HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:24 PM

Does anyone know how this lot compares in size to 62 East where the 623ft 53 story tower is planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Single-family homesite in Rainey Street district lists for $10 million:
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...9-0d4b237cc6cc

At that price, I imagine this site is much more likely to become a skinny high rise than another Rainey St bar.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Does anyone know how this lot compares in size to 62 East where the 623ft 53 story tower is planned?
22% the size of 62 East. 48% the size of the Avenue. This lot is probably too small to support a tower.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 6:57 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
22% the size of 62 East. 48% the size of the Avenue. This lot is probably too small to support a tower.
I want to see someone take that challenge.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
A closer comparison might be the Citizen M hotel lot. That lot was pretty small. I would think that something similar could fit here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:04 PM
World Traveler

So I was looking up more on Wilson Tower and stumbled across this website. Anyone ever heard of this? Looks like they copy a lot of SSP stuff...not a lot of new information or anything, but just interesting that a New York based YIMBY website has stuff on Austin.

https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/c/austin/56

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 9:27 AM

Did anyone watch the “The Last of Us” premiere on HBO? I love zombie apocalypse movies and this HBO series has been anticipated as being one of the best upcoming shows with fairly big actors, and to my surprise, Austin is the set of the first episode. Skyline and all. I tried to screenshot but copyright lol. But tbh I had no knowledge that Austin would be the first featured city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Did anyone watch the “The Last of Us” premiere on HBO? I love zombie apocalypse movies and this HBO series has been anticipated as being one of the best upcoming shows with fairly big actors, and to my surprise, Austin is the set of the first episode. Skyline and all. I tried to screenshot but copyright lol. But tbh I had no knowledge that Austin would be the first featured city.
I did! Glad to see some familiar elements . . . though TBH, it became clear as things went on that they didn't actually film here.

But a great first episode. I didn't play the game, so not aware of a lot of those resonances . . . but as standalone TV? Totally worthwhile.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:22 PM

I LOVED playing The Last of Us 1 & 2 on PlayStation. It's crazy, my whole family watched me play the first one when it first came out too lol.

I don't remember it being set in Austin in the video game though. Looking forward to watching it later with the gf!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:23 PM
Resident Moron

Cool that they shot in Austin. The 'Austin' in the game felt more like Fredericksburg with the paramount theater stand-in and not a big city.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I LOVED playing The Last of Us 1 & 2 on PlayStation. It's crazy, my whole family watched me play the first one when it first came out too lol.

I don't remember it being set in Austin in the video game though. Looking forward to watching it later with the gf!
The only part that was Austin-related from the game that I can remember was a driving sequence in the very beginning where you can see road signs that indicate they're in central texas.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 5:37 PM

It may be set in Austin but it's clearly not Austin. The houses have basements and the trees are extremely tall evergreens. It was actually shot in Alberta Canada. However they did a good job of a CGI Austin skyline (even though the skyline doesn't match the year/ yr 2003-skyline 2013ish) and putting a cap metro bus in the scenes. It wasn't Austin but they tried.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:39 PM

Pretty sure the bridge in the game is suppose to be the Monotopolis bridge which is now closed to cars.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:58 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The only part that was Austin-related from the game that I can remember was a driving sequence in the very beginning where you can see road signs that indicate they're in central texas.
You also run through a downtown area at one point and see a theater that is very reminiscent of the Paramount but it doesn't really feel like Austin.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 12:03 AM

I was looking at the pdf someone posted about the Wilson, and "The Railyard" caught my eye. I looked at an apartment there close to 30 yeras ago. What I remember was this: it was small and definitely meant for a single person or childless couple.

... but that is beside the point.

any movement of any kind on that block? With the Wilson going up and it's proximity to pretty much anything, it seems to be ripe for a big project.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:56 AM

Ok, not sure where to post this. I hope someone can help me here. I'm kinda losing sleep over this quote that I think I remember. Hopefully I'm not making it up. I always assumed it was by Mark Twain but a Google search doesn't bring up anything. It goes something like, "if you can't find anything to do in a city then you're the issue." Or something along those lines. Can anyone help me find out who said it, if anyone knows? I'm also hoping this is an appropriate thread for this post.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Ok, not sure where to post this. I hope someone can help me here. I'm kinda losing sleep over this quote that I think I remember. Hopefully I'm not making it up. I always assumed it was by Mark Twain but a Google search doesn't bring up anything. It goes something like, "if you can't find anything to do in a city then you're the issue." Or something along those lines. Can anyone help me find out who said it, if anyone knows? I'm also hoping this is an appropriate thread for this post.

"Something's always happening here. If you're bored in New York, it's your own fault."

- Myrna Loy on NYC

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
"Something's always happening here. If you're bored in New York, it's your own fault."

- Myrna Loy on NYC
Hmm that might be it and for whatever reason I always thought it was a general statement about cities.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 3:46 PM
World Traveler

I'm sticking this here so we don't go off the rails in the transportation thread... (see what I did there?)

Quote:
Before Project Connect, Austin once considered a gondola public transit system

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Wednesday, CapMetro and local government officials commemorated the first completed project from the city’s multi-billion-dollar public transit overhaul, Project Connect.

The program, approved by voters in November 2020, marked a substantial investment in light rail and regional rail lines, bus routes and other public transit resources within the greater Austin community.

But once upon a time, before Project Connect was put before voters, there was a different public transit system on the table: Gondolas.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ransit-system/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:54 PM

There's a thread for the Railyard buried back on page 2:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=241677&page=6

It's been quiet or a while now, but the newest renderings we've seen suggest some major changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I was looking at the pdf someone posted about the Wilson, and "The Railyard" caught my eye. I looked at an apartment there close to 30 yeras ago. What I remember was this: it was small and definitely meant for a single person or childless couple.

... but that is beside the point.

any movement of any kind on that block? With the Wilson going up and it's proximity to pretty much anything, it seems to be ripe for a big project.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:59 PM

Thanks. That would be pretty interesting if built. They look to be a good 700 feet or so when looking at the other towers in the picture. Sure would be nice if they were taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
There's a thread for the Railyard buried back on page 2:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=241677&page=6

It's been quiet or a while now, but the newest renderings we've seen suggest some major changes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin