HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chicago's Chinatown is obviously not as large as New York's but I think it offers a better experience in that you aren't stuck buying crap. There is a lot of garbage being pitched in NY like cheap cell phones, cheap scarves, knock off purses, etc that essentially is nonexistent in Chicago. In that way Chicago's Chinatown is a wholesome, buy Chinese goods type of experience. When we moved here from NY my wife was hesitant to visit Chinatown because we didn't want to be bothered to buy fake Louis Vuitton purses but we were happy that that wasn't the case.
Ironically it's the knock off purses and phones that you would be inundated with when walking the streets of Hong Kong...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Saying Chinatown is a failure is like saying Argyle Street or Devon is a failure. Theyre all neighborhoods that are very much already part of the city at large and have been for a long time. While its perhaps not as vibrant as SF's version (due mainly to geographical issues) its still a place where many mom and pop restaurants and retailers are able to carve out livings for themselves, and access to other support networks is readily available for new immigrants.

Also I realize this article is a few years old, but it hit on how its increasingly become a destination for young Chinese
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...oung-americans
Yep, totally agree. And while that article is from 2007, that's pretty much still the scene there. Most of the people there are younger - 20s and 30s. There are many families who eat Dim Sum on weekend mornings (and many young ones too), but go to any places especially in Chinatown Square and it's a bunch of "hip" younger Asians hanging out.

The area may not have outdoor vendors, but it's still vibrant especially in the summer. Panhandlers? I have no idea what people are even talking about - nobody's ever asked me for money and I've never seen someone on the sidewalk asking for change in Chinatown - EVER.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The area may not have outdoor vendors, but it's still vibrant especially in the summer. Panhandlers? I have no idea what people are even talking about - nobody's ever asked me for money and I've never seen someone on the sidewalk asking for change in Chinatown - EVER.
The two times I've taken my car to Chinatown I've had people pound on the window with their firsts demanding money. Never again.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The two times I've taken my car to Chinatown I've had people pound on the window with their firsts demanding money. Never again.
So is this better or worse than wasted bros pounding on car windows on North Clark on a Friday night and throwing up on the curb.

I guess all Im saying is, its not a roped off carnival ride. Its a living pocket in a city of 2.5 million people and any urban issue that exists there also exists everywhere else. If youre skeeved out by Chinatown than Im not sure how you deal with 75% of Chicago's neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
I was in Chinatown at least once a week for about a year until a few months ago and I NEVER had anybody ask me for money. I never saw anybody panhandling.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
I've found the panhandlers hitting up the people walking from the parking/train station pretty hard. On one occasion, the gentleman followed us across the street and asked me:

"Can you help a brother get an egg roll?"

I gave him a few bucks because I found it so amusing!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 7:20 PM

Color me as confused by the Chinatown Panhandling claims as well. I have never been approached by anyone in Chinatown or seen anyone panhandling or harassing other people for money. Did this pounding on car windows thing happen by the Freeway ramps at Cermak? I have seen people begging there, but that is just a freeway offramp thing to me, not a Chinatown thing.

The eggroll incident sounds like we are talking about african american panhandlers here? If so they are probably the people by the freeway I've seen and they are probably coming from Hilliard homes which is that sweet Goldberg-designed set of projects on the other side of the tracks. Again, doesn't seem like a Chinatown problem as much as it is a "bums congregating around freeway ramps and train stations" problem.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 9:51 PM
The City

Get y'alls popcorn, y'all, because if I'm correct tonight is the meeting at Lincoln Park for the revised Children's Memorial proposal.

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Get y'alls popcorn, y'all, because if I'm correct tonight is the meeting at Lincoln Park for the revised Children's Memorial proposal.

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE!!!
False. That meeting was pushed back to January 14th:

http://ward43.org/wp-content/uploads...munity-Mtg.pdf

Last edited by r18tdi; Jan 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 11:44 PM
BANNED

^^ I do like your enthusiasm, TUP

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:01 PM

Not sure if this is a sign of things to come or nothing at all, but these are posted at the east and west end of a sizeable surface lot on Huron between Franklin and Orleans.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:10 PM

That's the lot just near the El tracks and Nacional 27 right?

"DS, Downtown Service District
accommodates commercial and service uses that are essential for the
livelihood of businesses and residents of the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods. "

A site I found says the following:
"The primary purpose of the DS - Downtown Service District is to accommodate commercial and service uses essential to businesses and residents located downtown and the surrounding areas. This district allows for a mixture of small-scale office, commercial services, public uses, transportation services, communication services and industrial uses. "

http://chicagocouncilmatic.org/legislation/1525666

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:08 PM

Fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Not sure if this is a sign of things to come or nothing at all, but these are posted at the east and west end of a sizeable surface lot on Huron between Franklin and Orleans.

I pray that something is being developed on that lot. It is in desperate need of new construction.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:11 PM

Doesn't that new zoning preclude residential use without a PD?

Somebody forget to write a check?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:18 PM

Is that the same parcel that was referenced by someone else a couple of days ago or an additional property?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:51 PM
The City

Looks like Urban Outfitters is moving to the Hunt Club property

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

This is shitty. DS is the type of zoning that killed the Maxwell. It should be opposed and snuffed out whenever it is proposed. It does not allow residential and does allow big box and other garbage retail. I think it also opens the door for drivethroughs and surface parking. It's exactly what we don't want anywhere near downtown. Either Reilly is fucking with someone who didn't support him or he is about to grant permission for someone to build a pile of shit right there. Either way, just more evidence of him being a complete, anti-urban, piece of shit.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 9:11 PM
The City

^ Reality is, service businesses are still needed downtown. When you have a rapidly growing population and sexy skyscrapers going up everywhere, yes you sometimes need a new gas station. I'm not a huge fan, but they are an unfortunate reality of urban life these days

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 11:36 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
^ Reality is, service businesses are still needed downtown. When you have a rapidly growing population and sexy skyscrapers going up everywhere, yes you sometimes need a new gas station. I'm not a huge fan, but they are an unfortunate reality of urban life these days
I think you don't need a new gas station when you're trying to promote pedestrian cityscapes and there are already at least three gas stations within 1/4 mile of there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 11:42 PM

Was at one time supposed to be this I guess:

http://en.phorio.com/300_west_huron,..._united_states

Maybe there will be a nice half vacant cinder block strip mall instead unless whoever owns the land wants to do the appropriate groveling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development