HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:27 PM

Below is a list of components of change between 2020 and 2021 by metro area.

International Immigration to the Metro Area (only those over 1,000 listed)
New York City: 23,681
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 22,734
Houston: 12,995
Washington DC: 12,600
Boston: 10,505
Dallas/Fort Worth: 8,602
San Francisco/San Jose: 8,225
Seattle/Tacoma: 7,320
Los Angeles: 6,237
Orlando: 5,920
Atlanta: 5,691
Philadelphia: 4,410
Chicago: 4,284
Tampa: 3,536
Phoenix: 3,274
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 2,893
Charlotte: 2,693
Raleigh/Durham: 2,417
Austin: 2,277
Detroit: 2,159
Indianapolis: 2,116
Las Vegas: 2,036
Cincinnati: 1,506
Hartford: 1,457
St. Louis: 1,437
Sacramento: 1,362
New Orleans: 1,214
Cleveland: 1,177
Kansas City: 1,168
Portland, OR: 1,127
Providence: 1,077
Denver: 1,059
Jacksonville: 1,042
Greenville, SC: 1,011

Riverside/San Bernardino: -851

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:30 PM

What utterly pathetic immigration numbers. Like the U.S. is Uzbekistan or something.

Yeah, I know it was Covid-era, but Biden better restore immigration normalcy. Completely absurd that nations like Canada, with 10% of our population, now receive more immigrants.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

how is it possible that NYC doesn't have a mexican-born population of at least 20,000?

i mean, i understand that the NE in general has WAY lower shares of mexican-americans than the other parts of the country, but that still kinda shocks me.

even philly and DC get above 20K, but not NYC? odd.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:34 PM

Also, what's the breakout between SF and SJ metros? That would be informative for understanding if skilled visa applicants were gaining entry during Covid, given that SJ is overwhelmingly techie-oriented.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
how is it possible that NYC doesn't have a mexican-born population of at least 20,000?

i mean, i understand that the NE in general has WAY lower shares of mexican-americans than the other parts of the country, but that still kinda shocks me.

It has to be an omission. I wouldn't even believe that Staten Island doesn't have 20k Mexicans.

This is a North Shore SI streetscape. Every other business appears to be Mexican-focused:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6379...7i16384!8i8192

Either that, or a whole hell of a lot of SI Eyetalians are pretending to be Mexican.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What utterly pathetic immigration numbers. Like the U.S. is Uzbekistan or something.

Yeah, I know it was Covid-era, but Biden better restore immigration normalcy. Completely absurd that nations like Canada, with 10% of our population, now receive more immigrants.
The Biden administration is fighting in court to keep Trump era immigration policies so it's not looking good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/13/u...migration.html

Only hope is refugees.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The Biden administration is fighting in court to keep Trump era immigration policies so it's not looking good.

Only hope is refugees.
Without a massive turn on US immigration policies, population will decline in the late 2020's already.

Those 500,000/year or so, won't be enough to offset the negative natural growth.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Only hope is refugees.
The Biden administration has massively increased legal immigration numbers. Not nearly enough, but there's been a tremendous change.

Yes, there are elements of Trump-era immigration policy that haven't changed, but irrelevant. Some things shouldn't change, or can't practically change.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:

Must be a typo. There's no way that there are more British or Argentineans in NYC than Mexicans.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
The Biden administration has massively increased legal immigration numbers. Not nearly enough, but there's been a tremendous change.

Yes, there are elements of Trump-era immigration policy that haven't changed, but irrelevant. Some things shouldn't change, or can't practically change.
Lol it's entirely relevant to immigration numbers, couldn't be more relevant. They're spending public resources fighting in the courts to keep his backwards policies in place. Where is this massive increase in legal immigration? Stop making excuses.

They refuse to get rid of Title 42 despite there being zero justification for it now. That's not just an "element" that's full blown Trumpian policy and the biggest hurdle to immigration right now. People can't even petition for asylum with that in place. Until that's overturned how could anybody have any faith in this administration increasing immigration flow?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Without a massive turn on US immigration policies, population will decline in the late 2020's already.

Those 500,000/year or so, won't be enough to offset the negative natural growth.
That's not correct at all.

Why must we import millions of people a year? Do you guys just enjoy giant corporations abusing foreigners as borderline slave labor or something?

Do you enjoy keeping working and middle class wages down?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 11:10 PM
Never Dell

I imagine we'll get back the 1,000,000+ lawful permanent residents per year we were doing before 2020's 700,000 and whatever 2021 was.

An increase beyond the million will be important if the birth rate doesn't jump. We need to keep the number of workers at a high ratio vs. dependents. And of course if you like cities you'll want population growth to continue to be a development engine.

I also want heavy immigration for cultural purposes.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Why must we import millions of people a year? Do you guys just enjoy giant corporations abusing foreigners as borderline slave labor or something?

What's not correct? The US population will do decrease without a higher immigration level. Whether that's a problem or not, it's open to discussion.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Uhhh it really has nothing to with wage suppression and more so a weakening economy and lower QOL. An increasingly aging population will be a net drag on our economy and country finances. Older individuals take more from the fed than they receive (medicare, SSI) so without replenishing the workforce these same program's funding will be put in jeopardy for future citizens. It is also important to note that non-citizens pay into these funds, but cannot access their benefits. Lastly, a shrinking workforce will result in a shrinking economy resulting in real wage decreasing in the long-term.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:31 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Also, what's the breakout between SF and SJ metros? That would be informative for understanding if skilled visa applicants were gaining entry during Covid, given that SJ is overwhelmingly techie-oriented.
Probably pretty evenly I would assume since tech is pretty much distributed thought the Bay Area. SJ might have higher % though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
~ Population growth in northern Michigan, northern Wisconsin, and northern/central Minnesota is interesting.
Could that be pandemic-related? People making vacation homes their primary residence?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:57 PM

The West side of Northern MI has been growing quickly for some time. Retirees, mostly, but also some younger households. A fair number of high income households from Metro Detroit or Chicagoland, with maybe a summer home Up North and a winter home in Florida (Naples/Marco Island area, probably).

Traverse City is kind of a trendy small city, often getting written up as "best small city", "most scenic town" and the like. I don't quite get it, but whatever. Northwest MI is definitely growing, and somewhat expensive.

The East side of the Lower Peninsula is very depressed, however. That area has declining population. And the Upper Peninsula has even more dramatic population declines.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The West side of Northern MI has been growing quickly for some time. Retirees, mostly, but also some younger households. A fair number of high income households from Metro Detroit or Chicagoland, with maybe a summer home Up North and a winter home in Florida (Naples/Marco Island area, probably).

Traverse City is kind of a trendy small city, often getting written up as "best small city", "most scenic town" and the like. I don't quite get it, but whatever. Northwest MI is definitely growing, and somewhat expensive.

Yeah, MI and WI are lucky to have their attractive and "wild" wooded areas "up north".

contrast them with IL which suffered from the double whammy of the pandemic fueled loss in Chicagoland combined with the fact that no one wants to live in the other 50,000 sq. miles in the state, which essentially constitute one big giant seeming infinite cornfield.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, MI and WI are lucky to have their attractive and "wild" wooded areas "up north".

contrast them with IL which suffered from the double whammy of the pandemic fueled loss in Chicagoland combined with the fact that no one wants to live in the other 50,000 sq. miles in the state, which essentially constitute one big giant seeming infinite cornfield.
I am surprised that IL does not put more efforts into making Champaign-Urbana more of an economic engine. It's too bad the capital and the best public university of the state are not in the same city, like WI.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I am surprised that IL does not put more efforts into making Champaign-Urbana more of an economic engine. It's too bad the capital and the best public university of the state are not in the same city, like WI.
Illinois would move both the state capital and UIUC functions into Chicago given the first opportunity. In fact, the state is in the early process of doing so.

Having a Columbus or Madison around doesn’t exactly help the situation in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

But Champaign, Springfield and even Lafayette, IN. can’t compete against Chicago being 2-3 hours away with only cornfields to offer. They are pretty poor competitors even against most other capitals and college towns in the nation.

Quote:
Plans for U of I research center in Chicago move ahead
Discovery Partners Institute gets the title to property in The 78, clearing way for construction of $250 million in academic and lab space.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ago-move-ahead

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions