HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:09 AM

In layman's terms: they are structurally aligning the base with the rest of the building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:17 AM
Bionic Boogie

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Last edited by CarlosV; Jan 7, 2013 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-T View Post
Please, somebody explain me what the strange thing they are doing with the corners ????
-
No more diagonal corners. They're turning the base in to a box. Unfortunate, but supposedly it was deemed necessary.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
No more diagonal corners. They're turning the base in to a box. Unfortunate, but supposedly it was deemed necessary.
ok i got it , but not to get crazy or anything
does anybody know why?

for real why? is it by design or for safety?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
ok i got it , but not to get crazy or anything
does anybody know why?

for real why? is it by design or for safety?
Safety. The prismatic glass that was orginally going to be used broke to easily into dangerous shards.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 12:38 PM

The base was squared off because some moron from the P. A. decided that the customers would perceive the building as less stable with the chamfered corners. The "safety" rationalizations were just tacked on to support their idiocy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
The base was squared off because some moron from the P. A. decided that the customers would perceive the building as less stable with the chamfered corners. The "safety" rationalizations were just tacked on to support their idiocy.
Where is your source for that statement? 1wtc will be the safest office building ever imagined and safest ever built. The building is already almost fully leased out with Conde Nast as the main tenant! This building will not be coming down or fail like the twin towers did. 1wtc is extraordinary in ever aspect!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:17 PM

^ Don't fool yourself. If someone really wants it to come down it will come down.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
That is not true. Stop spreading conspiracy in the construction thread of One World Trade Center.

The main reason why the base was squared off is the company couldn't manufacture the blast proof glass for a chamfered base, and even if it could be made it broke into dangerous shards as mentioned above. That is why the base is being squared off.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:50 PM
Closed account

I'd have to admit that it's a great successor to it's two towers from before. I'm proud to see it stand tall! Thanks for the beautiful snapshots guys

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
^ Don't fool yourself. If someone really wants it to come down it will come down.
Highly doubt that.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
That is not true. Stop spreading conspiracy in the construction thread of One World Trade Center.

The main reason why the base was squared off is the company couldn't manufacture the blast proof glass for a chamfered base, and even if it could be made it broke into dangerous shards as mentioned above. That is why the base is being squared off.
The problem was that the panels were so deformed after the tempering process that they couldn't be laminated. It wasn't ever intented to be blast proof glass, and the chamfering didn't played a major roll in the issue.

The new design created by SOM consists of faceted panels that, due to the arrangement of these, can't be positioned into a chamfered geometry without getting odd forms at the corners, so the chamfering was scrapped.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
It would take an extraordinary effort to take this building down. It would take a great effort to take any building down, but this building is far more than any other building.
No one's going to be taking this building down, though I'm sure there are plenty of terrorist who would like to. And that's why the extraordinary effort went into building it.
What happened with the original complex was beyond anything anyone would have imagined, but the circumstances were unique.

francesc.farre

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post

I see you're still pretending to know anything about anything. The glass has nothing to do with squaring off the corners.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:50 PM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The problem was that the panels were so deformed after the tempering process that they couldn't be laminated. It wasn't ever intented to be blast proof glass, and the chamfering didn't played a major roll in the issue.

The new design created by SOM consists of faceted panels that, due to the arrangement of these, can't be positioned into a chamfered geometry without getting odd forms at the corners, so the chamfering was scrapped.
I've heard both that and the shattering explanation that once they were deformed by the tempering process, a large number of the panels cracked and the few that did make it past all that failed catastrophically at the hammer test. I remember posts saying "there's a youtube video of the test," but I have never been able to find it.

PS the "unstable" image idea is BS, unless you find evidence to support it, however I could actually imagine that happening... there is growing conciseness that it looks better squared anyway.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:42 AM

Should the whole exterior meaning spire glass and most of the base be done by may? and is it still opening late 2013 or is it early 2014 now?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:22 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Taken from Secaucus JCT

World Trade Center from Secaucus JCT by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:04 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will there still be programmable lights once the building is completed? Or are our current light shows temporary?

It seems like the current lights are set pretty far back (i.e. within the space that will become leased), not embedded into the floors' cross-sections or anything. Somehow I cannot see 1 WTC's client businesses agreeing to let the building owners control lighting in their offices during such-and-such hours.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:10 AM
I Love Tall Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabedamien View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but will there still be programmable lights once the building is completed? Or are our current light shows temporary?

It seems like the current lights are set pretty far back (i.e. within the space that will become leased), not embedded into the floors' cross-sections or anything. Somehow I cannot see 1 WTC's client businesses agreeing to let the building owners control lighting in their offices during such-and-such hours.
The light shows are when for the building is under construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive