HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:57 PM

The bills are written in a way that neither increase will require voter approvals.

The TRT increase will be handled by the State directly as part of the bill for the possible MLB stadium.

The Sales Tax increase for SLC and the NBA/NHL arena will just need approval by the City Council.

The only thing that is interesting with these bills is that SLC is listed as the host city for both stadiums. We knew that the Miller's wanted the ballpark to be in SLC and even have a location in mind, plus they have a development plan for the surrounding area. They also have stated they will commit $3.5 Billion to the development.

The NHL/NBA arena has been rumored to be moving to the Point. Seeing the State come out and state it would be located in Downtown SLC is amazing. It is more amazing in who is pushing the bill, being that the Point is much closer to them.

These bills, look to me at least, seem to show that the State Legislature has finally realized that SLC is the driving force for the State and they are openly stating as such.

Now, there are 2 things that I feel would have changed the location for the NBA/NHL arena. The first is that if the Commercial market was stronger, the State would have pushed for the arena to be at the Point as a focal point for the district. The second is the SLC administration. Like her or not, Erin Mendenhall and her working with the State on items that impact the City, rather than 100% oppose the State, has garnered good will. I think even with the current Commercial market, had Rocky become the Mayor again, I think the arena would have been announced at the Point.

Now, with this said, I do think that the new NBA/NHL arena and accompanying entertainment district will be located on parking lot at 4th South and Main. With the Techlink corridor coming soon, it is likely to have direct access to 2 Trax stops that will allow for better flows for riders while reducing needed transfers.

With the stated possible size (50 Acres), this would have a major impact to the area. I am hopeful that it would include a redevelopment of the Little America block and the Sheraton block while including portions of nearby properties.

While I do like the thought of the arena near the Rio Grande/Central Station, I think the plan from the City has the 4th South block being the location for the new arena.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 4:32 PM
Space Magi

What's the requirement for those 50 acres exactly? The Newhouse block would be an excellent location for an arena but it will be incredibly difficult to scrape together 50 acres there. A single SLC block is 10 acres.

Tbh, without the Rio Grande Plan, the only place near downtown with that much contiguous, available land for redevelopment is the Power District.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:24 PM

The Newhouse block would be a gamechanger for downtown if it's developed the way Makid described. Especially if the Little American block is also redeveloped.
However, Rio Grande and the Power district would still be good. 50 acres seems like the right size for either of those.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:35 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
What's the requirement for those 50 acres exactly? The Newhouse block would be an excellent location for an arena but it will be incredibly difficult to scrape together 50 acres there. A single SLC block is 10 acres.

Tbh, without the Rio Grande Plan, the only place near downtown with that much contiguous, available land for redevelopment is the Power District.
Yeah realistically, if they are serious about 50 acres, would probably be the Rio Grande area or part of the Power District. You've got loads of brownfield potential in those areas. NHL/NBA and MLB seasons could keep the power district active year-round, though it may be overwhelming to have an event in each venue in the same night.

But if we're dreaming there are loads of disposable buildings in that 400 S area, including entire blocks that could be razed and completely renewed. I don't think the Sheraton, Crystal Inn, Palladio Apartments, and Hilton Garden blocks have a single structure worth keeping long-term, other than Caffe Molise and the adjacent building. Obviously a pipe dream as I don't know how control could be gained over 50 acres of land. There are probably at least a dozen property owners you'd need to work with. Personally I don't see Little America going anywhere but I guess it's an option.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:34 PM

If you include the Delta Center block, the gateway and the block South of the Delta Center, that would be about 50 acres. Just say'n.

Also, I believe it says "up to 50 acres" so it could be less and it probably wouldn't mean 50 acres of Greenfield, it could be as simple as a rezoning and or repurpose existing structures or incorporate compatible existing uses.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
If you include the Delta Center block, the gateway and the block South of the Delta Center, that would be about 50 acres. Just say'n.

Also, I believe it says "up to 50 acres" so it could be less and it probably wouldn't mean 50 acres of Greenfield, it could be as simple as a rezoning and or repurpose existing structures or incorporate compatible existing uses.
I assume Station Center is included in this.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:22 PM
Space Magi

The relevant section of the bill:

Quote:
63N-3-1302. Sports and entertainment project area.
(1) A local government may, according to the requirements and procedures of this part, create a sports and entertainment project area for the use of revenue authorized under Section 59-12-402.5 for the purposes allowed under Section 63N-3-1303.
(2) A project area created under this part shall:
(a) be located entirely within the boundaries of the local government;
(b) be no greater than 50 acres in area;
(c) consist of property owned, leased, or under the legal control of the applicant referred to in Section 63N-3-1304;
(d) be roughly centered around, and include the entire property footprint of a currently existing qualified stadium;
(e) include the entire property footprint of any qualified stadium that is planned to be built;
(f) be contiguous; and
(g) have boundaries that are reasonably compact in relation to their distance from the currently existing qualified stadium.
The bill does not call out SLC directly. This definitely leaves the door open for Draper and the PoM State Land Authority too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The relevant section of the bill:

The bill does not call out SLC directly. This definitely leaves the door open for Draper and the PoM State Land Authority too.
There are parts of the bill that do restrict the location to close to the Delta Center.

For instance, under the definitions:

(3) "Major professional sports league" means the National Basketball Association or the National Hockey League.
(4) "Project area" means the sports and entertainment project area according to the terms and requirements of this part.
(5) "Project participant" means a person that is approved to participate in the use of public funds in a project area according to the procedures and requirements of this part.
(6) "Qualified stadium" means a sports facility that:
(a) provides seating for spectators in a number that is reasonably consistent with the capacity of other stadiums used by other teams in the major professional sports league;
(b) is located within the project area; and
(c) (i) is in active use as the home venue of a major professional sports league team; or
(ii) in the case of a stadium that is proposed to be constructed, will be the home venue of a major professional sports league.

This does correlate with section 63N-3-1302 that Atlas provided:
(d) be roughly centered around, and include the entire property footprint of a currently existing qualified stadium;
(e) include the entire property footprint of any qualified stadium that is planned to be built;
(f) be contiguous; and
(g) have boundaries that are reasonably compact in relation to their distance from the currently existing qualified stadium.

This does seem to mean that it should be close to the Delta Center and include the Delta Center in the project area.

It also looks like this limits the location of the new arena based on the contiguous nature of the project area, seeing that the existing arena must be included.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:23 AM

Adding some information from today's committee hearing on the NHL/NBA arena bill:

https://twitter.com/LindsayOnAir/sta...15751500308661
Quote:
HAPPENING NOW: @danmccay
is presenting on his bill to help build an NHL stadium, his bill proposes having SLC raise sales tax to help do it.

Salt Lake City Mayor @slcmayor
is presenting with him.

McCay starts with a pitch for bolstering up the city's urban core.
https://twitter.com/LindsayOnAir/sta...16212181963003
Quote:
Sen. @danmccay
argues that downtown is going to double in the coming years.

"Let's not think about a hockey arena he says, but a vibrant urban core. We're not building an area, we're building a capital city," he said.

He also wants to reframe as an investment not a subsidy.
From Mayor Mendenhall:
https://twitter.com/slcmayor/status/1760821357699645766

Quote:
“Salt Lake City is an incredible place to live, work, and visit. It is home to arts, culture, sports, education, entertainment, and so much more. We are working hard together to keep the Utah Jazz in downtown Salt Lake City long term and attract the NHL to the core of the city. As we look toward the future, the time has come to reimagine what the city can be. A lot of work needs to be done through investment to develop new infrastructure, enhance connectivity, attract impactful activations, and create a safe, welcoming environment for everyone in downtown. We look forward to continued collaboration toward accomplishing this goal.”
~ Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall
~ Salt Lake City Council @slcCouncil
~ Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson @SLCoMayor
~ Ryan & Ashley Smith, Smith Entertainment Group @RyanQualtrics

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:30 AM

Man, if they could figure out a way to build a new Jazz/NHL arena downtown with corresponding urban/entertainment district, I would be so pleased.

Make it happen utah!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:44 AM

This is great news. Maybe not the tax increases - hopefully details of that can be further worked out - but the commitment to keep the Jazz and a potential NHL team downtown. I agree with the above poster who stated that Erin Mendenhall likely had a big hand to play and that Rocky would've created a contentious atmosphere that would've increased the chances of the Jazz going to The Point.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:15 AM

^
I agree with this. I don't like the use of public funds for sports venues but everything else is great. My biggest concern, up until this point, was that this would get built in the suburbs and that the Jazz would inevitably follow. Gaining two new, professional teams could be really good for downtown Salt Lake or all that potential could be wasted on some large piece of land in the suburbs somewhere. Right now, it looks like the momentum is for things to happen the way they should. When you consider the 50 acres for a new sports district and the $3.5 billion the millers are investing in the 100 acre power district, plus the investment the Olympics will bring (hopefully that will speed up the RGP), the city is going to be very different in 10 years (If this all falls into place).

I also see Mendenhall's hand in this (I could be wrong, I don't know what happened behind the scenes.) I have been pleasantly surprised with her effectiveness as a mayor so far.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:23 PM

$1 billion NHL bill filed in Utah State Legislature
https://www.fox13now.com/news/politi...te-legislature

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — A billion dollar piece of legislation that would create an "entertainment and sports" district in Salt Lake City has been filed in the Utah State Legislature.

It is the pathway for a National Hockey League arena. Senate Bill 272, sponsored by Sen. Dan McCay, R-Riverton, would allow Salt Lake City to raise sales taxes to help fund it through a bond.

"One thing I love about a consumptive tax is you get to choose how much you pay, right?" Sen. McCay told FOX 13 News in an interview Thursday. "The initial revenue estimates show this is a billion dollars. Salt Lake City still has to meet and impose the tax. This is an opportunity. The state is working with the city to create and really try and make a positive influence downtown."
Quote:
Where would an NHL arena go? There is the potential that the Delta Center gets remodeled to accommodate the Jazz and any potential team. But testimony also signaled an area behind the Salt Palace Convention Center known as "Japantown." Mayor Mendenhall vowed the Japanese-American community would be involved in any negotiations that impact that area.

SB 272 passed unanimously and now goes to the full Senate for a vote.
If they remodel the Delta Center, I would think they would include additional items for an entertainment district on the arena block itself, and the North side of the Convention Center between 2nd and 3rd West. Replace the Fidelity building and even the old Doubletree hotel (whatever brand it is today). They could also partner with the Ritchies on Block 67, and maybe purchase the parking lot on east of the Triad center to expand the entertainment district.

I would prefer to not see the remnants of Japantown cleared out, especially with the extra time and work that has already been done for this section of 1st South by both the City and the Ritchies for Phase 1 of The West Quarter.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:52 PM

How long would it take to do a full interior remodel of the DC to make it NHL/NBA ready? I imagine that isnt something that could be done over the offseason, right? Where would the jazz play in the meantime?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
How long would it take to do a full interior remodel of the DC to make it NHL/NBA ready? I imagine that isnt something that could be done over the offseason, right? Where would the jazz play in the meantime?
The only place that I think they could play, that is designed for basketball, is the Huntsman Center at the U.

I am not sure how or if the Maverick Center would work.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The only place that I think they could play, that is designed for basketball, is the Huntsman Center at the U.

I am not sure how or if the Maverick Center would work.
Huntsman has more capacity by a few thousand, but nothing in the way of suites, which is a big deal for NBA teams. For that, the Maverik might make more sense as it does have suites, because with some upgrades that might be made anyway in advance of the Olympics, it could be a more suitable home for the Jazz for a season. Huntsman needs to be replaced anyway, a circular arena just doesn't offer as good of a fan experience, no suites, no amenities.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:01 PM
Space Magi

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't notice that the title of the bill is literally "CAPITAL CITY REINVESTMENT ZONE AMENDMENTS".

Glad we have some state leaders who want SLC to thrive and succeed.

Quote:
McCay’s sponsorship of the bill is perhaps surprising, given his district includes the Point of the Mountain near his home in Riverton.

McCay choked up while presenting the bill after he reflected on the potential for three professional sports teams within 1.5 miles of each other winning championships.

Pitching his bill to a group of tax-weary Republicans in the Legislature, McCay suggested professional sports lead to vibrant cities that benefit the entire state.

“Regions thrive when they have a strong urban center,” McCay said. “Salt Lake City is our urban core. It’s our capital city and it belongs to all of Utah.”
https://buildingsaltlake.com/utah-ja...r-for-nba-nhl/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It took the Suns either 3 or 4 off-seasons to complete major renovations at FPC in Phoenix. But this was not making it NHL ready, that is a much more extensive rebuild given the need to adjust dimensions to avoid seats with blocked sight-lines.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:16 PM
They all float down here

I wish it was on the Newhouse block if only because that's an entry point to the city that has been vacant of any development for like 40 years.

But by the Salt Palace would be a good spot and continue to help expand downtown westward.

I'm excited.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The bills are written in a way that neither increase will require voter approvals.

The TRT increase will be handled by the State directly as part of the bill for the possible MLB stadium.

The Sales Tax increase for SLC and the NBA/NHL arena will just need approval by the City Council.

The only thing that is interesting with these bills is that SLC is listed as the host city for both stadiums. We knew that the Miller's wanted the ballpark to be in SLC and even have a location in mind, plus they have a development plan for the surrounding area. They also have stated they will commit $3.5 Billion to the development.

The NHL/NBA arena has been rumored to be moving to the Point. Seeing the State come out and state it would be located in Downtown SLC is amazing. It is more amazing in who is pushing the bill, being that the Point is much closer to them.

These bills, look to me at least, seem to show that the State Legislature has finally realized that SLC is the driving force for the State and they are openly stating as such.

Now, there are 2 things that I feel would have changed the location for the NBA/NHL arena. The first is that if the Commercial market was stronger, the State would have pushed for the arena to be at the Point as a focal point for the district. The second is the SLC administration. Like her or not, Erin Mendenhall and her working with the State on items that impact the City, rather than 100% oppose the State, has garnered good will. I think even with the current Commercial market, had Rocky become the Mayor again, I think the arena would have been announced at the Point.

Now, with this said, I do think that the new NBA/NHL arena and accompanying entertainment district will be located on parking lot at 4th South and Main. With the Techlink corridor coming soon, it is likely to have direct access to 2 Trax stops that will allow for better flows for riders while reducing needed transfers.

With the stated possible size (50 Acres), this would have a major impact to the area. I am hopeful that it would include a redevelopment of the Little America block and the Sheraton block while including portions of nearby properties.

While I do like the thought of the arena near the Rio Grande/Central Station, I think the plan from the City has the 4th South block being the location for the new arena.
I have been saying it in this thread from the beginning. Ryan Smith never said he was taking things to the point. In fact he said more to suggest downtown than otherwise. Everyone worried sick about the suburbs has been operating off of nothing but their own fears not actual facts or statements from anyone involved. I’m zero percent surprised. The Jazz will not leave downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West