HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 12:23 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
None of your pictures are coming through for me.
Yep, same thing for myself. Disappointing with the description sounding so excited.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 1:05 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
None of your pictures are coming through for me.
yup you need to upload them to something like imgur - we don't have the permissions to see those so they just appear as anti-symbols for us. Reupload them and relink them please!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 1:54 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
The sidewalk is open again, and the building looks incredible at street level! My photos:

Only strange part is this beam sticking straight out from the facade:

That's strange you couldn't see them... I used the same method as my last 20 or so images to this forum. I edited my original post... can you see them now?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 2:02 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
That's strange you couldn't see them... I used the same method as my last 20 or so images to this forum. I edited my original post... can you see them now?
Yup you can see them now!

And what the HECK are they going to do with that i beam sticking out of the building..?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 2:18 AM

Maybe they plan on hanging signage similar to Bread Bar's Locke Street location.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 2:30 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
Maybe they plan on hanging signage similar to Bread Bar's Locke Street location.
I didn't think you were allowed to hang signs off buildings if you took them down? Hence the pagoda sign issue on king st and the buttinskys sign issue at the capitol theatre...

I do love the light and dark blue cornice work though.. very nicely done.. a nice reflection of their cornice work on the building on king william st as well

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:25 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I'm unimpressed by the street level, although it's good to see that black cornice return. Great set, thanks for sharing it

Once a retailer moves in I may change my views of the street level, although it reminds me of those inane mall designs which are supposed to look "modern".

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:57 AM
Ham-burgher

A sign will probably sit atop the beam, not hang down (note the holes in the upper flange). AGH's is like that.

Will have to take a stroll to see it in person. Opening of the sidewalk is just in time for Supercrawl.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 11:05 PM
Forever forward.

The dumpster in front is gone, and you can see the project really clearly now!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 11:37 PM

Love it!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:37 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I'm unimpressed by the street level, although it's good to see that black cornice return. Great set, thanks for sharing it

Once a retailer moves in I may change my views of the street level, although it reminds me of those inane mall designs which are supposed to look "modern".
I kinda agree with this - imo since they went so fancy with the cornices they coulda gone a bit fancier with the ground floor entrance - kinda how william thomas did with the columns, giving it a little bit of detail.. mind you it doesn't look like they are finished yet.. what with the brown at the bottom of the pillars on this building.. so maybe they will still have some sort of treatment.

As for the majority of it being glass - that is simply part of the building code for new buildings - 85-90% of the entrance has to be glass now I think and you are only allowed to use 2 or 3 different materials.

I love that cornice detailing on the second floor of 11 james st s though.. really caps it off nicely - and I was wondering what they were gonna do with the damaged brick part - covering it up was a good choice. I wonder what they are going to do for the top cornice though - keep it green? Paint it blue like the cornices below? Make it black and silver like the one on king st its connected to?

Also what's up with the scaffolding on the top floor by the wall? Are they going to do some wall repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
A sign will probably sit atop the beam, not hang down (note the holes in the upper flange). AGH's is like that.

Will have to take a stroll to see it in person. Opening of the sidewalk is just in time for Supercrawl.
Hmm I'd have to see that in person - because I believe the sirloin cellar sign was supported on the bottom AND top - and they can't support it on the top anymore as there is nothing to attach to the building in that way.. mind you.. having an actual i-beam is a lot of support so maybe it CAN just rest on the top..

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 13, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:42 PM

No doubt they want wanted to clean up the sidewalk and frontage to coincide with supercrawl.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:30 PM

I absolutely love the steel beam sticking out. Great reminder of what once was....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:01 PM
Hamilton Historian

So I went by this during supercrawl - those pillars are getting a paneling effect made of wood similar to the cornices above them.I am curious as to whether they will be blue as well.

I am also curious as to what kind of precautions these people have in mind for graffiti taggers who will most likely spray stuff all over their nice looking pillars after..

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
So I went by this during supercrawl - those pillars are getting a paneling effect made of wood similar to the cornices above them.I am curious as to whether they will be blue as well.

I am also curious as to what kind of precautions these people have in mind for graffiti taggers who will most likely spray stuff all over their nice looking pillars after..
Idk, their other buildings don’t get tagged nor does the Lister Block.

You’d think these places are decently lit at night and have top notch cameras.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:21 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Not to go too far off topic but speaking of tagging.... why is it such an epidemic downtown? Is it the same lot of people doing it all over and is anything being done to address this problem? There is some truly beautiful graffiti in the city which actually adds to the vibe downtown when done tastefully and in the right places but this senseless tagging everywhere is a major blight on our city!

As for this building has any commercial tenants been rumoured yet?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:00 PM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 18, 2022 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Not to go too far off topic but speaking of tagging.... why is it such an epidemic downtown? Is it the same lot of people doing it all over and is anything being done to address this problem? There is some truly beautiful graffiti in the city which actually adds to the vibe downtown when done tastefully and in the right places but this senseless tagging everywhere is a major blight on our city!

As for this building has any commercial tenants been rumoured yet?

The Bread Bar from Locke is opening a 2nd location here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:40 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
The Bread Bar from Locke is opening a 2nd location here.
Oh that's exciting, thank you!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:47 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
keenur
PAC was always the coolest graffiti, because they put that in the CRAZIEST hardest to reach areas of the city.

I was also a fan of the one eyed round headed alien graffiti, but that might have just been local to the east end..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton