HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 4:20 AM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Caught the tail end of a news story on CTV Winnipeg, something about delays on the stadium due to problems with canopy support installation.
Like I said a few posts back, yes I know it looks awesome....I agree. Now from the construction / engineering side of things....just look at the renderings, I believe as shown the roof system will have many problems. It does not appear to have structural integrity as the way every connects together does not appear to provide sufficient support.

Houston.....I think we have a problem!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
Like I said a few posts back, yes I know it looks awesome....I agree. Now from the construction / engineering side of things....just look at the renderings, I believe as shown the roof system will have many problems. It does not appear to have structural integrity as the way every connects together does not appear to provide sufficient support.

Houston.....I think we have a problem!
Didn't Crestwin design the Stadium?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Bombers have no plans to play at old stadium

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...138204494.html

Don't think so.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:15 PM

Lucky for them this is a leapyear at least there's one extra day to work with.

The preseason game is a bit of a problem. I'm wondering if they're looking at having the Bomber's preseason home game in Atlantic Canada or something like that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:22 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i asked the structural engineer for the project and he said they still believe that they are 10% ahead of schedule....he said that it took threatening personal phone calls from the mayor and premier to one of the main suppliers to keep it on track.

doesnt look like it to me, but he would know...they've been lucky with weather thats for sure.
Like I've always said don't ask a structural engineer about construction schedules. This duffus obviously doesn't really know what's going on. He thought there ahead of schedule.

The people will never question me again.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:24 PM

I have no problem with that. It allows them out east to experience the CFL. In the grand scheme of things 2 weeks off isn't bad. Even if it isn't going to be finished until halfway through the season, this doesn't bother me. I will hopefully have 40 or more years to enjoy this building, what is half a season?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:35 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have no problem with that. It allows them out east to experience the CFL. In the grand scheme of things 2 weeks off isn't bad. Even if it isn't going to be finished until halfway through the season, this doesn't bother me. I will hopefully have 40 or more years to enjoy this building, what is half a season?
9 weeks.

But yes, 2 weeks really isn't that bad.

Canopy installation is tricky business. I really don't blame them having to delay it because these sorts of projects of their size takes time. I guess the classic saying goes "they didn't build Rome in a day" or something like that.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Assuming the stadium is ready to use in early July and that the playing surface takes roughly 2 months to install they have only 3 months left to complete the structure of the stadium, west side canopy, the west side upper seating pre-cast still has to be added as does all the forming and cement work for the seating in the lower bowl.

To say this will be ready on time is pretty optimistic.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 9:13 PM

Latest Photos from Friday Jan 27

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
BANNED

I never liked the idea of having a canopy shielding spectators from the elements. Just by viewing the stadium plans, it looks like the foundation will have trouble withstanding the Manitoba winds. I'm no engineer, but that's just my observation.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
ARTchitecture

I just wish they built the damn thing ANYWHERE even remotely close to downtown. How are these residential streets supposed to handle the traffic of tens of thousands of people coming to watch games?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 2:00 AM
ABOVE people like you

Hey...I have a secret

Having constructed projects of similar value and now having seen the latest photos I can reconfirm and edit my earlier posts. This project is months.....I repeat months behind where it needs to be for a June completion.
This is not a simple box, this project has major complex components still to construct, I have viewed the existing status and prepared my own construction schedule of the remaining scopes of work. I project a end of August / first half of September completion.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I never liked the idea of having a canopy shielding spectators from the elements. Just by viewing the stadium plans, it looks like the foundation will have trouble withstanding the Manitoba winds. I'm no engineer, but that's just my observation.
not a structural engineer myself but what about large winter snow falls, will it be able to support that weight combined with winds, I'm sure it has been worked out but man does that look unstable

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:43 AM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I just wish they built the damn thing ANYWHERE even remotely close to downtown. How are these residential streets supposed to handle the traffic of tens of thousands of people coming to watch games?
Not to mention when I live in the Northern Winnipeg area it's going to take me a long time to get all the way to the extreme southern area of the city. I would much rather they have built it downtown...

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:48 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Didn't Crestwin design the Stadium?
creswin is a developer...the stadium was designed by ray wan...or at least his chinese outsourced firm. Ray wan is a firm of about 6 people....they have enough work to employ a 50 person firm...the real design happened in china.

i agree that it looks nowhere near close to being ready, but construction schedules are usually pretty accurate....if they are off, they are likely not wildly off....either that or they are lying, but i don't see the benefit of doing that...they know by now when it will be complete.

i wouldn't worry about the structural integrity of the roof...the engineers are crosier kilgour...they are the best engineers in this province and that roof aint going anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
ILYR

Well I do not claim to be a construction expert, but as an experiment I went onto the Blue Bomber site and compared photos from August 1st 2011 with the most recent ones.

August 1st 2011: http://www.bluebombers.com/photo_gal...allery/id/3535

January 27th 2012: http://www.bluebombers.com/photo_gal...allery/id/5161

As you can see from the photos they were still working on the foundation and the first pieces of steel had just be put up. Now I know that looking back 6 months does not reflect what will happen in the next six months, but it is quite dramatic how much has actually been done. It is also evident from the pictures posted yesterday that the interior (electrical, plumbing) is well on its way in at least the east stands. One can also argue that the west stands will rise faster than the east as the crews have worked out most of the problems.

Perhaps we have all become a bit jaded with the construction delays of the Hydro building, Airport terminal, and CMHR that the idea of a structure being built roughly on schedule is just not possible.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Remember it was SSP Winnipeg Thread that brought you this first, trumped the Free Press by months.

Delay brings stadium scramble

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...138251604.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:10 PM

IF it is as far behind as they say, I don't understand why they don't consult the fans on this sort of thing. Normally fan consultation would come up with sporadic results, but I can bet that the vast majority of fans would be willing to watch a couple of games in the CanadInns Stadium. It isn't as if we don't like our old home. I for one wouldn't mind watching a couple more at the old site, if it meant seeing a final product. Seeing a half finished stadium would be completely anti-climatic.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:02 PM

Do people have to change their summer plans based on the completion date of the stadium, or something? Why do people get so bent out of shape about things?

Is it just an deep seated, unwavering need to always blame someone about something?

It's done when it's done, hopefully for some games early in July. I don't anticipate cancelling my season tickets or moving out of the province if it isn't until August though.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:04 PM

I personally do not care if it is delayed, or if we have to miss a few games, or if the Bombers have a losing season because of the away games. I will still love them. I do have a problem with them forcing us to sit in a half finished stadium because of their pride though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan