HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I'm not surprised at the price increase. There's no way they could sell it at $40k or whatever they initially announced it as. If you compare spec to spec, the middle trim AWD CT actually undercuts the Rivian R1T.
I'm not surprised at the pricing either. The Rivian is a nicer vehicle though, especially the inside. To me they are the Land Rover of the EV world.

That said, Tesla has lots of advantages. I fully expect the price of the CT to come down as they get more volume going and demand at those prices dries up. They will sell all they can make at these prices for a while.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I'm not surprised at the price increase. There's no way they could sell it at $40k or whatever they initially announced it as. If you compare spec to spec, the middle trim AWD CT actually undercuts the Rivian R1T.
I think the reveal pricing and range were heavily predicated upon the 4680 cell development and production ramp going far smoother than it has. I would expect that a substantial range bump or price decrease will materialize in the coming years if they really crack the 4680 and dry electrode chemistry and it all lives up to expectations.

[deleted]

Good on you, ssiguy.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Dec 2, 2023 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 12:25 AM

You will not see me giving any source.

I dislike it when people troll without facts and hence I will not do it myself. Therefore, I am stating, categorically, that I was completely wrong and I apologize without reservation.

I saw a statement on a news source that Musk had changed his mind on hydrogen. Yes, I found it hard to believe but then it also had a tweet from Musk verifying it. Turns out the both the info and the tweet were faked and I fell for it.

It doesn't change my opinion about EVs or hydrogen but I will endeavor to be more careful with the sources I use from now on.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 10:45 PM

Vancouver receives Canada's first electric fire engine:

Canada’s first electric fire engine unveiled in Vancouver
By Simon Little Global News
Posted December 4, 2023 2:16 pm

The City of Vancouver is now home to Canada’s first electric fire engine.

The new vehicle, dubbed Engine 1 and based out of Firehall No. 1 in Strathcona, was unveiled Monday.

“Our city’s fire and rescue service is taking significant steps towards becoming more sustainable,” Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim said.

“This truck is incredibly environmentally friendly, it’s going to save a ton on gas. I heard a similar truck has only used 20 gallons of gas in a year, which is mindboggling.”

The Rosenbauer RTX Pumper Truck cost the city $1.8 million, and is between $300,000 and $500,000 more expensive than a traditional diesel-powered engine, Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services Deputy Chief Tyler Moore said....

https://globalnews.ca/news/10147304/...ic-fire-truck/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Vancouver receives Canada's first electric fire engine:

Canada’s first electric fire engine unveiled in Vancouver
By Simon Little Global News
Posted December 4, 2023 2:16 pm

The City of Vancouver is now home to Canada’s first electric fire engine.

The new vehicle, dubbed Engine 1 and based out of Firehall No. 1 in Strathcona, was unveiled Monday.

“Our city’s fire and rescue service is taking significant steps towards becoming more sustainable,” Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim said.

“This truck is incredibly environmentally friendly, it’s going to save a ton on gas. I heard a similar truck has only used 20 gallons of gas in a year, which is mindboggling.”

The Rosenbauer RTX Pumper Truck cost the city $1.8 million, and is between $300,000 and $500,000 more expensive than a traditional diesel-powered engine, Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services Deputy Chief Tyler Moore said....

https://globalnews.ca/news/10147304/...ic-fire-truck/
That's pretty cool. I was wondering what would happen if it ran out of charge while on a long call, but it looks like they have it covered:

Quote:
It has a range of about 100 kilometres on a full charge, and an onboard diesel charger that can be used to recharge in the field if necessary.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 6:42 PM

This is interesting. There's been a lot of stories out of Europe regarding rising EV insurance premiums due to claims but this is the first time I've heard of this kind of write-off.

Vancouver EV owner shares cautionary tale after car deemed ‘total loss’
Kyle Hsu was quoted $60,000 for a new battery after the battery pack on his Hyundai IONIQ 5 2022 got scratched. (Photo provided by Kyle Hsu)
By Pippa Norman and Charlie Carey

Posted December 11, 2023 9:57 am. Last Updated December 11, 2023 10:05 am.

An electric vehicle owner in Metro Vancouver is questioning the sustainability of EVs, after his basically new car was written off due to the cost of repairs.

Kyle Hsu is hoping his story serves as a warning to prospective EV buyers. He says he was left frustrated and saddened by what seemed to be an innocuous incident that scratched the underside of his car’s battery.

He tells CityNews he was in Kelowna recently for a vacation when he felt his 2022 IONIQ 5 electric vehicle “was not functioning very well.” That, coupled with lower temperatures, left him concerned, and ultimately made him decide to have the car towed back to the dealership in Richmond through a service Hyundai offered, Hsu says.

He explains once the car arrived at the dealership, he asked staff to conduct a standard service to address a recent recall of one of the car’s parts.

However, he says when the mechanics began working on his EV, they found scratches on the battery pack — the protective case underneath the vehicle that houses the car’s battery — and a gap between the battery cell and protection pack...

...Following the advice of the dealership, Hsu says he took his car to his insurance provider, ICBC, to see how much of the cost he could claim under his policy.

However, a few days later, Hsu says he received a call from ICBC quoting him $60,000 to replace his car’s battery — $10,000 more than the car cost.

Hsu says ICBC informed him that Hyundai quoted the insurance provider that the cost of replacing the battery would be about $50,000, plus labour costs and tax, bringing the total to $60,000 — double Hsu’s initial quote...

....Due to the quoted price of the battery replacement, Hsu says ICBC told him his basically new vehicle was a “total loss” and he would have to say goodbye to it....

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/1...ery-icbc-cost/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
This is interesting. There's been a lot of stories out of Europe regarding rising EV insurance premiums due to claims but this is the first time I've heard of this kind of write-off.
It's mostly been Teslas driving up EV insurance costs. It's for this reason, that some rental companies in Europe have been switching to BYD EVs.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 3:48 PM

I pay $150/month for my Tesla 3 LR. CAA offers the most competitive prices in Canada for Tesla insurance.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 5:55 PM

Fiat will start selling the electric 500e in Canada in Q1 2024, startng in BC and QC. I love how they give a "North American price". Does that mean we get the same price as the USA? I doubt it.

Fiat to start selling fully-electric 500 model in North America in early 2024
MILAN
REUTERS
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Fiat will start selling its fully-electric 500e small car in North America in the first quarter of next year, parent Stellantis STLA-N +0.13%increase
said on Tuesday, adding it would be its first such retail offering in the region.

A very popular model in Europe, the battery electric (BEV) 500 is powered by a 42-kWh, high-voltage, lithium-ion battery system, with an estimated range of 149 miles (240 kilometres).

The car is assembled in the Mirafiori complex in Turin, Italy, and will be exported to North America.

Its suggested selling price in North America is $32,500, with a further $1,595 in delivery costs, the group said in a statement.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...th-america-in/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
I love how they give a "North American price". Does that mean we get the same price as USA?

Its suggested selling price in North America is $32,500, with a further $1,595 in delivery costs, the group said in a statement.[/I]
That's what you get reading a source that just regurgitates press releases.

"Initially, the Fiat 500e will be available in British Columbia and Quebec in early 2024, with expansion plans to other regions as production increases. The Canadian Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starts at $39,995, excluding destination fees. Various federal and provincial government EV rebates will be applicable." [source]

At current exchange rates, it looks like we get it cheaper than the US.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:27 PM

$40k makes it the cheapest EV on the market right now, I believe - which makes sense given it's limited range.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
$40k makes it the cheapest EV on the market right now, I believe - which makes sense given it's limited range.
I think the VW eGolf, and the Mini Cooper e are around the same price, but have less range than the Fiat.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think the VW eGolf, and the Mini Cooper e are around the same price, but have less range than the Fiat.
The e-Golf has been offered since 2021 though, so not exactly comparable.

Unfortunately limited range EVs don't seem to cut it even in Europe:

Honda E Ending Sales in Europe
by Matt Posky
December 12th, 2023 3:22 PM

It may have been cuter than a first-generation Civic but Honda’s entirely electric supermini didn’t last very long. Introduced in 2020, the Honda e is being pulled from the European market just one year after it was discontinued in its native Japan.

Despite being an objectively terrible value, everyone in the automotive industry is presently mourning the little turd because of its adorable looks, desirable handling, and dashboard made entirely of screens. But it likewise boasts a maximum range of 130 miles, which was only achievable under idyllic circumstances. Although test drivers have claimed difficulties even reaching 100 miles before having to charge the vehicle's 35.5-kWh lithium-ion battery.....

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...urope-44504116

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
The e-Golf has been offered since 2021 though, so not exactly comparable.

Unfortunately limited range EVs don't seem to cut it even in Europe:
The Honda sold under 3,000 units a year in the whole of Europe, because, as the article notes, it was significantly overpriced and had a horrible range. Honda don't even have an ev on sale in North America yet. They're as backward facing as Toyota in many ways, although trying to play catch-up with a lot of new vehicles in development. They'll have to be quick, and the cars will have to be good value, or they'll get overtaken by the Chinese cars (and the domestic offerings) that are much better value and taking an increasing slice of the growing European ev market. And of course, maybe Tesla will finally launch the Model 2.

VW have a new e Golf in pre production in Wolfsburg, which will have a much greater range, and are accelerating their plans for only ev European production by 2033. In the meantime they're letting thousands of workers go in Europe, but expanding production of EVs in China with an entirely new plant for a low cost Chinese model to compete in the local market.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
The Honda sold under 3,000 units a year in the whole of Europe, because, as the article notes, it was significantly overpriced and had a horrible range. Honda don't even have an ev on sale in North America yet. They're as backward facing as Toyota in many ways, although trying to play catch-up with a lot of new vehicles in development. They'll have to be quick, and the cars will have to be good value, or they'll get overtaken by the Chinese cars (and the domestic offerings) that are much better value and taking an increasing slice of the growing European ev market. And of course, maybe Tesla will finally launch the Model 2.

VW have a new e Golf in pre production in Wolfsburg, which will have a much greater range, and are accelerating their plans for only ev European production by 2033. In the meantime they're letting thousands of workers go in Europe, but expanding production of EVs in China with an entirely new plant for a low cost Chinese model to compete in the local market.
One more reason not buy a Volkswagen product then. "The power of Chiense engineering" doesn't have much cachet as a slogan.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:05 PM

More details on the written-off Ioniq 5 courtesy of Motormouth;

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:07 PM
recession proof

Toyota is launching dozens of EVs beginning in 2025. By this time, Tesla Model 3 will be an 8 year old design, ancient news in the automotive industry. Model S will be 14 years old, kind of like driving a dinosaur ha.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Toyota is launching dozens of EVs beginning in 2025. By this time, Tesla Model 3 will be an 8 year old design, ancient news in the automotive industry. Model S will be 14 years old, kind of like driving a dinosaur ha.
Toyota says a lot of things.

Their BEV lineup is pathetic.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
One more reason not buy a Volkswagen product then. "The power of Chiense engineering" doesn't have much cachet as a slogan.
VW are making EVs in China to sell in China. They're making EVs in Germany to sell in Europe, and in Tennessee to sell in North America.

And thanks for the reminder of your Sinophobia. MIT seems to disagree about Chinese ev engineering.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
VW are making EVs in China to sell in China. They're making EVs in Germany to sell in Europe, and in Tennessee to sell in North America.

And thanks for the reminder of your Sinophobia. MIT seems to disagree about Chinese ev engineering.
Anybody who is against a dictatorial kleptocracy should have a healthy dose of Sinophobia as you call it. The question should be, why don't you? It has nothing to do with the Chinse people and everything to do with the Chinese state.

Chinese Canadians tell MPs foreign influence is widespread, has been happening for decades
The Communist Party has been reaching out long before new revelations about the 2019 and 2021 elections
Author of the article: Ryan Tumilty
Published Mar 10, 2023

OTTAWA — Chinese Canadians told MPs Friday that Beijing’s government has directed a widespread influence and harassment campaign targeted at them for decades, long before new revelations about the 2019 and 2021 elections.

Cheuk Kwan, co-chair of the Toronto Association for Democracy in China, told MPs holding hearings at the House of Commons Ethics committee, that the Communist Party has been reaching out since the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

“We are definitely not surprised by the finding of the recent CSIS report. No doubt the interference in Canadian electoral process is a grave concern but I argue that this is the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

Kwan said the Chinese government is engaged in a widespread influence operation that is growing more sophisticated all the time. He said politics is just one area, with the communist regime reaching more broadly and trying to find ways to influence Canada.

“In addition to engaging friendly academics and business people to advocate on its behalf, China also spreads its tentacles to cultivate elected officials and infiltrate political institutions at all levels of the Canadian society,” he told MPs....

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...nce-widespread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada