kind of a joke that the cities in this region that are one-tenth of Surrey's population have their own police force. Surrey (until recently) doesn't want to be fiscally responsible like Vancouver and New West do. But then you'll have taxpayers who will whine about that it'll be a waste of their money, and will point to the VPD about how much of a failure it is and we should keep the RCMP.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:13 PM

I'm not one who genuinely thinks that social programs are the sole answer to crime but I would personally rather have funds dedicated to drug/gang awareness and prevention, tougher probation restrictions for youth and adults, and other social work funding.

Personally, and I am open to reading other opinions here, I think that the SPD is a little bit of a vanity project as the RCMP are doing well here. The RCMP can draw from national resources to get investigations done. And I feel that because Surrey is on the international border with the U.S that we should continue to use the RCMP so that there is seamless communication throughout the rest of the municipality.

...Just my thoughts.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 3:23 AM

Safe Surrey Coalition council members a no-show at forum on city’s policing future

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...licing-future/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:56 PM

Surrey, Vancouver mayors formalize an agreement on policing transition
Surrey could reimburse Vancouver up to $150,000 if there is any costs incurred: mayor’s office

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...ng-transition/

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:54 PM

Mayor McCallum, showed off a mock police suv, during the Surrey state of the city address.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...city-1.5126818

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:46 PM

Feds commit to cost-sharing with Surrey on policing transition

Feds commit to cost-sharing with Surrey on policing transition:
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale sends a letter to Surrey mayor

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...ng-transition/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:33 PM

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryboy View Post
How does the Mayor in Surrey exercise so much power? They are usually just figureheads and glorified councilors on paper aren't they?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues