HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 6:16 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading the thread for quite some time. I'm just wondering if anyone else picked up on the comments made by CFL commissioner Mark Cohon last night? Seems they are looking at having a regular season game at the new UdeM stadium

"Cohon also said the CFL is looking into staging regular-season games in Moncton, where a new track-and-field facility is scheduled for completion in 2010."

CBC article
Welcome to the boards, benvui!
I think you'd be our first Shediac member

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading the thread for quite some time. I'm just wondering if anyone else picked up on the comments made by CFL commissioner Mark Cohon last night? Seems they are looking at having a regular season game at the new UdeM stadium

"Cohon also said the CFL is looking into staging regular-season games in Moncton, where a new track-and-field facility is scheduled for completion in 2010."

CBC article
Uh oh, don't let the Halifax posters see this...

Ok, maybe they should.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:10 PM

Quote:

CBC article
if 'benvui' is a combo of your first name and your last, i know exactly who you are! welcome to the forums 'lips'!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
if 'benvui' is a combo of your first name and your last, i know exactly who you are! welcome to the forums 'lips'!
LOL

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:17 PM

Quote:
LOL
looks like i was right! and you figured me out too!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:18 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
But do you know what he did last summer?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
But do you know what he did last summer?
scary part is, yes, i do know what he did last summer! i know what he's done since high school.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Uh oh, don't let the Halifax posters see this...

Ok, maybe they should.
Too late

You guys can get the games but we'll get the team eventually

I don't care though. As long as its a Maritime team I'll watch some games.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

CBC article
Welcome Benvui, it's hard to keep track of all the new people around here these days.

Well, this announcement is out of left field! I'm surprised to hear the commissioner talking about hosting a regular season CFL game here in Moncton. I mean, what team would give up gate revenue to hold a home game in a smaller facility like the new Moncton track & field stadium. I was hoping that we would get an exhibition game but a regular season game! I can't believe it. I wonder if the commissioner misspoke.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, this is a better render than before and it does give us a better perspective of the new justice facility but I must admit that I am still a little disappointed. It doesn't really seem like a very majestic building. The small windows are butt ugly. About the best that can be said is that it will give some much needed density to that section of downtown.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, but I think they could have done better. There is something a little totalitarian about the design.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Dieppe aquatic centre budget climbs $1.8M
Published Friday November 21st, 2008

Total budget for sports complex now $16.2M, $5M more than original estimates

BY NICK MOORE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

More money will be needed to complete Dieppe's aquatic centre and sport complex with an extra $1.8 million called for in next year's proposed capital budget for the city. The project's revised budget to date totals $16.2 million, almost $5 million more than what city council originally asked to borrow in 2006 when they made a request for $11.3 million to fund the project from the Municipal Capital Borrowing Board.

RON WARD/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT

Dieppe has added an extra $1.8 million to its proposed capital budget to cover costs associated with the city’s aquatic centre. Total budget for the sports complex now stands at $16.2 million. Since that initial request was made the development's budget has taken millions of dollars out of the city's capital budget each year since and it appears that will be the case until the aquatic centre is scheduled to open next year.

Mayor Jean LeBlanc said the current council is simply finishing what the last elected city council started with the file.

"All this council is doing is dealing the cards we were dealt to build this aquatic centre," he said, adding the sitting council wasn't blindsided by the additional cost because it was known last spring by the council, before the May municipal elections.

"The last council decided to vote for only $800,000 in funding because it was required," said LeBlanc. "Otherwise the project would have been stopped."

LeBlanc said last spring's council wanted to wait until the election was over before deciding how to tackle the rest of the money needed for the project.

Of the $1.8 million needed to finish the aquatic centre, city documents show $100,000 will go towards installing pipes in the facility while $430,000 will go towards purchasing a giant pirate ship, a slide and other aquatic equipment for the interior.
About $390,000 will go towards the purchase of other materials for the exterior such as shrubs and terrace tables that will dot the facility. About $250,000 will cover furniture covers and windows, security costs during construction and telephones and other communication devices currently set up on site.

Mayor Jean LeBlanc said the extra costs were oversights from when the budget was first presented but he was confident this $1.8 million would be the last chunk of money needed to complete the centre.

"We've done our very best to make sure these costs would do everything needed to cover the physical structure and the surrounding landscaping," he said.

C ouncil voted 7-1 this month at their last regular council meeting to have the municipality manage and operate the aquatic centre and sports complex. It will cost between $700,000 and $800,000 annually to take on the challenge with staff salaries included in the figure.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well, this is a better render than before and it does give us a better perspective of the new justice facility but I must admit that I am still a little disappointed. It doesn't really seem like a very majestic building. The small windows are butt ugly. About the best that can be said is that it will give some much needed density to that section of downtown.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, but I think they could have done better. There is something a little totalitarian about the design.

I agree with you the render isnt perfect, but honestly its better than what I expected, and I like it much better than the former "wooden circle" version haha.

The section with the small windows keeps coming up as something people dont like, I wonder why they decided to place those windows like that...knowing people wouldnt like them?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Metro a real estate 'safe haven'
Published Friday November 21st, 2008

Report lists Moncton among top five places in which to invest in real estate
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Metro Moncton's reputation as a business destination received another shot in the arm this week as it was named one of the top five safe havens for real estate investments in Canada.

A new report says Metro Moncton is in the top five locales in Canada deemed to be a safe bet for investing in real estate. A recent issue of Canadian Real Estate Magazine names Winnipeg, Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie, Victoria and Moncton as the top five Canadian havens for real estate investors. The magazine article quoted experts as saying the top five factors needed to establish a "safe haven" were a diversified economy, increasing home prices, population growth, demand for rental properties and demographics that promote economic stability. It further quoted figures from the Canadian Real Estate Association showing these five locations have shown steady appreciation in home values with low volatility. In short, people who buy homes or income properties in "safe havens" are pretty much guaranteed to make money.

"Moncton is probably the closest thing to a safe bet that you'll find in the Atlantic provinces for real estate investment," said the magazine, which is aimed at property owners across the country. Average house prices have more than doubled in Metro Moncton from $85,363 in 1997 to $157,186 at the end of August.

But Moncton still remains the most affordable among the top five.

Average house prices in Winnipeg are in the $210,000 range for a single-family home, and $265,499 in Kitchener-Waterloo. In Barrie, the average price is slightly higher at $267,131. In picturesque Victoria, B.C., average house prices were flat in the $200,000 range from 1997 to 2002, then shot up to over $500,000 between 2003 and 2008.

Metro Moncton, meanwhile, is becoming known across Canada as the boomtown of the East Coast.

The article gave Moncton a glowing description as a commercial, distribution and retailing centre with insurance, information technology, education and the health-care sectors as major employers. Moncton is one of the top 10 fastest growing metropolitan areas in Canada and the fastest-growing urban region east of Toronto.

Ron Wood, president of the Greater Moncton Real Estate Board, said yesterday the article puts into focus what many real estate investors already know; many investors from across the country are looking at Moncton to purchase existing buildings and land for new projects.

He said many investors are looking at the area surrounding the corner of Main Street and Vaughan Harvey. The area has already undergone major changes with the new Vaughan Harvey Extension.

The city is about to put out a request for proposals for the design of a new metro centre/convention centre complex somewhere in the downtown. The project is expected to kick off a flurry of investment and building in the future.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:15 PM

Render From T&T

From Times and Transcript, Nov 21, 2008 (Page A1)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:25 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
[B]Of the $1.8 million needed to finish the aquatic centre, city documents show $100,000 will go towards installing pipes in the facility while $430,000 will go towards purchasing a giant pirate ship, a slide and other aquatic equipment for the interior.
About $390,000 will go towards the purchase of other materials for the exterior such as shrubs and terrace tables that will dot the facility. About $250,000 will cover furniture covers and windows, security costs during construction and telephones and other communication devices currently set up on site.
Sounds like its gonna be a pretty sweet spot...great looking building too!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:26 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post

Ahhh there we go...thats more like it!

Thanks gehrhardt!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post

Thanks, Gerhart!

I don't know about you guys, but I like it. As you said, matt, i think the small random windows on either side look a bit stupid, but as a whole, I think it'll be a nice addition to the Assumption are.

And let's not overlook the best features: it actually fills the lot, and is now five stories, not just four.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:38 PM

Hey, anything's better than a dirt lot, I agree.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:38 PM
Our Tide is Rising

True Myles...and lets not forget the courtyard with the neat little marble? entrance structure...I think once complete it will look very nice.

And hey in the end its 1,000,000,000,000 + times better than what is there now (a gross empty lot full of weeds with an ugly fence...) haha

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
He said many investors are looking at the area surrounding the corner of Main Street and Vaughan Harvey. The area has already undergone major changes with the new Vaughan Harvey Extension.

The city is about to put out a request for proposals for the design of a new metro centre/convention centre complex somewhere in the downtown. The project is expected to kick off a flurry of investment and building in the future.
Glad to hear people are interested in that area...now that the whole "downtown" side of that intersection will be filled up in the coming year, it might be nice to see something go up in the remaining two corners

Im quite excited already about the new stadium...even though I know it is most likely 5+ years away...I think the new mayor is really going to push it though, which is great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces