HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Those tridents are what remained of the Twin Towers after 9/11 when they collapsed. They are nothing more than memorial pieces now.

It's not a real restaurant. It will probably be something like Sbarro's which was in the South Tower of the original World Trade Center.
I'm pretty sure it will be a lot more classier then a crappy little place like that. I think it's going to be a real restaurant or at least a sit down place that you can order and be served.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be a lot more classier then a crappy little place like that. I think it's going to be a real restaurant or at least a sit down place that you can order and be served.
It probably won't though. I have a lot more hope though that maybe Two World Trade Center might have a restaurant at the top floors since there is still a chance to install a service elevator. I thought about it and I do want to suggest it to the Port Authority, but I don't know if they will listen.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:06 PM

Courtesy ironmike40 on instagram

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:15 PM

Fantastic pictures! Now why couldn't the rest of that thing look like that!!!

This is it people. The very Tippy-Top!!! Now that's a very historic picture.

Last edited by 401PAS; Mar 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:44 PM

Wow, when was this lifted up? Were these pictures taken this morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Courtesy ironmike40 on instagram

Last edited by WeatherRad; Mar 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:58 PM

Yes it is finally here, can't wait to see it attached up top!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:03 PM
BANNED

^ These two pics were posted last night (14h ago) on ironmike's Instagram feed. Alas, the tip top

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:08 PM

Hmmmm. I have to wonder if this rotating beacon will be just whats needed for this thing to be judged as a spire as opposed to a mast and be counted toward the official height now. While i do like the mast,now that i see the tip,i feel perhaps they should have made the entire thing out of,what appears to be stainless steel. Just my .02

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:31 PM

Ironmike40 posted another photo not long ago on his Instagram page. A picture of this piece attached to a longer section.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:07 PM
Sukaitsuri

When I watch this picture, my first thought, that comes in my mind immediately is:

Looks like there has been a thief who stole all the precious parts of the tower, during the night. Now, only skeleton remains.

The antenna, and the ring.. completely ruined by redesign.

Strangely, the most shocking part to my eyes is the redesign of the ring. Now it looks like a stupid skeleton of iron. Shameful.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
It probably won't though. I have a lot more hope though that maybe Two World Trade Center might have a restaurant at the top floors since there is still a chance to install a service elevator. I thought about it and I do want to suggest it to the Port Authority, but I don't know if they will listen.
I know this should be in the 2WTC thread, but the PA only gets the building started if it gets past it's minimum lease requirement. The complex is interconnected below street level so the port had the tower built up to street level and capped. It's Silverstein's favorite tower and I don't think he'll let any one change it. Besides, the top floors are mechanical and the few floors below those that are above the beginning of the diamonds are prime locations for tenants. If just wouldn't make sense to put a restaurant there.

Closer to topic. The reason we had an outdoor observation deck and a restaurant in the twins was because we had two 210' square floor plates with usable space in the cores. The current tower only has a fraction of the space. I'd guess in the range of 1/5 if not less for those two reasons. There isn't another tower to but antennas on and 2WTC would only be useable for localized transmitters in the mech floors like we see in the Willis tower above the Skydeck floors (dishes are visible behind the glass).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Ironmike40 posted another photo not long ago on his Instagram page. A picture of this piece attached to a longer section.
No kidding. I just checked that out and that is the piece it will rest in in its final set up. They'll have to raise the crane to get these sections to the top. Lastly, I don't think I see the mirror assembly installed in the section. I thought I read that it will be installed in fall, long after the section is in place. I have no clue how one would do that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hdfxdwg View Post
Hmmmm. I have to wonder if this rotating beacon will be just whats needed for this thing to be judged as a spire as opposed to a mast and be counted toward the official height now. While i do like the mast,now that i see the tip,i feel perhaps they should have made the entire thing out of,what appears to be stainless steel. Just my .02
IMO it doesn't matter if the beacon causes it to be judged a spire. We all know what this thing is, and we all know how tall this tower really is despite what some committee says.

Put WTC1 and the Shanghai tower side by side and tell me which is taller. Most people will say the Shanghai tower is taller.

Now, if the antenna was incorporated directly into the design then that might be different. The Chrysler building does a fantastic job with this. It is seamless, and looks like part of the building. WTC1 by contrast looks like a building that tops out at ~1300ft and has a giant stick on top.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:33 PM

NewYorque you must be a newbie, but the communication ring is the same ring as in the other render just without the dishes which will be installed soon once they get broadcasting tenants.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:20 PM

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
There's some odd, special quality about the New York skyline, maybe it's true of any skyline, but I find it especially true in Manhattan. You could build any slew of new and different buildings, but once complete, they fit. They just look like they belong, like they could've been there forever. It's pretty cool...
Many cities with sparkling new skyscrapers will never have a skyline of such diversity and beauty as NYC. I love the different styles of architecture that makes NYC unique.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Courtesy of ironmike

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:40 PM

Does anyone here know what percent of the spire will likely be used for communications equipment?

If the equipment space demand will be considerably less than originally thought since its design, It would be a nice if they could limit mounting all the transmitting equipment to the rings and clad the spire with the brushed stainless look panels they used at the tip.

I know things don't work that way in the real world but it would be a cool look especially with the sun rise & sun set.

Good Luck Carlos....We miss that telephoto lense & updates

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:58 PM
Sukaitsuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
NewYorque you must be a newbie, but the communication ring is the same ring as in the other render just without the dishes which will be installed soon once they get broadcasting tenants.
The new ring design has deleted some elements of the former one.

the three superposed silver rings were not supposed to have a "skeleton" appearance. They were fully consistent.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hdfxdwg View Post
If they made it out of stainless steel it would have cost more than making two spires.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive