HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:14 AM

I could stand anything in a city like NYC, but scattered litters in the downtown streets.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:12 AM

I personally thought this was interesting: Judging from the time-line in this video it appears the spire change was made years ago well before the public heard about it! At 53:00 you will notice a WTC 1 drawing on the wall shown with the current "spire/antenna" similar to the one being installed now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeTcuJwjl4
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittywhompus View Post
I personally thought this was interesting: Judging from the time-line in this video it appears the spire change was made years ago well before the public heard about it! At 53:00 you will notice a WTC 1 drawing on the wall shown with the current "spire/antenna" similar to the one being installed now. :shrug
Yeah, I believe ZenSteeldude actually posted that drawing once. The underlying structure (the antenna) has always been the same, which is shown in the drawing. The documentary itself has always used a version of the "completed" spire.

Gary Dunaier

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM

I thought they'd be working on the guys by now. Maybe they aren't worried about those before hurricane season starts. They might not be able to install them till the platform or one crane is down.

Last edited by MadGnome; Feb 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, I believe ZenSteeldude actually posted that drawing once. The underlying structure (the antenna) has always been the same, which is shown in the drawing.
I posted that plan.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 3:45 PM

yo.becker

[/QUOTE]

This is one of the most detailed and beautiful pictures of 1WTC to date. You have a REALLY awesome camera lense and PERFECT vantage point! Please keep providing us with these same snapshots as major progress goes forward!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 4:48 PM

watching the Earthcam feed.. the HD Live one, they are lifting some pieces up to the roof.. I can't tell what it is though.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:11 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the whole complex in Google Earth is in desperate need of an update!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
watching the Earthcam feed.. the HD Live one, they are lifting some pieces up to the roof.. I can't tell what it is though.
I believe they are parts on the communications ring

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I posted that plan.

If you look close you'll see that is an "x-ray" shot of the interior structure, the glass is missing in the drawing as well.

Are the guy wires on this spire necessary to the structural support or were they originally designed to be cosmetic?
I know they will help strengthen it but are they a requirement due to the size?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I'm beginning to miss the black netting lol...
Hee, me too! I grew so used to the black netting... There was always at least 20 floors' worth of black netting on 1 WTC at all times. It's sooooo weird that there's nearly zero black netting now (just the blue at the very top!) and that it is almost completely cladded now. The renderings we've seen is really coming to life. So odd! But in a good way.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the whole complex in Google Earth is in desperate need of an update!
Hee, I had to go look after you said that. It seems to be a mishmash of construction in various stages -- you can see when 1 WTC had 3 cranes on top and when they were constructing the temporary platform, but the amount of glass on it matches how much they had up last summer. 4 WTC confused the hell out of me. LOL! That's about how it looked in late 2011, right? Yikes. You're right, I wonder what's up with that on Google Earth. I remember when Google Earth was showing the deconstruction of the Deutsche Bank Building across from the complex in pretty much real-time -- it was so neat.

You have to admit... update or no update, it's neat seeing the complex like that!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:53 PM

And thus the first WTC meme was created...

Q:Why do we have a plain antenna now?

A:The spire was too high in price!!!

Get it? No...ok.

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Feb 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
This annoys me, they are being charged and arrested....isn't marijuana decriminalized in NYS??

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
This annoys me, they are being charged and arrested....isn't marijuana decriminalized in NYS??
It's decriminalized, but if they were caught smoking and selling it while on-site, they deserve to be punished because they might be putting other people in danger. Working while high on a high building is dangerous for everybody.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
Yeah lol, noticed that too. Must be too busy developing glass

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, I believe ZenSteeldude actually posted that drawing once. The underlying structure (the antenna) has always been the same, which is shown in the drawing. The documentary itself has always used a version of the "completed" spire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I posted that plan.
Sorry guys! I didn't know it was brought up years ago about the spire change until a few months ago. I try to visit the forums almost daily, so that must of been one of the days I missed about that topic!

I love coming here and seeing daily pics plus all the knowledge/info you forumers have on WTC 1 construction (plus other projects and proposals)! Thank you

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 12:08 AM

Just joined and as a NYC transplant to California, LOVE following the progress of 1WTC. Thanks everyone for the pictures! So amazing to get the skyline back.

You know, the banter about the spire is so interesting and makes me reflect on my childhood. When the WTC was completed, my parents took us kids down to the "fill" (what is now Battery Park City) circa 1972-ish. It was really just a huge field of dirt and sand and we had a BBQ. I'll never forget people complaining about the towers. Non-stop. "They don't match Manhattan"... "The most boring slab-sided buildings ever erected"... "They ruin NYC". On and on and on. Then, a few years later when they put the antenna on the north tower, people went berserk. Now, 40 years later, I bet all those folks miss the twin towers as much as I do... antenna and all.

As an engineer, I can tell you, I can't see HOW the radome could have possibly been maintained/repaired. I know many doubt the explanation by the builders but I have to say, it would have been impossible to clean/maintain/repair that multi-panel covering without erecting scaffolding or installing some kind of permanent "kangaroo crane". The other option would have been to affix the panels on the interior of a skeleton but that would present even greater challenges.

It's difficult to see it now, but believe me, once the temporary platforms are removed... and the cranes vanish... the design pattern from a distance (which is the view EVEYRYONE will see... not the close-ups posted here) will not look transparent... it will appear solid and actually resemble the original radome pattern... particularly since most people will be looking UP at the spire, not directly into it at close range.

The current design actually resembles the AT&T building antennas in SoHo... transparent and clunky zoomed in... but solid and patterned from afar:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 12:24 AM

Greetings to all,
I follow the forum long before my membership.
I think the antenna-spire is a fake problem.First of all I think the radome is not nice form live like in the rendering.
The radome has a synthetic white very cold, then i dn't think a spire so thick as that of the original design is the best thing, as too thick and intrusive creates a streamlined building.
Speaking of things more concrete, anyone knows if the small platforms surrounding the joints of the pieces of the antenna will be removed at the end?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive