HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
what i like best about this shot are those two tower cranes in the background.

push the skyline west!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:24 PM
BANNED

^Thanks for noticing!

For those curious- Cranes pictured are W Couch and W Grand developments

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 10:06 PM

Uh, that's a Harry Weese building, guys. It was a warehouse from the early 1900s he turned residential in 1980. Yeah, it needs some love, but it'd be a real shame to see this one go.

Source (Ausra Paulauskaite)

Source

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 10:21 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Oh god oh god, a Harry Weese conversion! Let's all bow at the alter of Harry Weese who bestowed this condo conversion pile upon us.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:44 PM

^^^ Oh come off it, it's only ugly because of the heinous salmon color they painted it. It's a fantastic piece of Chicago history that was re purposed by a great architect. It would be a massive loss to see it torn down just because you think it's not pretty enough to save. So freaking short sighted. Some of the units have downright amazing vaulted brick ceilings. This is a mild example of that, I can't find any pictures of the reallllly big vaults in some units:

vht.com

I'm constantly amazed at the architectural and historic ignorance of people who want X or Y building torn down because they don't fancy it despite the fact they know nothing about it. Also, remember this is a condo conversion of an extremely hard to convert industrial building that was done in 1981. This is an EXTREMELY early example of adaptive reuse and is remarkable in that right as well. I would go as far as to say that Weese did a much better job of reusing a cold storage facility than Sterling Bay did at 1000 Fulton. It's also probably only in bad shape because it has been almost 40 years since it was last really overhauled. Buildings need tuck pointing at least that often, just another example of a lack of "depreciation appreciation" in that everyone who thinks it is ugly is too thick to figure out that every building gets constantly uglier until someone catches up on deferred maintenance and returns it to like-new condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
The bKL project next to the Western blue line we heard about a week or two ago? I ask because Armitage/Milwaukee's SW corner is also a large vacant lot, but your address is technically Western/Milwuakee.
I was mistaken, you must be correct. Good news anyhow that they are already in for zoning.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Sep 23, 2015 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:01 AM
BANNED

^For the record, I'd like to state that my only qualm with this building is the paint color. It's a charming structure, essential to the character of that area's industrial history

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:34 AM
dream fast

Certainly wouldn't want to lose it. It puts all surrounding neighbors in perspective. The masonry must be in such an advanced state of disrepair with past patching that it's not worth revealing. Looks like a mess under that faded paint. The vaulted ceilings are a great touch.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:36 AM

Welp, I got schooled, between Ch.G, Ch.G's pictures and LVDW's facts. Now that I know more I've definitely changed my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:51 AM

Fun fact, about a month ago I was giving a tour on one of the boats at night when all the bricks on the top northeast corner fell off onto the balcony.

Only reason that wasn't news was because miraculously no one was hurt.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:54 PM

I think that building would look awesome with a white paint job or possibly some sort of multi tone dark with white trim thing but it definitely looks like it has had some issues settling over the past few decades, huge cracks on the west side, hope they get those fixed! I'm sure those special assessments aren't cheap either

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcharnkov View Post
Fun fact, about a month ago I was giving a tour on one of the boats at night when all the bricks on the top northeast corner fell off onto the balcony.

Only reason that wasn't news was because miraculously no one was hurt.
Can confirm. My friend lives in RiverBend, and I was over there when fire trucks and police closed off Canal Street. The next day, their construction crews that are working on the building were tying down everything to prevent more things from falling off the roof.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:40 PM
North Beach Style

New Marianos

The new Mariano's on Broadway in Lakeview is looking pretty horrible. The scale and massing of this thing is all wrong, mostly because it includes a 245 car parking garage in one of the most walkable parts of the City:

source: me

source: dnainfo.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Oh come off it, it's only ugly because of the heinous salmon color they painted it. It's a fantastic piece of Chicago history that was re purposed by a great architect. It would be a massive loss to see it torn down just because you think it's not pretty enough to save. So freaking short sighted. Some of the units have downright amazing vaulted brick ceilings. This is a mild example of that, I can't find any pictures of the reallllly big vaults in some units:

vht.com

I'm constantly amazed at the architectural and historic ignorance of people who want X or Y building torn down because they don't fancy it despite the fact they know nothing about it. Also, remember this is a condo conversion of an extremely hard to convert industrial building that was done in 1981. This is an EXTREMELY early example of adaptive reuse and is remarkable in that right as well. I would go as far as to say that Weese did a much better job of reusing a cold storage facility than Sterling Bay did at 1000 Fulton. It's also probably only in bad shape because it has been almost 40 years since it was last really overhauled. Buildings need tuck pointing at least that often, just another example of a lack of "depreciation appreciation" in that everyone who thinks it is ugly is too thick to figure out that every building gets constantly uglier until someone catches up on deferred maintenance and returns it to like-new condition.

I was mistaken, you must be correct. Good news anyhow that they are already in for zoning.
see, i still dont like that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:48 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Yes the Mariano's is hulking to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yes, exactly! It should be in textbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^For the record, I'd like to state that my only qualm with this building is the paint color. It's a charming structure, essential to the character of that area's industrial history
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Certainly wouldn't want to lose it. It puts all surrounding neighbors in perspective. The masonry must be in such an advanced state of disrepair with past patching that it's not worth revealing. Looks like a mess under that faded paint. The vaulted ceilings are a great touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Welp, I got schooled, between Ch.G, Ch.G's pictures and LVDW's facts. Now that I know more I've definitely changed my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I think that building would look awesome with a white paint job or possibly some sort of multi tone dark with white trim thing but it definitely looks like it has had some issues settling over the past few decades, huge cracks on the west side, hope they get those fixed! I'm sure those special assessments aren't cheap either
My confidence in Chicago forumers, though briefly shaken, has been restored. This is all actually really nice to hear.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:39 PM

I think I made the mistake of dinging that building a year or so ago and got educated. A new paint job would do wonders, though. They could also do something with the river level now that everything around it will be doing the same.

I think part of the reason many people's initial reaction is negative, aside from the color, is that the arrangement of windows seems scattershot. On one side, it's checkerboarded, on the other side it's a straight grid. Probably a requirement of the structure when adapting it way back when, but on first glance it seems messy and random.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:26 PM
TL;DR

North American Cold Storage in 1954
(way before conversion, and before it covered in a giant mural ad)

If I had to speculate, all the many years and layers of paint probably trapped moisture inside the brick and accelerated the damage.

flickr/WayOutWardell

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
The new Mariano's on Broadway in Lakeview is looking pretty horrible. The scale and massing of this thing is all wrong, mostly because it includes a 245 car parking garage in one of the most walkable parts of the City:

source: me

source: dnainfo.com
Such a fucking shame. This could've been a really slick VDT project if I remember... not this hulking turd! I really hate building development in this city.

chicago.curbed.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Such a fucking shame. This could've been a really slick VDT project if I remember... not this hulking turd! I really hate building development in this city.

chicago.curbed.com
I know. I'm furious over this. The asinine neighborhood organizations down there bemoan density and traffic, and then they welcome this utter garbage. It's absolutely maddening. It's going to completely decimate this section of Broadway. And on a street with a Pedestrian designation (the curb cuts must have been grandfathered in?). Shameful.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:35 PM
The City

^ I hate that it's a monstrosity too, but in the end I'm still very glad it's getting built. It's replacing a depressing sea of nothingness, and it will add a ton of enclosure as well as street level retail to Broadway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development