HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:03 AM

EpDesign, could you please flip your image?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
EpDesign, could you please flip your image?
I have given up trying with this. It has forever been a pain because on my end it is showing the image correctly

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
It is the funeral for a great project which never got off the ground.

RIP Regent Hotel.
Wait, for real? Or are you joking? Don't mean that to come off harshly but i have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:28 AM

Good info Isaac. The State street project looks like a nice concept. A touch short though, but hey. Sounds like we will have to be patient though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:37 PM

I walked by the event at the Regent Hotel site last night. It was a ceremony to honor the Chinese Golden Spike Railroad Workers. There might be some kind of historical site marker to that effect somewhere on Regent Street. Strange place to hold an event, on a mud lot.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:10 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Wait, for real? Or are you joking? Don't mean that to come off harshly but i have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not.
It was a joke, but in reality, it may not be.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
I walked by the event at the Regent Hotel site last night. It was a ceremony to honor the Chinese Golden Spike Railroad Workers. There might be some kind of historical site marker to that effect somewhere on Regent Street. Strange place to hold an event, on a mud lot.
Plumb Alley, between Regent Street and State Street, was the location of Salt Lake City’s China Town before PRI, the real estate arm of the LDS church, bulldozed it for the regent street parking garage. I suspect this is why they chose this site.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:50 AM

So no construction until 2020, but certainly we can get that eyesore that's been sitting there for years torn down ASAP?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:07 AM

Any news on anything?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:18 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by anything? There's a lot of news on a lot of diverse commercial, residential and infrastructure developments. Just following Isaac's 'Building Salt Lake' makes that pretty clear. Unfortunately, not a lot of breaking news on high-rises though.

I'm noticing that here on the West Coast it often takes a long time for a high-rise to reach fruition. Many that are being built now have been in the planning stages for many years.

One of the challenges with Salt Lake City is to break that glass ceiling of conservative lending institutions when it comes to high rises actually moving beyond the planning stages and signing on the dotted line. Many of the local lending enterprises other than Property Reserve are too inexperienced and fearful when it comes to speculating on anything other than the current building boom of low to mid-rise office and residential development. Up until now there almost always seems to be some level of financial involvement with the deep pocketed LDS Church when it comes to anything over 10 floors. I'm hoping that once more of the current national/international financing interest starts, the ball will continue to roll and gain some kind of new standard of momentum. Salt Lake and its CSA has broken out of the provincial mold on many fronts. I think breaking the high-rise mold of financing barriers will happen in the next year or two. Maybe it will happen sooner if the labor shortages can be addressed, and domestically produced Steel can ramp up and also become somewhat competitive on an interstate level. A lot of moth balled U.S. steel mills are coming back online.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 12, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
So no construction until 2020, but certainly we can get that eyesore that's been sitting there for years torn down ASAP?
The City will tear down the current structure once everything is signed with Brinshore. The signing is only the land transfers and the project requirements. Brinshore could still come back with a larger project over the next year before they go through the planning commission for approvals.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:09 PM

Personally I don't understand why the city couldn't have just torn it down when they owned it. Does anybody know if there's some kind of legal reason it wasn't? Or did they just not want to dedicate the resources?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:50 PM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:54 PM

I'm excited for this one:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:03 PM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:27 PM

I don't know if the planning commission could oppose this on any grounds so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it appears they will approve it, but I am hoping the Historical Commission gives them hell. Unless this turns out looking much better than the renderings, it is a step back for the Gateway and the South Temple view corridor. I am trying to find things I like about this and I supposed the use of so much brick is nice.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:39 PM
Engineer

I think the new hotel building itself looks really nice and superior in quality to almost everything getting built in SLC. Definitely superior to any other building at the Gateway, apart from the depot itself. Just worried about it overwhelming the depot and the plaza below. It's difficult for me to be excited or disappointed about it. Maybe that will change once it's constructed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:40 AM

They should go all out and allow another hotel or two be built on the north west portion of the mall and/or north lot.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:16 PM

Sorry Asies. I know you do a lot of work for your blog, which I greatly appreciate. But, this thread needs to show some of these pics without always having to go through your link for every cool project. No disrespect.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:24 PM

I don’t mind clicking on his link at all. It gives you a way to follow up on multiple projects without having to find page 88 for example where we discussed a previous project

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West