HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 8:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The Junction is a suburban development through-and-through masquerading as an "urban village" and cannibalizing downtown.
Why be in a suburban development downtown when you can be in a suburban development in a suburb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
I wonder the same thing. I would not be at all surprised if this is a big factor in some of these moves. We should be trying to avoid any further hollowing out of the core at all costs, but aggressive panhandling, drug use in plain view of passers-by, uninhibited vagrancy and encampments in store fronts does a lot to hinder a positive urban experience in the core..........
Is there any proof that this is the case or is this simply conjecture? Regarding businesses moving out of the core. All Canadian cities have some level of people that you describe but all of those downtowns and cores continue to exist and thrive.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 9:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Is there any proof that this is the case or is this simply conjecture?
You obviously haven't been in downtown Moncton recently have you?

Take my word for it. It is more than simple "conjecture", and I resent your implication that I am making this up or exaggerating the situation. The entire ground level facade of the Subway Block is now boarded in to get rid of the doorway encampments FFS!!! Panhandling can be aggressive. Downtown retail employees are frequently intimidated or threatened by drugged out vagrants wandering into the stores wanting to use their "facilities" or to warm up. Not too long ago I heard an interview on CBC with a downtown retail employee and she was on the verge of tears. Some downtown establishments have taken to locking their doors and only allowing bona fide customers to enter the premises. Some of these stores now also employ security officers to protect their retail employees. It doesn't take too much looking around to find needles on side streets, alleys and parks. I am most certainly not making this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
]Regarding businesses moving out of the core. All Canadian cities have some level of people that you describe but all of those downtowns and cores continue to exist and thrive.
Downtown Moncton is at particular risk. There are precious few middle to higher income individuals living within walking distance of downtown. In a place like Toronto, the toxic influence of the vagrants is diluted by thousands of other pedestrians wandering the downtown streets from adjacent neighbourhood. This is generally not the case in Moncton (although I would dearly love it if the situation were different). In Moncton, suburbanites remain in the suburbs to consume their services. Downtown has developed a reputation, and it will take a long, long time for this to be overcome. The opening of the Avenir Centre was beginning to have a positive influence on the downtown core, but then the pandemic struck, and there are currently no events at the centre to draw downtown crowds.

It's all very sad............

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:33 AM

Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
UNI (formerly Caisse Populaire Acadienne) announced that they will be moving their St. George street location to Tannery Place in the fall.

I wonder what will happen to the existing building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Wow! This is a surprise. Their St. George Street location is in a relatively new and architecturally distinct building. I wonder why they would do this???
I just can't image the move to Tannery is due to the riffraffs on St George. I'm guessing it's simply a new strategy in banking. Less people going to brinks & mortar banks, more clients using electronic banking, more bank staff working from home, etc. UNI could either keep the location and lease it or sell off assets.

Copied to Retail thread.

What would be a good fit to this location? How about a Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:18 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I have, actually. I do have to take the occasional break from my ivory tower in Toronto every now and again.

Quote:
Take my word for it. It is more than simple "conjecture", and I resent your implication that I am making this up or exaggerating the situation.
I think there's a difference between exaggerating the situation and blaming every plight Moncton has on a singular issue.

Quote:
The entire ground level facade of the Subway Block is now boarded in to get rid of the doorway encampments FFS!!! Panhandling can be aggressive. Downtown retail employees are frequently intimidated or threatened by drugged out vagrants wandering into the stores wanting to use their "facilities" or to warm up.
A keen eye will note that this isn't a problem exclusive to Moncton - Canadian cities across the country are battling with this same issue, from Halifax to Toronto to Winnipeg to Vancouver. On one hand, these sorts of urban issues are part and parcel of becoming a bigger city and growing larger, but on the other hand this issue is being exacerbated by the pandemic and a lack of affordable housing options for the most needy and at-risk people in our society. I could fill this thread with anecdotes of Toronto and Ottawa homelessness - of stepping over the same people every day on the sidewalk, of having the front door of my apartment broken into last week - but the stores here stay open, and i'm cognizant of the fact that not every business has shuttered on my street despite their presence, and that if they are closing it's likely due to the pandemic or other related business reasons.

Lamenting or ignoring this problem doesn't make it go away. Gentrifying an area simply moves lower-income people away from their homes to outlying, different areas. Homelessness, vagrancy, and general addiction cannot be eradicated without improved housing options, social options, and better community support.

Quote:
Downtown Moncton is at particular risk. There are precious few middle to higher income individuals living within walking distance of downtown. In a place like Toronto, the toxic influence of the vagrants is diluted by thousands of other pedestrians wandering the downtown streets from adjacent neighbourhood. This is generally not the case in Moncton (although I would dearly love it if the situation were different). In Moncton, suburbanites remain in the suburbs to consume their services. Downtown has developed a reputation, and it will take a long, long time for this to be overcome. The opening of the Avenir Centre was beginning to have a positive influence on the downtown core, but then the pandemic struck, and there are currently no events at the centre to draw downtown crowds.

I think it speaks volumes to where your priorities lie if you're more saddened by the loss of revenue for businesses and the downtown lacking 'higher income' residents than you are for the pandemic-related plight of many of your fellow residents. The homeless, drug-addicted, and generally poor are still people afterall, and the key part of living in a city is the interaction to be had with all of its residents - including those you may look down on.

Adam H. Johnson had a great tweet in reference to the San Francisco homeless encampments in November:

Quote:
In American media the outrage is not that extreme poverty exists, it’s that it’s adjacent to rich people. The victimized party being centered here isn’t those living in squalor it’s those in luxury condos who have to see them.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/s...49546526646272

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:

Take my word for it. It is more than simple "conjecture", and I resent your implication that I am making this up or exaggerating the situation. The entire ground level facade of the Subway Block is now boarded in to get rid of the doorway encampments FFS!!! Panhandling can be aggressive. Downtown retail employees are frequently intimidated or threatened by drugged out vagrants wandering into the stores wanting to use their "facilities" or to warm up. Not too long ago I heard an interview on CBC with a downtown retail employee and she was on the verge of tears. Some downtown establishments have taken to locking their doors and only allowing bona fide customers to enter the premises. Some of these stores now also employ security officers to protect their retail employees. It doesn't take too much looking around to find needles on side streets, alleys and parks. I am most certainly not making this up.

Downtown Moncton used to be such a vibrant place. When the office workers left to work from home it really changed things. Hopefully when Covid is behind us, we'll see a lot of them returning to their downtown offices.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The Junction is a suburban development through-and-through masquerading as an "urban village" and cannibalizing downtown. First Freshii, now Uni. Even Yuzu Sushi would have been a great addition to St-George. I won't hold my breath, but if Ashford's vision for the core is truly transformative and can become a destination, then it cannot happen soon enough.
The fact that the Junction Urban Village development is semi-suburban in character doesn't bother me a whole lot, primarily due to where it is located, which is on the periphery of the downtown core, on a busy north-south arterial (Vaughan Harvey Blvd).

The Junction development is unquestionably high quality, and gives a boost of increased density and modernity to the neighbourhood which will stimulate additional growth into the future, especially when Ivan Rand Drive gets extended.

I agree however that it is regrettable that the Junction seems to be parasitizing businesses from elsewhere in the downtown area. This has less to do with the Junction development itself as it does with the ongoing social problems affecting the downtown area.

Aggressive actions are necessary to preserve the core.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
UNI (formerly Caisse Populaire Acadienne) announced that they will be moving their St. George street location to Tannery Place in the fall.

I wonder what will happen to the existing building?

I just can't image the move to Tannery is due to the riffraffs on St George. I'm guessing it's simply a new strategy in banking. Less people going to brinks & mortar banks, more clients using electronic banking, more bank staff working from home, etc. UNI could either keep the location and lease it or sell off assets.

Copied to Retail thread.

What would be a good fit to this location? How about a Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar?
How about a grocery store, maybe call it St. George Foods?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Staples Pharmacy next door also recently closed. Hopefully that little corner can be repurposed soon.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:07 PM

I wonder if advance savings credit union would consider a move to that building. It’s pretty close by and is by all standards a nicer building.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An article in Huddle today confirms the relocation of the St. George St. branch of Uni to Tannery Place.

https://huddle.today/2022/01/28/uni-...ce-relocation/

According to the article:

Quote:
the relocation is a bid to get closer to city’s business district and modernize a credit union branch that has outgrown its current space.

Tannery Place is an ideal location to carry out a digital transformation, for better customer service and office design.

The St. George Street location is not best suited for this new design, due to its size and our staff having to work on three different floors
Uni denies that vagrancy and homelessness on St. George had any influence on the decision to move.

The article said nothing about what would become of their current iconic building. I imagine Uni owns the building. I wonder if they have any plans?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Tannery Place North - current status:

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 8:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, we now know where in the Junction Urban Village the relocated UNI branch from St. George Street will be setting up shop.

It will be going in on the south side of Tannery Place South, between Uzu Sushi and Freshii. There are Uni banners covering the windows here, proclaiming an opening date this fall.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Well, we now know where in the Junction Urban Village the relocated UNI branch from St. George Street will be setting up shop.

It will be going in on the south side of Tannery Place South, between Uzu Sushi and Freshii. There are Uni banners covering the windows here, proclaiming an opening date this fall.
WOW! I thought they would at least take half the main floor of the other building. Between Uzu and Freshii is nothing more that a small closet space. They are really downsizing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 3:50 AM

Something doesn't make sense to me. The St. George Street building would be considerably larger than the space they are obtaining in Tannery Place, yet one of their stated reasons for moving is because they've outgrown the current location. Unless they are relocating the retail branch only, and keeping the existing property as a head office/administration building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 1:55 PM

Someone up-thread mentioned Ivan Rand being extended- would I be right to assume it's going to run parallel to the tracks to Rallye Chrysler? And just to the south, what's with the weird truncated intersection at the west end of Assomption and features a long (private) skinny road connecting to the warehouses at 500 Assomption?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Someone up-thread mentioned Ivan Rand being extended- would I be right to assume it's going to run parallel to the tracks to Rallye Chrysler? And just to the south, what's with the weird truncated intersection at the west end of Assomption and features a long (private) skinny road connecting to the warehouses at 500 Assomption?
It will run north of the tracks, but, yes, it will terminate at Rallye Chrysler. The stub of the street there coming off of West Main, supplying Rallye is already named Ivan Rand.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
It will run north of the tracks, but, yes, it will terminate at Rallye Chrysler. The stub of the street there coming off of West Main, supplying Rallye is already named Ivan Rand.
Like so?

https://imgur.com/a/Ai8RBOv

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Oui, c'est ca.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
WOW! I thought they would at least take half the main floor of the other building. Between Uzu and Freshii is nothing more that a small closet space. They are really downsizing.
It does seem odd but I suspect that this may just be a small branch with a few tellers and that they may either retain their current space on St-George for offices or announce another office space location.

Uni is doing quite well and is in expansion mode. They've recently announced 100 new positions within the company over the next four years. They have not specified where these jobs will be located but only that they will be "in New-Brunswick". I suspect many of these will be in the Moncton area. I also suspect that recruitment may be challenging at their corporate headquarters in Caraquet.

link

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Something doesn't make sense to me. The St. George Street building would be considerably larger than the space they are obtaining in Tannery Place, yet one of their stated reasons for moving is because they've outgrown the current location. Unless they are relocating the retail branch only, and keeping the existing property as a head office/administration building.
Maybe its just the personal side of the bank moving and the st-george location could become a location exclusively for business clients, would follow the trend they have of dividing both in other markets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces