HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 2:43 PM

Eye opening, eye popping. Sellers, buyers, and brokers all come out looking terrible in this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/m...-pandemic.html

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Eye opening, eye popping. Sellers, buyers, and brokers all come out looking terrible in this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/m...-pandemic.html
I was about to post the same link to the very looong NYT Magazine article. I thought this article was borderline hysterical. I know the local real estate market has been red hot this year, but I think this paints a pretty distorted picture of the current market. It almost reads like a hit piece, one that is trying to slow Austin's roll.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 6:11 PM

Austin rated best city in the world to relocate to.

https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/relocation-report

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:14 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Austin rated best city in the world to relocate to.

https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/relocation-report
Again - glad I bought a house already.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 10:25 PM

EAST Austin Is Over. What’s Next for an Art Scene That’s Losing Its Nucleus?

An annual tour of artist studios opts for a wider map as cost of living blows up the east side of the city

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-en...tour-changing/

"It was organically grown with all these little incubator spaces, and it became this thing that grew, and we kind of gentrified ourselves,” Joshua Green tells me. He’s sitting behind a storefront counter in the Arboretum shopping mall in Northwest Austin, reminiscing about East Austin’s art scene over the past two decades. More specifically, he’s explaining the rise and fall of Pump Project, the 20,000-square-foot shared studio space he cofounded and ran for over a decade on Shady Lane. Pump Project was a memorably makeshift hub for artists during what one might call the intermediate phase of East Austin’s gentrification, when hipsters were beginning to overrun the Black, Hispanic, and warehouse-dotted side of town but rents were still low enough to attract broke creatives in need of space. Those prices did not last. In 2018, Green says, his landlord sold the building that housed Pump Project for $2.4 million.

Pump Project was also a longtime favorite stop on the East Austin Studio Tour (EAST), an annual November event in which neighborhood artists throw open the doors of their living rooms, sheds, grungy collective spaces, machine shops, and storefront galleries to show and sell their wares. These days, East Austin is, according to some creative types, “over,” and so, in a sense, is EAST. The event returned this November after a year’s hiatus due to the pandemic, but the name has been changed to AST, or Austin Studio Tour, after a pandemic-necessitated merger with the springtime West Austin Studio Tour. Now, artists from both sides of Interstate 35 are invited to participate in the same fall event.

The name change, which seems more likely than not to become permanent (“So far, it looks like artists and the four-person team are loving the once-a-year event,” says Coka Treviño of event organizer Big Medium) can be seen to mark an epochal shift in Austin’s art community: while artists are still drawn to the energy, legacy, and showcasing institutions of East Austin, the creative “scene” is no longer geographically rooted and has had to find whatever spaces can be found in the nooks and crannies of the city’s tight real estate market.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 10:29 PM

How the Alamo Drafthouse Turned Trash Cinema into a Cultural Institution

A new book tells the sweeping tale of the Alamo’s Weird Wednesday series, the American Genre Film Archive, and Austin’s custodians of cult

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-en...l-institution/

When Lars Nilsen was growing up in North Carolina in the seventies, his local multiplex used to program kids’ movies on summer afternoons. Stuff like Swiss Family Robinson or (far more meaningful to Nilsen) Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster that you could watch for a dollar while your parents worked. Nilsen went almost every single day. After one matinee, Nilsen recalls, he found himself outside the theater, impulsively pawing through its trash bins. There he came across a small piece of film history, lying discarded among the soda cups and stale popcorn: a couple yards of celluloid that had been lopped off of the 1956 kaiju classic Rodan. Nilsen was thrilled. Taking it home was a pivotal moment for him, Nilsen says—that feeling like he actually owned Rodan.

Nilsen moved to Austin in 1994. He worked a late shift at Kinko’s; he spent some time driving a cab. But mostly, just like those summers when he was a kid, he watched a lot of movies. In 1997, Nilsen met another film fanatic, Tim League, who, along with his wife, Karrie, had just opened the first Alamo Drafthouse Cinema inside a former parking garage in downtown. Nilsen soon became the Alamo’s first real regular, often hanging out with the Leagues and like-minded obsessives after the show. He started suggesting films that the Leagues should screen, drawing from his deep knowledge of cult curios like ’Gator Bait and Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41. Eventually, League asked Nilsen to do some of the preshow introductions for these. Nilsen proved to be a charismatic emcee: knowledgeable, funny, almost effortlessly entertaining—and what’s more, he could sell the hell out of anything. It wasn’t long before League officially gave Nilsen a job, putting him in charge of programming and hosting the Alamo’s fledgling midnight-movie series, Weird Wednesday.

Like everything about the Alamo Drafthouse, Weird Wednesday has its own, nigh-mythical lore. The story always starts in 1999, when League got a tip about a former movie-house depot out in East Prairie, Missouri, where thousands of 35mm prints had just been abandoned and left to rot. League flew up and bought the whole lot of them. He rented a truck that could safely carry 11,500 pounds, and he loaded it with 20,000 pounds of film, driving his rusty, moldy bounty back to Austin on an overheated engine and straining axles. On his slow ride home, League hashed out a way to justify his impulse purchase. The Alamo would start a free late-night series for adventurous moviegoers, he decided, where he would pluck something from his haul, neither he nor the audience knowing exactly what surprises lay in store. Sexploitation flicks, Italian giallo, lesbian vampires, hillbilly cannibals, psychedelic freak-outs—they would discover these forsaken films together.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 3:00 AM

New York Times published an article today that puts a spotlight on Austin's serious lack of affordability.

How Austin Became One of the Least Affordable Cities in America

The capital of Texas has long been an attractive place to call home. But with an average of 180 new residents a day arriving, its popularity has created a brewing housing crisis that is reshaping the city.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
New York Times published an article today that puts a spotlight on Austin's serious lack of affordability.

How Austin Became One of the Least Affordable Cities in America

The capital of Texas has long been an attractive place to call home. But with an average of 180 new residents a day arriving, its popularity has created a brewing housing crisis that is reshaping the city.
It’s an incredibly shitty, poorly researched article. It conflates the city and the whole metro continually, and lists IBM as both a recent arrival and a long time fixture (on subsequent paragraphs).

It finally, paragraphs in, reaches the “how” ( that Austin can’t build enough housing) but then never investigates why.

Add:

More criticism: https://twitter.com/jamesrambin/stat...453448193?s=21

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:00 PM

I love this idea - turning 6th street into a night market
https://austin.towers.net/to-build-a...e-night-market

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I know maybe I should be more pessimistic but I'm starting to feel a little better about 6th St recently. There seems to be some real recognition that there's a problem, and a lot of focus to fix it.

Always the possibility it'll be derailed in the end, but I like the progress made so far.

Also, yeah, the night market would kick ass.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I do too. Sorry but I see this slogging along like the Seaholm intake proposals.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:40 PM
World Traveler

As someone who lived in Asia for many years, I would LOVE a night market. I miss it. Granted, the street food would be more expensive than any in mainland China, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc...but still would be super cool. My wife and I would certainly frequent it.

Some of my favorite night markets were pop-up markets after the work day and were successful areas of town during the day in their own right. It's a great way to consider how to better utilize certain areas of town, especially in urban areas.

And I would love to see a similar model in the burbs that have quasi-downtown areas of their own (i.e., Georgetown, Round Rock, etc.). These worked well in Asia basically anywhere. The downtown ones were the largest and most successful - sometimes open every night - but they could literally pop up in a parking lot one night per week or something...

Edit: One last bit to add. I've seen parking garages and underutilized shopping malls used in the same ways.

Last edited by drummer; Dec 2, 2021 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:40 PM

New bowl game somewhere in Texas? I did remember reading not too long ago about the NCAA wanting a bowl game in Austin at DKR.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/0...edium=news_tab

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:33 PM
Resident Moron

A night market would be AMAZING.

The issue with dirty 6th is simple.

Everyone except the owners, tourists and 23 year olds would like for it to become a bit more upscale and a bit less puke on the sidewalk.

The problem is you could open a high end cocktail bar and serve 100 18 dollar cocktails in an hour or be the dizzy rooster and sell 1,000 8 dollar beers in an hour with another 500 10 dollar shots.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:35 PM

I came across this short video that explains building foundation engineering, specifically techniques to mitigate and defend against soil consolidation and shifting. Sharing this here as it's relevant to skyscraper construction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsuCQRQ6W4Y

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 9:43 PM

What happened to the night lighting on The Independent. It was never very visible, and now it just seems dark up there?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 10:06 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
What happened to the night lighting on The Independent. It was never very visible, and now it just seems dark up there?
I think it was dark lights stuff for bird migrations that darkened the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:04 PM

There's a new reality show on Netflix based in Austin. It's called "Twenty Somethings: Austin". Similar to Real World formula. What's funny is ya boi actually applied to be on this show and I actually Airbnb'd the housing unit in May for my friends bachelor party lmao

Last edited by gillynova; Dec 15, 2021 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
There's a new reality show on Netflix based in Austin. It's called "Twenty Somethings: Austin". Similar to Real World formula. What's funny is ya boi actually applied to be on this show and I actually Airbnb's the housing unit in May for my friends bachelor party lmao
That's amazing! I'm curious to see how that show portrays Austin.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 9:11 PM

In this affordability forecast from Zillow, there was this shocking little nugget:

Quote:
. . . [S]ome large markets are likely to transition from middle of the pack or better affordability to a far-less-affordable tier of markets. In Austin, for example, the typical local home buyer in June 2020 should have expected to spend less than a fifth (19.7%) of their income on mortgage payments; by June 2021, that number had risen to more than a quarter (25.3%). By December, even if mortgage rates stay the same moving forward, home buyers in Austin should be prepared to spend 30.1% of their income on a mortgage — above the 30% housing-burdened threshold. Currently, Austin is more affordable for would-be home buyers than eight other large metro areas; by December, Austin will become less affordable than Seattle, Miami and New York. The only markets that will be less-affordable than Austin at the end of the year are all in typically pricey California: Riverside, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose and San Francisco.
https://www.zillow.com/research/hous...st-2021-29944/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin