HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Tribeca West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 6:04 PM

My theory is that Montreal simply evolved that way -- partly due to its maritime history -- as a place where people allow themselves to have fun. It's like what Pattaya is to Thailand. I lived in Montreal for 10 years and the fun does wear off a little as you get bogged down with the dusty seriousness of jobs and things like horrible traffic to the burbs (oh, and Mtl burbs are the as Ottawa's).

But there's a beautiful continuous vib in Montreal... it's the cultural capital of all things Quebec and that's got to be fun.

They've got creative giants such as Gilles Vigneault, Robert Charlebois, Cirque du Soleil, Lalala Human Steps, Celine Dion (just attempt for a milli-second at what she does and then we'll talk) as well as Robert Lepage.

All of them use Montreal as a focal point and since Quebec is incredibly creative and talented, it all falls on Montreal's lap.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
We also have one of the best music scenes in Canada
As long as you like middle-of-the-road established acts. Few of the acts I like ever come to Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Montreal is like a friend you want to party with Friday or Saturday night. Ottawa is someone you want to spend a wholesome time with on Saturday or Sunday morning.

But Vancouver! Oh, the things I'd do with and to Vancouver aren't fit to print on a family-oriented board!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
As long as you like middle-of-the-road established acts. Few of the acts I like ever come to Ottawa.
To be fair almost every act that has gone to toronto has come to ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:08 PM

What makes a city dull or fun depends on what you're into. Not everyone is into nightclubs. If you like outdoorsy stuff, like biking to your canoe, canoeing for a few hours, and then strolling up the dock to a pub, then Montreal and Toronto are dull as dishwater. By comparison, Ottawa is pretty good, and Victoria.... ahhh Victoria.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:04 AM

Unless I'm mistaken it seems Lisgar is going to be busy for the next while. Claridge Tribeca, Charlesfort Gotham City, Mastercraft Soho, and I "think" Claridge is looking at another 20 story building... all on Lisgar? Been a while since the "market area" hasn't been the hub of condoville.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
Unless I'm mistaken it seems Lisgar is going to be busy for the next while. Claridge Tribeca, Charlesfort Gotham City, Mastercraft Soho, and I "think" Claridge is looking at another 20 story building... all on Lisgar? Been a while since the "market area" hasn't been the hub of condoville.
Centretown's where it's at baby!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:43 PM
Closed account

It's been a long (painful) time coming, but I think O Town's right. There's still much work to be done on the first block east of Bank, but things are pointing in the right direction.

Diane Holmes has, however, registered to run again so the NIMBYs may well thwart the renaissance yet.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2p View Post
Diane Holmes has, however, registered to run again so the NIMBYs may well thwart the renaissance yet.
Does she have enough supporters to get her elected again?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
it's the 'sleepy government town' stigma that is hard to shake.. but too bad for those who believe it. I like this place.
I didn't like it that much when I first moved here in 08, but it's amenities and other things are growing on me. It's now come to be the birthplace of my First Child, and where I've bought my first home (sign for my mortage tonight, and take ownership next Friday actually). Still, I just can't shake the number of people I've encountered that can't drive, or the number that forget their manners or etiquette at home in the morning (sorry if that sounded like an outright slam, but I've lived in much smaller communities all my life until now).

L8tz

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
You gotta admit Ottawa's not the most exciting place around,as for Tribeca we'll have to wait and see.
Totally disagree.

I've had plenty of fun in Ottawa over the years. If you have a negative attitude then it tends to project into reality. Life is what you make it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:17 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I've had plenty of fun in Ottawa over the years.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
If you have a negative attitude then it tends to project into reality. Life is what you make it.
Obviously, we need more people like you here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Does she have enough supporters to get her elected again?
Book it. She'll win easily. She's an old school constituency politician and quite good at it. If her constituents don't like the height of something, she'll take up their case - it's not really an ideological thing. That's why you'll hear a lot more from her about the heights of buildings south of Laurier, rather than in the CBD.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 2:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
Book it. She'll win easily. She's an old school constituency politician and quite good at it. If her constituents don't like the height of something, she'll take up their case - it's not really an ideological thing. That's why you'll hear a lot more from her about the heights of buildings south of Laurier, rather than in the CBD.
As much as Diane Holmes irkes me, I can't fault her for doing her job.

Also, re: Ottawa being boring:

As someone who loves the outdoors, Ottawa is one of the best cities in the country, with tonnes of trail, and most importantly Gatineau park minutes from downtown. The only city that really compares in that regard is Vancouver. There is world class white water kayaking a short ways out of the city, and very good rock climbing. As a kid, we never had a shortage of festivals to attend, and, at least amongst our group of friends, we were among the only people who actually took advantage of the phenomenal network of museums. What you make of the city is a reflection of you, not the city. If you find the city is boring, it's almost certainly because you are boring, not the city.

Last edited by eemy; Feb 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 3:01 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
As much as Diane Holmes irkes me, I can't fault her for doing her job.

Also, re: Ottawa being boring:

As someone who loves the outdoors, Ottawa is one of the best cities in the country, with tonnes of trail, and most importantly Gatineau park minutes from downtown. The only city that really compares in that regard is Vancouver. There is world class white water kayaking a short ways out of the city, and very good rock climbing. As a kid, we never had a shortage of festivals to attend, and, at least amongst our group of friends, we were among the only people who actually took advantage of the phenomenal network of museums. What you make of the city is a reflection of you, not the city. If you find the city is boring, it's almost certainly because you are boring, not the city.
I agree with you on everything except the bolded part. Some cities just click with people and others don't. Usually there are several aspects to a city that some may love and others may hate. I don't think that necessarily equates with being a boring person by saying the city is boring.

For example, with the exception of the San Diego Zoo, I found most of the city to be rather boring but I've met people who love that city. Heck, part of my family lives there.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 4:24 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
So by your standards, Syracuse has a vibrant music scene???

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 4:39 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
What you make of the city is a reflection of you, not the city. If you find the city is boring, it's almost certainly because you are boring, not the city.
I second this.

Friends of mine who have lived in San Francisco/Seattle/Vancouver came here for work-related reasons and vowed they weren't staying more than 2 years. Four years on and they've purchased real estate and tell me that the longer they stay here, the more they are enjoying all this city has to offer, if only one is willing to get out and look for it.

But my general finding is that those who complain about "boring Ottawa" are almost always the bored-in-general types who like to sit around and wait for something "exciting" to happen, instead of getting off the couch and out of the house.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
CBD boundary is actually one south, Gloucester. I think she represents her constituents pretty well - my position is, build as high as you want (and hopefully not a glass box) in the CBD - it has different planning rules just for this reason. but eg south of CBD in Centretown, respect your surroundings - that may be 10 to 15 storeys, or 4 to 6, depending on the area. keep in mind European cities get huge amounts of functional density with 6 storey buildings.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 12:08 PM

just to get a bit back on the Tribeca track - the teaser ad in the Citizen yesterday said launch is February 27th.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
February 18th
Any word on how the launch went yesterday?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa