HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:51 PM

^^^ Yeah, as sad as it is to lose a few of this old commercial buildings, the reality is that they are often in really bad shape and cost almost as much to restore as it would take to build a whole new building. We are only really losing a few of them here and there to redevelopment anyhow. Meanwhile they are being razed en masse all over the South and West sides because rents aren't high enough to justifying maintaining a building that is constantly in need of repair because of it's fancy ornamentation.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Yeah, as sad as it is to lose a few of this old commercial buildings, the reality is that they are often in really bad shape and cost almost as much to restore as it would take to build a whole new building. We are only really losing a few of them here and there to redevelopment anyhow. Meanwhile they are being razed en masse all over the South and West sides because rents aren't high enough to justifying maintaining a building that is constantly in need of repair because of it's fancy ornamentation.
I'm making a map of teardowns right now - issued ones but also pending ones. It's pretty sad about the south side. The areas like Englewood, West Englewood, Auburn Gresham are being torn down a lot without replacement. The only areas where there's a teardown being replaced by something are areas like Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Hyde Park, Kenwood, and Bronzeville.

However, I have another map of renovations and additions and there's some interesting stuff going on in a part of Chicago Lawn as well as Woodlawn and Bronzeville with a number of renovations and/or complete conversions of 2 and 3 flats to SFH. Many home additions in areas like Mount Greenwood and Garfield Ridge too.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Context though. What did other commercial strips look like at the time? Milwaukee Ave, Armitage, Chicago Ave...? Those were not gutted for a massive street-widening.

To be fair, we also had our duds, and CDoT had plans for Milwaukee. They ranged from widening it to 250ft in '52 to leaving it alone in '58 to closing it all together in '68. They also wanted to widen the rest of North Ave as well as Damen, Armitage and Racine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Much of the city was declining in some way, especially that area as it transitioned to being Puerto Rican. The favorite reaction at the time to dense, crowded neighborhoods (Especially those with minority populations) was simply to clear-cut buildings.
It's easy to look back at the Urban Renewal era and project a lot of sinister motives. I'm not saying those motives didn't exist, but they would never have gotten any traction if the neighborhoods weren't already swirling the bowl.

When the DUR announced the widening plans for that stretch of North Ave in '64 All the local NIMBY groups got on board. They felt that the few businesses that were displaced could be accommodated in the Pipers Alley project.

I have been remiss in providing photo sources. The earlier ones were from the Carli collection, this post's photo is from the City of Chgo via ForgottenGhicago

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:47 PM

looks like the former 'strata' condos on larabee north of chicago ave, are being redesigned into more smaller units

old rendering was for 27 units / 6 stories stopped sales in november (prices were too high for the area IMO) http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ct-halts-sales

new building details are 50 units 4 stories

Unit Composition: Studio – 12; 1BR – 26; 1BR + Den – 6; 2BR - 6

http://www.connectnearnorth.org/news/10341

not the prettiest looking building but at least its right on the sidewalk and will fill in that stupid lot

Last edited by Near North Resident; Apr 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
looks like the former 'strata' condos on larabee north of chicago ave, are being redesigned into more smaller units

new building details are 50 units 4 stories
http://www.connectnearnorth.org/news/10341
Interesting. I preferred the old design but this won't look bad if they use real brick. Reminds me of a lot of the blended material mid-rise development I saw in Seattle this winter.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:07 PM

^ Not bad - good increase of density as well. Any target begin date on it?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:29 PM
Chicago

837 S Wells St

April 21, 2016

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:37 PM

talk about bland.

i was at least hoping for a more interesting/textured brick based on the renderings.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
talk about bland.

i was at least hoping for a more interesting/textured brick based on the renderings.
It's really bad. At least they've underutilized the land to the extent that it might not take the rest of my lifetime to see it demoed/replaced.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:50 PM
The City

Yeah that looks like absolute shit

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
837 S Wells
Is that 707 N Wells brother from the other side of town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
1/14

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:33 AM

Welp, we can say goodbye to this building in the South Loop for...a new parking lot:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8600...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Looks like it's part of a parking lot expansion for the fairly new Mariano's next door. MCZ owns it - no other building permits, so not sure if another building could be constructed there or not. That building doesn't look like it's in the best of shape, but it's sad they can't re-purpose it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 7:33 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Welp, we can say goodbye to this building in the South Loop for...a new parking lot:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8600...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Looks like it's part of a parking lot expansion for the fairly new Mariano's next door. MCZ owns it - no other building permits, so not sure if another building could be constructed there or not. That building doesn't look like it's in the best of shape, but it's sad they can't re-purpose it.
And the suburbification of the South Loop continues....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:42 PM
Urbane observer

The developer actually had plans to put a CVS there, in a new building with several floors of self-storage units on top.

A lot of blame should go to the PMD protection racket. Wicklander Printing got PMD status for this little swath of the South Loop back in the early 1990s—and then were hoist by their own petard when they decided to sell their property a decade ago. If this land weren't in a PMD, it would be too expensive for surface parking.

Though some vitriol should be saved for Chicago Police Dept., which apparently has some policy (or union stipulation) that cops can't be asked to park in structured parking. Or so I was told when I suggested that, if Ald. Dowell is searching for a place to build a new school, she could look to one of the nine blocks used as surface parking by the First District.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 11:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Though some vitriol should be saved for Chicago Police Dept., which apparently has some policy (or union stipulation) that cops can't be asked to park in structured parking. Or so I was told when I suggested that, if Ald. Dowell is searching for a place to build a new school, she could look to one of the nine blocks used as surface parking by the First District.
Which is very strange, considering both the 9th District (Bridgeport) and the 17th (Jefferson Park) have parking garages for the fleet, and probably more that I'm not thinking of.

Honestly the 1st and 18th Districts should NOT have surface parking lots....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 4:08 PM

Today at North/Clark
Not sure exactly what they are doing, but maybe for this? http://101northavenue.com

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The developer actually had plans to put a CVS there, in a new building with several floors of self-storage units on top.

A lot of blame should go to the PMD protection racket. Wicklander Printing got PMD status for this little swath of the South Loop back in the early 1990s—and then were hoist by their own petard when they decided to sell their property a decade ago. If this land weren't in a PMD, it would be too expensive for surface parking.

The PDNA group had sent something out on this saying that there was at one time some plan to convert this to residential but the building was in pretty rough shape structurally so demolition was about the only feasible option. Not sure if there is anything to that or not though.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 6:45 PM
Urbane observer

^Must be a different building. Since this is in the PMD, residential was never an option.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:14 PM

Grand Ave

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:21 PM

De Paul Univ school of Music - 4/9

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development