HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I still like the name University of Utah Dixie. Along the sames lines as the California University system. University of California Los Angeles, UC Berkley, UC Santa Barbara, etc.

Wisconsin has a similar method. U of Wisconsin is the big one we all know about but they also have other universities in other cities throughout the state. UW Menomonie, UW Superior, etc

I do also like St George University, it does sound a bit like a private Catholic school though.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I still like the name University of Utah Dixie. Along the sames lines as the California University system. University of California Los Angeles, UC Berkley, UC Santa Barbara, etc.

Wisconsin has a similar method. U of Wisconsin is the big one we all know about but they also have other universities in other cities throughout the state. UW Menomonie, UW Superior, etc

I do also like St George University, it does sound a bit like a private Catholic school though.
Plenty of states do that, not just Wisconsin and CA...

See:
Nevada Las Vegas
Nevada Reno
Colorado Boulder
Colorado Pueblo
Texas Austin
Texas El Paso
Texas San Antonio
Tennessee Knoxville
Tennessee Chattanooga
Minnesota Minneapolis
Minnesota Duluth
Alabama Tuscaloosa
Alabama Birmingham
Missouri Columbia
Missouri KC

Just off the top of my head. Many more examples. UofU Dixie would be fine.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:03 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:08 PM
Development Junkie

I'm just glad they didn't add the "of Utah" to it.

Now let's just hope they abandon that "Red Storm" mascot and its equally pitiful design though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:56 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Why does every school have to be a four year University? Besides SLCC are there even two year colleges left?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:28 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Snow College. That's it, those are the only Junior Colleges left in Utah. CEU is part of Utah State.

I don't have a problem with so many school now being 4 year Universities, especially since our population continues to grow. I do think that there should be a few more Junior Colleges added to the state roster though. Put them in smaller towns, like Dixie was, and Snow is. Maybe put something in Heber, Tooele, Kanab, Panguitch, or somewhere like that. I wish Moab would get a jc, but it will be a USU extension instead. Red Rock Junior College, Home of the Gila Monsters

Placing JC's in these communities give local students and option, and gives more options to other students. I loved my Freshman year at Snow.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:11 PM
The Drifter

Future Mayor, there is an off shoot of UVU in the Heber Valley. I have also heard Snow collage wants to go to a 4 year school. So even Snow is feeling the pressure of growth and wants to allow for more students and more programs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
lame!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 3:25 AM

It would be interesting to see our universities per population compared to other states. We're probably the very top.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

Really?? University of St. George,Saint George University, Heck even St. George State University sound much more prestigious!! and would go a long way as far as a national presence! Plus "Dixie" Just makes the school sound like a hillbilly university, and lets not forget the negative connotations attached to "Dixie" also! Confederacy,Slavery,etc. Sounds like the school just paid Sorenson ( the group polling names) a bunch of money just to tell them what they wanted to hear.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Snow College. That's it, those are the only Junior Colleges left in Utah. CEU is part of Utah State.

I don't have a problem with so many school now being 4 year Universities, especially since our population continues to grow. I do think that there should be a few more Junior Colleges added to the state roster though. Put them in smaller towns, like Dixie was, and Snow is. Maybe put something in Heber, Tooele, Kanab, Panguitch, or somewhere like that. I wish Moab would get a jc, but it will be a USU extension instead. Red Rock Junior College, Home of the Gila Monsters

Placing JC's in these communities give local students and option, and gives more options to other students. I loved my Freshman year at Snow.
Heber already has a UVU campus. Tooele would be a good spot for a 2-year school probably.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 9:45 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I don't think "Dixie" is raciest at all. I don't mind them keeping "Dixie" in the name.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I don't think "Dixie" is raciest at all. I don't mind them keeping "Dixie" in the name.
Yes, Dixie is totally racist. Dixie is the name of the confederate flag, the name of the confederate anthem and the name of the slave-owning region of the U.S., that fought to keep slaves.

"Dixie, in essence, celebrates slavery, and plays into racist beliefs that once gave comfort to slave owners who desperately needed to believe that all blacks longed for bondage.... Scores of wonderful things have come out of the South that don't carry the racist baggage of Dixie and the Confederate flag." —Jacksonville.com

"Albert Washington Collins, one of Washington County's, [Utah] first sheriffs, openly recounted raping and killing disobedient blacks. Robert Dockery Covington, the leader of the Cotton Mission, owned eight slaves at a plantation in Mississippi before joining the LDS Church... and coming west [to Utah's 'Dixie']." —Wikipedia

"As a definite geographic location within the United States, 'Dixie' is usually defined as the 11 Southern states that seceded to form the Confederate States of America." —Wikipedia

"Today, [Dixie] is most often associated with those parts of the Southern United States where traditions and legacies of the Confederate experience and the Antebellum South live most strongly." —Wikipedia

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Yes, Dixie is totally racist. Dixie is the name of the confederate flag, the name of the confederate anthem and the name of the slave-owning region of the U.S., that fought to keep slaves.

"Dixie, in essence, celebrates slavery, and plays into racist beliefs that once gave comfort to slave owners who desperately needed to believe that all blacks longed for bondage.... Scores of wonderful things have come out of the South that don't carry the racist baggage of Dixie and the Confederate flag." —Jacksonville.com

"Albert Washington Collins, one of Washington County's, [Utah] first sheriffs, openly recounted raping and killing disobedient blacks. Robert Dockery Covington, the leader of the Cotton Mission, owned eight slaves at a plantation in Mississippi before joining the LDS Church... and coming west [to Utah's 'Dixie']." —Wikipedia

"As a definite geographic location within the United States, 'Dixie' is usually defined as the 11 Southern states that seceded to form the Confederate States of America." —Wikipedia

"Today, [Dixie] is most often associated with those parts of the Southern United States where traditions and legacies of the Confederate experience and the Antebellum South live most strongly." —Wikipedia
Yeah I hate when people say they are going to "the South" cause clearly they are referring to those racist states that are pro-slavery.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Yeah I hate when people say they are going to "the South" cause clearly they are referring to those racist states that are pro-slavery.
"The South" refers to a geographic region. This region has modernized and become less racist as a whole. The term "Dixie" is not synonymous with "the South," but refers to those who still identify with the old, Antebellum, Confederate, racist South.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
"The South" refers to a geographic region. This region has modernized and become less racist as a whole. The term "Dixie" is not synonymous with "the South," but refers to those who still identify with the old, Antebellum, Confederate, racist South.
So Dixieland Jazz is racist jazz, and the Dixie Chicks are an awful racist group of women, and Dixie cups...

Yes, I understand that some people see the term as racist, but 1) it is not a universal decision and 2) I see it as dumb. Whenever I hear it, I think of 'the South.'

But more to the point, the area of Utah called Dixie was done so because it was growing Cotton and was much warmer than the rest of Utah. While some people there may have been former slave owners, they were FORMER slave owners. To anyone outside of Utah having an area in Utah called Dixie isn't going to make them think of the the Confederate South because Utah isn't in the South, and was not involved in the Civil War at all.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
So Dixieland Jazz is racist jazz, and the Dixie Chicks are an awful racist group of women, and Dixie cups...

Yes, I understand that some people see the term as racist, but 1) it is not a universal decision and 2) I see it as dumb. Whenever I hear it, I think of 'the South.'

But more to the point, the area of Utah called Dixie was done so because it was growing Cotton and was much warmer than the rest of Utah. While some people there may have been former slave owners, they were FORMER slave owners. To anyone outside of Utah having an area in Utah called Dixie isn't going to make them think of the the Confederate South because Utah isn't in the South, and was not involved in the Civil War at all.

Agreed it isn't racist. I have people in my office that are from the South & North East and NONE of them said that it would be considered racist; and one of them is black. He too thought the whole thing was dumb.
The word 'Dixie' started in the south came from a privately issued currency originally from the Citizens State Bank located in the French Quarter of New Orleans. These banks issued ten-dollar notes labeled "Dix", French for "ten", on the reverse side. The notes were known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners. Then word Dixie came about to refer to those southern states that had the 'Dixe' bank notes.
The word Dixie is used all the time; Dixe Cups, Dixie Chicks, Dixie Beer, The TV Show 'The Heart Of Dixie', ect. We don't see any of them changing their names.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:56 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Agreed. Utah's Dixie, as in Utah South, Those saying it's racist IMO are making it sound like it's called Confederate University.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:02 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Agreed. Utah's Dixie, as in Utah South, Those saying it's racist IMO are making it sound like it's called Confederate University.
Or better yet....."KKK University".

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
The word 'Dixie' started in the south came from a privately issued currency originally from the Citizens State Bank located in the French Quarter of New Orleans. These banks issued ten-dollar notes labeled "Dix", French for "ten", on the reverse side. The notes were known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners. Then word Dixie came about to refer to those southern states that had the 'Dixe' bank notes.

1) The theory that the term Dixie comes from the bank notes has been refuted by experts.

2) New Orleans was the only place that had Dix bank notes, not the entire South.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West