HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i am not trying to start a pissing match, but a rationale response regarding ikea. what is it about this company and the brand that is so desirable to those who go miles and miles out of their way to shop their retail stores. now, i am an antique lover, as for large furniture, my love is regency, Georgian, 2nd empire french, and 18th century gothic to late gothic, and of course, many pieces of renaissance revival. doesn't most of the pieces have to be put together by the buyer? btw, i happened to be asked to review the various folded mattresses in a box. imo, save your money, unless you want something for the back of your rodeo, volvo, or utility van, as you cross country.
I don't think it's for everyone, to be sure. It's a bit plain/utilitarian for my tastes, but I think it is good for young renters, especially. Certainly not "legacy" furniture...but not throw away, either.

I think you should take it for what it is....a large international retailer that has a known following and will certainly bring a lot of tax dollars your way.

I don't shop there, but if it had located in Nashville, I would have been happy. They didn't pick here, but they are picking Tennessee, which is a win for all of us. They aren't locating in Mississippi or Arkansas, but Tennessee. In the end, that's what's important.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:55 AM

A brief update on the proposed new outlet mall in Southaven, only now there is a major developer being added to the mix.

Tanger Outlets Involved in Southaven Project
By Amos Maki
Memphis Daily News

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...haven-project/
Quote:
Tanger Outlets, which has a portfolio of 44 outlet centers in 26 markets in the U.S. and Canada, is now involved in the effort to build The Outlet Shops of the Mid-South at Interstate 55 and Church Road in Southaven.

“We are pushing hard to meet pre-leasing thresholds in order to break ground by year end!” the company said in a November leasing and development update. “This center is projected to open by holiday 2015.”

In 2011, Memphis-based Poag Lifestyle Centers and the Simkin Group announced plans to build the outlet center. Josh Poag of Poag Lifestyle Centers declined to comment.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:27 AM

IKEA officials have confirmed overnight that they are building a store in memphis according to local media, can't find the press release.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Not to come off like a "Nashville elitist," but I suspect you mean Jack White who has recorded his most recent releases at his Third Man Studios in Nashville since relocating from Detroit. I am sure that he knows and has a profound amount of respect for Memphis artists & musicians and maybe laid a track or two there, but that is not where he does a "good amount of his recording."
But you are, The Stripes Get Behind Me Satan was mixed at Ardent along with The Raconteurs first release with two more Jack White related albums. The music for the two I mentioned was recorded in Detroit, not Nashville and finished in Memphis with Ardent. But...go ahead and act like everything is done in Nashville when it's often a collaboration of efforts in various places, kinda like Robert Plant playing harmonica for the North Mississippi Allstars at Royal last year or Bruno Mars cutting a track in Memphis at Royal. But... let me bow deference to almighty Nashville. Oh Lord, Nashville forgive me for I hath talkth bad of thee.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Dec 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
But you are, The Stripes Get Behind Me Satan was mixed at Ardent along with The Raconteurs first release with two more Jack White related albums. The music for the two I mentioned was recorded in Detroit, not Nashville and finished in Memphis with Ardent. But...go ahead and act like everything is done in Nashville when it's often a collaboration of efforts in various places, kinda like Robert Plant playing harmonica for the North Mississippi Allstars at Royal last year or Bruno Mars cutting a track in Memphis at Royal. But... let me bow deference to almighty Nashville. Oh Lord, Nashville forgive me for I hath talkth bad of thee.
The two albums you mentioned were recorded in 2005, before White moved to Nashville. Do you think we had some illusion that Jack White/White Stripes/Raconteurs et al recorded in Nashville when they were based in Detroit?

Guess what, The Black Keys recorded elsewhere before moving to Nashville and opening up their own studio! Mindblowing!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:47 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Yes, yes, yes, people in Nashville are proud of their new buildings and plasticized formulaic corporate bs "music" city and through their arrogant civic entitlement complex can't understand IKEA not going to them first. Whatevs. Moving on, here's the details:

Quote:
Ikea plans to open a 225-employee store on 35 acres in the Wolfchase mall area off Interstate 40 near Germantown Parkway, officials said this morning.

“Ikea is the epitome of innovation and of doing things better,” Memphis Mayor AC Wharton said today. “Memphis is just a cradle of innovation ... This is the right place.”

Wharton said at 269,000 square feet, the store will be one of Ikea’s smallest, and a new prototype for mid-sized markets.

The retailer already counts more than 37,000 existing customers in the Memphis area.

Interest in Ikea has been robust in metropolitan Memphis. Demand for the retailer’s products last year led to the establishment of a service to pick up orders from the Atlanta store for delivery to Memphians.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/busi...omers_11410242

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvol85 View Post
I don't think it's for everyone, to be sure. It's a bit plain/utilitarian for my tastes, but I think it is good for young renters, especially. Certainly not "legacy" furniture...but not throw away, either.

I think you should take it for what it is....a large international retailer that has a known following and will certainly bring a lot of tax dollars your way.

I don't shop there, but if it had located in Nashville, I would have been happy. They didn't pick here, but they are picking Tennessee, which is a win for all of us. They aren't locating in Mississippi or Arkansas, but Tennessee. In the end, that's what's important.
I know someone who works at IKEA in a management role and he said that IKEA is starting to change its footprint somewhat. He wasn't certain, but he said don't be surprised if the Memphis IKEA store is a somewhat smaller scaled store. The warehouse area may be scaled back as they drive more online commerce. Newer stores may also have less space dedicated to their cafeteria, specialty grocery area, toys and outdoor accessories areas. He also mentioned that while he's not aware of actual discussions with city leaders, but Nashville is considered one of the target metropolitan areas for an IKEA store. Siting that a store in Nashville could draw a customer base not only from middle Tennessee but from central Kentucky, northern Alabama, southeastern and east Tennessee. He said that they consider the Memphis and Nashville markets to be capable of serving different geographical regions. He didn't have any specific timeframe that IKEA was looking to build in Nashville but suspects it is not in the too far distant future.

I live in the greater Washington, DC area and there are 2 IKEAS located in this region plus one in Baltimore. The two in the DC area are in College Park, MD and Woodbridge, VA. Woodbridge is about 25 miles south of DC. College Park is just outside the DC border near the University of Maryland. There are rumors that IKEA is looking to open another store in Northern VA closer in to DC. IKEA tends to serve transitional buyers, which include first time apartment renters, first time home and condo owners. And, the just married and building a family types. While it is assemble at home furniture, their quality is higher than most self assemble furnishings I have a couple of pieces in a guest bedroom and entertainment center. I've had them for over 5 years and have been very pleased with how well they are holding up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:06 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

The positive to Memphis getting an IKEA is Memphis is getting an IKEA. The negative is people are acting like this is the second coming. I guess that should be expected though.

As for the "Nashville Elitists" attitude a lot of that has to do with Memphians having a mental midget attitude. One store isn't going to do any more for the city than having someone who's close to being a has been record two songs 10 years ago at a dying studio. Y'all carry on though; I was expecting this.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:10 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Yes, yes, yes, people in Nashville are proud of their new buildings and plasticized formulaic corporate bs "music" city and through their arrogant civic entitlement complex can't understand IKEA not going to them first. Whatevs. Moving on, here's the details:
Except that it's mostly not "plasticized formulaic corporate bs." Few things irritate me more than the irrational bullshit spewed by those Nashvillians and Memphians who hold some sort of grudge against the other city. This petty feud shit is holding the state back. We're both in Tennessee for gods sake. Why is it so difficult to appreciate both cities for what they are?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:37 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Except that it's mostly not "plasticized formulaic corporate bs." Few things irritate me more than the irrational bullshit spewed by those Nashvillians and Memphians who hold some sort of grudge against the other city. This petty feud shit is holding the state back. We're both in Tennessee for gods sake. Why is it so difficult to appreciate both cities for what they are?
This.

I somewhat want to type out a response on all of this (not directed at you, BNA, or anyone else in particular on here), but that's only going to fuel the fire more. Let's go back to talking about our new suburban box store with a sea of parking. We like those, don't we?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Let's go back to talking about our new suburban box store with a sea of parking. We like those, don't we?
Sounds like a plan to me. The Memphis vs. Nashville debate will never subside, and no clear winner will ever emerge. Each city contributes to the state, which should make all Tennesseans proud.

ANYWAY... Great news for Memphis today!

Ikea's new Memphis store will open in 2016

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-creating.html

Quote:
Furniture retailer Ikea on Tuesday announced plans to open its first Memphis store in fall 2016, creating 225 jobs.

Sweden-based Ikea hopes to nail down an undisclosed incentives package from Memphis and Shelby County this summer ahead of a ground breaking in fall 2015, company spokesman Joseph E. Roth said at a press conference this morning.

Ikea plans to buy a large tract of vacant land at 7807 Interstate 40, behind the Costco on North Germantown Parkway, for a new, 269,000-square-foot store.

Roth said the store won't be Ikea's smallest, and added that reports Ikea has stayed away from Memphis because of concerns over city finances and population size were wrong. Ikea pulled the trigger because of Memphis' ability to pull from Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi, and the opportunity to own a site there on the interstate.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 12:54 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^That location is pretty solid for what IKEA is looking for. Easy access, visible from I-40, easy enough for folks from Jackson to get to when they visit Wolfchase, etc. Maybe it's just me and what I've seen, but it seemed like the Wolfchase area icluding the mall itself was somewhat taking a step back. This should reverse that and spur smaller development in the form of a couple of new smaller stores who will be able to capitalize on people just going to that part of town for IKEA.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
The positive to Memphis getting an IKEA is Memphis is getting an IKEA. The negative is people are acting like this is the second coming. I guess that should be expected though.

As for the "Nashville Elitists" attitude a lot of that has to do with Memphians having a mental midget attitude. One store isn't going to do any more for the city than having someone who's close to being a has been record two songs 10 years ago at a dying studio. Y'all carry on though; I was expecting this.
It's not the second coming but even with expansion IKEAs aren't going into every market and Memphis is getting one while they are a rather rare bird in the Flyover country. Look it's before OKC/Tulsa has one or New Orleans

[IMG]http://www.furnituretoday.com/photo/...nced_plans_for.[/IMG]

It's missing the St. Louis and Memphis coming soon dots

Look, I moved from Memphis in 91 but I'm back very frequently. I do find myself getting tired of the negative talk Memphis gets. It's flawed no doubt.

I didn't know Ardent was dying, thanks for informing me. I'll send flowers.
I do take pride in knowing that while listening to Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars that Royal Studio has a large part of work put into it. I'm also happy to know that Stevie Wonder spent some time recording at Ardent this year.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Dec 17, 2014 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:15 AM

This is the post from another board that set me off.

If you're idea of a perfect weekend includes a high murder/drug crime rate (Memphis is the #4 Most Dangerous City in the Nation ), some ok bar-b-que, and kickass blues then Memphis is for you! It's no surpise Nashville is a better city for 1) living in, 2) visiting, 3) doing business in. Music capital of the US (no not just country music, great blues, great rock, and great other styles too (Jack White, Black Keys, Kings of Leon, etc). Plus, it's probably the nicest city in the South, with brand new 5* hotels (Omni and JW Marriott) going in downtown, along with the only 5* 5 diamond hotel in Tennessee- The Hermitage. Plus the incredible foody scene that is booming now in Nashville with world class chefs bringing haute cuisine to the Nashville market (see NYTimes, WSJ, Time Magazine, Bon Apetit, and Travel+Leisure articles for more info). Oh and to put a nail in the Memphis coffin, Nashville was just ranked the #1 BBQ city in America. Further, from a business point-of-view, Nashville is much more welcoming for outside capital (less-corrupt municipal goverments- see the Memphis Ford family). Every week a new article comes out of the Tennessean or Nashville Bus. Journal announcing a new $100m+ project funded by New York/Dallas/Atlanta/LA firms here in Nashville, have not seen anything new going on in Memphis for a while.

If that isn't irrogant as hell, I don't know what is. All I did was say that Memphis had as much as Nashville to do. I'm not going into an itemized list. Look, I've spent two weekends in the last few years in Nashville as a tourist and we do stuff in Memphis when home as a family but we have no dying need to hit Nashville anytime soon. I go to hotels to sleep while doing other stuff not for the hotels.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:

If you're idea of a perfect weekend includes a high murder/drug crime rate (Memphis is the #4 Most Dangerous City in the Nation ), some ok bar-b-que, and kickass blues then Memphis is for you! It's no surpise Nashville is a better city for 1) living in, 2) visiting, 3) doing business in. Music capital of the US (no not just country music, great blues, great rock, and great other styles too (Jack White, Black Keys, Kings of Leon, etc). Plus, it's probably the nicest city in the South, with brand new 5* hotels (Omni and JW Marriott) going in downtown, along with the only 5* 5 diamond hotel in Tennessee- The Hermitage. Plus the incredible foody scene that is booming now in Nashville with world class chefs bringing haute cuisine to the Nashville market (see NYTimes, WSJ, Time Magazine, Bon Apetit, and Travel+Leisure articles for more info). Oh and to put a nail in the Memphis coffin, Nashville was just ranked the #1 BBQ city in America. Further, from a business point-of-view, Nashville is much more welcoming for outside capital (less-corrupt municipal goverments- see the Memphis Ford family). Every week a new article comes out of the Tennessean or Nashville Bus. Journal announcing a new $100m+ project funded by New York/Dallas/Atlanta/LA firms here in Nashville, have not seen anything new going on in Memphis for a while.

If that isn't irrogant as hell, I don't know what is. All I did was say that Memphis had as much as Nashville to do. I'm not going into an itemized list. Look, I've spent two weekends in the last few years in Nashville as a tourist and we do stuff in Memphis when home as a family but we have no dying need to hit Nashville anytime soon. I go to hotels to sleep while doing other stuff not for the hotels.
Seriously, posting things like this from another board gets nothing accomplished. I'm guilty of taking topics here extremely off topic, but posting that is only going to get someone from Nashville over here adding to that post, or have someone from Memphis formulating some type of reply that's just as opinionated.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:20 AM

Any new news on the Memphis FBI HQ Relocation or any investors buying into the Hard Rock Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:27 PM

Memphis (The Comeback) Proud to be a Memphian

Quote:

I looked over this Post from Nashville. It lacks Direction IMO so lets take a look @ why we should be proud of our city. 1) Great fortune 500 companies HQ here FedEx, IP, Autozone, Servicemaster etc. 2) World class National Civil rights museum is located here. 3) Number one tourist attraction in TN Iconic Beale St.4) Overton Square Renaissance(Arts, Theater, and entertainment) a treasure that most cities would love to have. 5 Memphis Grizzlies best sport franchise. Beale St. Landing. Several big time announcements well over 100 million in investments have occurred recently1 Bass Pro Pyramid (World Class) 2.Outlets of the Mid-south 3.Fairgrounds world class project youth sports complex and hotel/retail/residential. 233 million. 4.Graceland Major expansion and hotel 5. Plans for a 400-500 million dollar convention center & hotel. 6)Redevelopment of Chisca Hotel. I could go on. This Is Memphis where we continue to build on what we have.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:28 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Well, re-reading what I said, I can see it being a bit too much. I was going for rough sarcastic humor more than anything, which probably comes off a lot better on a place like twitter rather than skyscraperpage- and I didn't do a good job of it here anyways- so sorry about that-

I like Nashville just fine, I've never not had a good time there, and have plenty of friends there. From my vantage point, I only weighed in not because of anything anyone I know said, or anything anyone on the forum said about the Ikea announcement, but what Nashville print-media said about it, notably the Tennessean's "...Bad news, it's in Memphis" and the NBJ's "You might have to sit down for this" and "Don't get mad" bits. I don't REALLY care but I do like to poke fun at things from time to time and those particular news outlets representing Nashville sorta asked for it with that sort of condescension in their headlines, IMO.

Anyways, like ark said, definitely a shot-in-the-arm for the Wolfchase area, and it totally needed it. Sure, it's still poorly planned suburban hell out there but no one wants even more such areas to decline. We'll see how it goes.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:32 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Well, re-reading what I said, I can see it being a bit too much. I was going for rough sarcastic humor more than anything, which probably comes off a lot better on a place like twitter rather than skyscraperpage- and I didn't do a good job of it here anyways- so sorry about that-

I like Nashville just fine, I've never not had a good time there, and have plenty of friends there. From my vantage point, I only weighed in not because of anything anyone I know said, or anything anyone on the forum said about the Ikea announcement, but what Nashville print-media said about it, notably the Tennessean's "...Bad news, it's in Memphis" and the NBJ's "You might have to sit down for this" and "Don't get mad" bits. I don't REALLY care but I do like to poke fun at things from time to time and those particular news outlets representing Nashville sorta asked for it with that sort of condescension in their headlines, IMO.

Anyways, like ark said, definitely a shot-in-the-arm for the Wolfchase area, and it totally needed it. Sure, it's still poorly planned suburban hell out there but no one wants even more such areas to decline. We'll see how it goes.
I understand, and my apologies for taking your comments out of context. I just get so fed up sometimes with the constant back and forth. There is so much to love about both cities...it just makes no sense to me why some people have to treat it like a high school football rivalry or something.

Anyway, in other news...

HOW BOUT THEM GRIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:49 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
I understand, and my apologies for taking your comments out of context. I just get so fed up sometimes with the constant back and forth. There is so much to love about both cities...it just makes no sense to me why some people have to treat it like a high school football rivalry or something.

Anyway, in other news...

HOW BOUT THEM GRIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

RIGHT? The whole city is crazy right now.

Also, for beer fans out there Wiseacre is distributing to Nashville soon and will be canning a 4th year-round brew, the Gotta Get Up to Get Down Coffee/Milk Stout by the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. I think this qualifies as legit "Development News".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations