HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:47 PM

High-rises up Cypress Mountain make no sense. I know that there are few midrises already but this looks bad.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:01 PM

Highrises are actually a good thing here because in exchange for the extra density the western lands are being preserved.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cypr...fic-properties

I'm also not in favour of mountain clearcuts either but the forest that is being removed is second growth. The trees are all the same height with no life under the canopy in the darkness. Directly west of the site in Cypress Falls Park there are legitimate stands of old growth. The largest trees I've ever seen anywhere near Vancouver. There is also significant old growth further west near Whyte Lake. Thankfully these areas are already protected and won't be impacted.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Great photos and many thanks. I want this design and site layout everywhere in ferry terminal bays.
Yes I agree. More of these around the Horseshoe Bay terminal slopes will make it look like an exotic Mediterranean town of sorts. Quite an adventure to wind one's way up slopes through narrow walkways, stairs and alleys, with small plazas and vistas along the way to view the bay and waters. Little quaint shops and restaurants/cafes should be included all over.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Highrises are actually a good thing here because in exchange for the extra density the western lands are being preserved.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cypr...fic-properties

I'm also not in favour of mountain clearcuts either but the forest that is being removed is second growth. The trees are all the same height with no life under the canopy in the darkness. Directly west of the site in Cypress Falls Park there are legitimate stands of old growth. The largest trees I've ever seen anywhere near Vancouver. There is also significant old growth further west near Whyte Lake. Thankfully these areas are already protected and won't be impacted.
If they were smart the developers would have installed a gondola to service the area BEFORE the residents moved in
(or West Vancouver should have required it).
Remember that the Grosvenors privately built the Lions Gate Bridge to service the British Properties.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:51 PM

No kidding. If West Van thinks traffic is bad now, 7k new captive drivers are definitely not going to help things.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
If they were smart the developers would have installed a gondola to service the area BEFORE the residents moved in
(or West Vancouver should have required it).
Remember that the Grosvenors privately built the Lions Gate Bridge to service the British Properties.
BP will operate a private bus service until Translink ever decides to route a bus here. And the Upper Levels plan envisioned a highway bus route that might make sense here.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 9:17 PM

I think I remember some rendering of Cypress Village with gondolas, but they were dropped.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think I remember some rendering of Cypress Village with gondolas, but they were dropped.
I think that was Henson's plan.

https://www.urbanyvr.com/wentworth-l...est-vancouver/

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
BP will operate a private bus service until Translink ever decides to route a bus here. And the Upper Levels plan envisioned a highway bus route that might make sense here.
I can't imagine Cypress would be any friendlier to buses than SFU is. Sure, they could do a gondola, but now we're talking about development-oriented transit when it should be the other way around.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
A lot farther to the east.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
No different than any of the development around Coquitlam. They are protecting the western portions of the land in exchange for higher density around the proposed development. And there's no single family homes either while also adding some commercial which the area needs.
Density is only useful if it can be served by transit, which is impossible here. I agree it's just as bad in Coquitlam, but West Van is the money shot from downtown! One acre here is worth ten in the Northeast

I would love for West Van to have a series of gondolas running down to a rapid transit line along Marine Drive, with all the gridded streets densified with 6-12 storey small towers (keeping all the mature trees), and Henson-plan-like clusters around the gondola stops further up where the mega homes currently are... one can always dream right

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Density is only useful if it can be served by transit, which is impossible here. I agree it's just as bad in Coquitlam, but West Van is the money shot from downtown! One acre here is worth ten in the Northeast

I would love for West Van to have a series of gondolas running down to a rapid transit line along Marine Drive, with all the gridded streets densified with 6-12 storey small towers (keeping all the mature trees), and Henson-plan-like clusters around the gondola stops further up where the mega homes currently are... one can always dream right
It makes more sense for a highway bus line to connect to some north/south bus connections to rapid transit. There is no way rapid transit will end up west of Park Royal.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 8:59 PM

There's a decent argument for an extension to Ambleside or Dunderave... in fifty years, when all the NIMBYs are long gone and replaced with slightly more tolerant NIMBYs. Meanwhile, it's going to be an absolute PITA to get a bus from the highway all the way up to Cypress Falls - they're really going to need that pie-in-the-sky gondola.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
West Van residents take the BUS. That would be the day. I hope traffic there gets worse.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 9:58 PM

Critical bike network improvement moving forward for N Van: https://www.dnv.org/streets-transpor...g-improvements

A bike ride across the North Shore will get you on all sorts of facilities, but this section of Main is one of the scariest. It's only too bad that this project doesn't go all the way east to the bridgehead. I'll take what I can get though!

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 10:03 PM

The only way they'll make a case for transit is building. Look at every other municipality in the area.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 10:39 PM

Again though, just how and would TransLink get a bus line up to Cypress Falls? Burnaby Mountain already kills enough transmissions as it is.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Again though, just how and would TransLink get a bus line up to Cypress Falls? Burnaby Mountain already kills enough transmissions as it is.
I mean Production Way - SFU is up almost 200m. From the Cypress Bowl highway exit to the village it's about +97m near the point where I think they want transit to extend to. Beyond that section it is like 12% road grades.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Critical bike network improvement moving forward for N Van: https://www.dnv.org/streets-transpor...g-improvements
How do they plan on implementing this? I hope there is no crazy pipedream to claim one of the few traffic lanes to make it into a bikelane. Traffic on Main Street is already a permanent mess with no road capacity to spare.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
How do they plan on implementing this? I hope there is no crazy pipedream to claim one of the few traffic lanes to make it into a bikelane. Traffic on Main Street is already a permanent mess with no road capacity to spare.
Seems like it's on the grass next to the sidewalk just headed west. If you fill the survey you'll get the renders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley