HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/skylinen...408-s1.article

Hyatt part of proposal for Addison

January 4, 2008
By FELICIA DECHTER

...Although Schultz could not be reached for comment, Lawson said one tower will be a 10-story, 137-room Hyatt Hotel with an entrance on Clark Street, while the other will house 148 residential rental residences in a 9-story building...Additionally, a grocery store, a big box retailer, a health club and drug/convenience store have been proposed for the parcel. Businesses currently located on the planned site, including Bar Louie, Salt & Pepper and Goose Island, will be displaced under the proposal, but will reopen in the new property, Lawson said.
This is a great proposal. I would love to see McDonalds sell their land to a developer for apartments with a requirement that they reopen in the new property.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
As far as the Miami article, the one-sided praise of Daley is getting a bit old. The success of Chicago is undeniable, but article such as these tend to gloss over the city's problems. For example, the article fails to mention the increasingly high cost of living (including the recent increase in property taxes in spite of a record number of high-end residences and high rent office space) that may make Chicago as expensive as DC or Boston in a few years.
It seems that journalists can be overcome with the Daley hype and attribute everything good about Chicago to Daley. It's just lazy journalism that comes from reading other lazy journalism. Pretty soon people are going to be thanking Daley for giving Chicago a lake.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:52 PM
TL;DR

The area around Wrigley around gametime has some of the highest pedestrian traffic levels in the city. It's downright uncomfortable for everybody involved - sidewalks need to be widened where possible.

After the Cubs garage is built on the site of the donut shop, the current parking lot along Seminary Avenue should be turned into a bus loading zone so that the current zones along the street can be turned into wider sidewalks.

The sheer kick-ass-itude of Wrigley on the inside is countered by the horrible design on the outside of the ballpark. I hope the Cubs will consider anything that removes the disgusting concrete panels.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 12:00 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

^Ditto. I can't believe they've lasted this long, they're truly awful.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 1:15 AM
Registered

Cool New artists' adaptive reuse coming to Woodlawn - and TOD

Andy Schcolnik is a saint.

Live & work studios
SOLUTIONS | Creative types find there's an art to discovering the perfect dwelling

January 4, 2008
BY BONNIE MCGRATH Special to the Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/a...ists04.article

Graphic artist Robin Steele and her husband, sculptor Michael Ruback, live in a single-family home on the Northwest Side. Ruback uses a spare upstairs bedroom for his projects. Recently the couple decided to look around for a new work/live space to purchase.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 1:20 AM
THAT Guy

More WaMu branches to close

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=27640

WaMu to close 25 Chicago-area locations
By Steve Daniels

Washington Mutual Inc. will close 25 Chicago-area branches in March and April as the Seattle-based thrift continues to pare its underperforming retail network here.

--------
# Chicago, 200 W. Randolph St.
# Chicago, 431 N. Orleans St.
# Chicago, 3939 W. Ogden Ave.
# Chicago, 2053 N. Clybourn Ave.
# Chicago, 1301 W. Madison St.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 4:36 AM
tilted & shifted

Piano's addition to the Art Institute

Taken today:

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 9:57 PM

You know, I was hoping today for an update on the AIC expansion. Thanks, Hydrogen... fantastic shot.

I don't know if anyone caught this, but the penultimate 2007 issue of the Economist featured an article about the state of low-cost housing in the U.S. and used none other than Chicago as an example of the changing nature of the "debate" surrounding it, citing, specifically, Highland Park as a community with the right idea.

I remember a year or so back Pioneer Press putting out an article about how HP has led the way in the north and northwestern suburbs in this area. Having grown up there while much this went underway, I can attest firsthand to this fact. For all the derision incurred by the North Shore -- not all of it unwarranted, mind you -- it really is an exemplary community with a strong dedication to the public good.

As an original streetcar suburb, the city was planned favorably to a denser/more urban lifestyle: the downtown is a vibrant place that supplies more than retail and good restaurants, and it's contiguous with Highwood which, as far as suburbs go, is super dense (6,552.1 per sq mi, 2,530 per km²) and highly urbanized (almost everything is within walking distance). Between the two cities (Highwood is an enclave within Highland Park), there are five Metra stops (six during Ravinia season).

Under the plans, Highland Park has increased high-density united in and around the downtown area. (There's been a general upswing in condo and townhouse development over the past 5+ years, actually.)

Anyway, it's worth a read.

http://www.economist.com/world/na/di...ry_id=10259069

Quote:
Dec 6th 2007 | LAKE FOREST
From The Economist print edition
The debate over affordable housing in America's suburbs

CHICAGO'S northern suburbs are among America's most idyllic. None is grander than Lake Forest, where the average home costs over $1m. But the suburb, by definition unaffordable, is building something unusual: affordable housing. A new development in Lake Forest will include a few cheaper homes, as required by a new town ordinance.

The debate over low-cost housing has moved well beyond the inner city. America's suburbs have changed. No longer the province of the affluent and the middle-class, they are home to an increasing share of new immigrants and poor (in 2005 the suburban poor outnumbered their urban counterparts). This new reality, combined with a growing distaste for ever-extending sprawl, long commutes, traffic jams and the pollution they bring, is driving efforts to build cheaper housing nearer to jobs in existing suburbs. The subprime mortgage mess has driven the trend, too...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Taken today:
.................how did you take that shot ?? !!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 4:05 AM
TL;DR

He works in Aon Center - hence, amazing photography.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 4:33 PM

Hey this may seem like a ridiculous question but...

How long have the hancock's antennae been at their current height? I had a buddy in from out of town and he says they look taller that they used to. (like recently not back to the 80's or anything) I never really look too much at them but after he said that, i realized how huge they really are.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:45 PM

^^^2002 was the last change.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^^2002 was the last change.
Thanks!!

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:59 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder09.article

Live Nation has eyes on Uptown
REAL ESTATE | Northerly Island promoter seeks to restore theater's glory

January 9, 2008
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist

Live Nation Inc., the concert promoter that manages the outdoor performance stage at Northerly Island, is negotiating with city officials to take over the landmark Uptown Theatre, 4816 N. Broadway.

The 1925 building has been mostly unused for 25 years. But Live Nation is said to be interested in restoring it to its former glory and using its 4,300-seat auditorium for concerts and other events.

Possible hitches -- and there are many -- include a city subsidy for what could be a $40 million restoration..........................

Great news, I am keeping my fingers crossed. The idea that it could be restored after 25 years to hold its original functions is just awesome.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:34 PM

I can't find an internet link to the story, but a developer is suing Mt. Prospect for what they claim is reneging on a deal.
A condo development passed the preliminary planning review. Residents didn't like the plan and voted in two new planning committee members, who voted against the plan at the final review.

The developer is claiming that since they passed the preliminary review, the city broke it's promise by not allowing the project to move forward.

This case seems to have wide reaching implications. If the developer wins the lawsuit, is there even a reason to have a final review then, if you can't vote no?

If I find the link, I'll post it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 12:18 AM
Registered

Finally... some demolition news that won't make everyone's blood boil.

Evergreen Plaza for sale, may be demolished

(Crain’s) — Evergreen Plaza, which was converted to one of the country’s first enclosed malls in the 1960’s, is up for sale, with a redevelopment or outright demolition widely expected.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...01-09&id=27697

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:12 AM

speaking of the hancock, when are they going to put the red stripes back on the antenna? I've always thought that that kind of defined the building, and it looks weird without them.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:12 PM
THAT Guy

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=27693

Investors to buy gourmet grocer, add stores
Jan. 09, 2008
By Moneé Fields-White and Lorene Yue

A group of Chicago-based investors, led by a former president of Jewel-Osco, announced plans Wednesday to buy Streeterville gourmet grocer Fox & Obel and open more stores.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:13 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.suntimes.com/business/734...wrig10.article

Tunney: Lemma hear ya on developer's Wrigley-area idea

January 10, 2008
BY DAVID ROEDER

Residents near Wrigley Field will take their cuts at a new pitch from a developer who wants to build a hotel, apartment and retail complex on Addison Street across from the ballpark.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/734...wrig10.article

Tunney: Lemma hear ya on developer's Wrigley-area idea

January 10, 2008
BY DAVID ROEDER

Residents near Wrigley Field will take their cuts at a new pitch from a developer who wants to build a hotel, apartment and retail complex on Addison Street across from the ballpark.
Any Lakeview residents on the forum? Please get out in support of something resembling density for this parcel...there will be some loud voices of idiocy to drown out in this city of mob rule over development decisions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development