HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:38 AM

I don't think so, since that picture is looking south from 102-ish. According to the Building Permit, the sales centre is for the development across the street on Old Yale, and the sales centre up the hill by Fraser Health building.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
I don't think so, since that picture is looking south from 102-ish. According to the Building Permit, the sales centre is for the development across the street on Old Yale, and the sales centre up the hill by Fraser Health building.
Agreed - the addresses don't match - this is indeed right behind Fraser Health's Yale Road Centre and the "overlooking Holland Park" is a bit misleading. Yes, the Southern and Eastern views will overlook Holland Park but from a block West of the park entrance on Old Yale Road.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 5:17 PM

town line owns the Yale road Fraser health building, Fraser health is just renting it. Townline will probably build their tower on the parking lot to the west of Yale road centre on old Yale road.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:51 PM

According to the numbers provided by BC Assessment, North Surrey condos saw the biggest gains, with a 40 per cent spike from $217,000 to $303,000.

http://www.news1130.com/2018/01/02/p...ssments-condo/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:31 PM

Townline site outlined in red. Project has been around since 2014 based on the application number.

Nice to see they are finally moving forward with sales 4 years later.

Sales centre will be going on the lot to the south with the 17-0585 application number.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:56 AM

^Great news. It makes sense that now is the best possible time for developers sitting on lots to make their move on Surrey's surging condo market. Hopefully Wave phase 2 follows suit as well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Townline site outlined in red. Project has been around since 2014 based on the application number.

Nice to see they are finally moving forward with sales 4 years later.

Sales centre will be going on the lot to the south with the 17-0585 application number.

Was wondering if southbound University Boulevard will be extended through Holland Park to connect to the existing 134th street as well? I remember seeing a master plan some time back where it appeared to be a city vision, but may be an actual future plan? The above map makes such an alignment feasible assuming there'd be no protests like Hawthorne Park.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:10 AM

^Yes the City Centre Plan shows University Dr extended through to 134 - not sure the timeline for it though.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:37 PM

[deleted]

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:37 PM

An application has been submitted for 60 temporary housing units on the site shown below - City of Surrey project in conjunction with BC Housing. Looks like this is to address the 135A St homeless issue.

Good temporary use of those empty lots. Hopefully this alleviates the 135A problem and cleans up those lots at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
An application has been submitted for 60 temporary housing units on the site shown below - City of Surrey project in conjunction with BC Housing. Looks like this is to address the 135A St homeless issue.

Good temporary use of those empty lots. Hopefully this alleviates the 135A problem and cleans up those lots at the same time.

While it is a great use of empty space and helpful in addressing some housing issues I'm concerned with it delaying development in the area.

If I'm a developer its going to be hard to ask the price per square foot I want with housing for homeless across the street/a block away.

With Bosa's new office/retail building done and occupied with shoppers/nesters/TD etc. it was ripe to provide basic amenities for more density directly around Gateway station.

I could be wrong however, and this may not effect development at all!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
While it is a great use of empty space and helpful in addressing some housing issues I'm concerned with it delaying development in the area.

If I'm a developer its going to be hard to ask the price per square foot I want with housing for homeless across the street/a block away.

With Bosa's new office/retail building done and occupied with shoppers/nesters/TD etc. it was ripe to provide basic amenities for more density directly around Gateway station.

I could be wrong however, and this may not effect development at all!

As posted in the Gateway Place thread - the below project by SCDC located across University Drive from this site is currently moving behind the scenes. Don't think it will delay development of the area. That project will be phased however - starting with the 2 westerly most towers - so not the side near the temporary housing.

Wondering if it will be the same kind of container/module housing like those at Terminal and Main.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:

This makes sense. Being close to 135a street. Most of the people won't have far to go. With not having cars or any transportation, this is very close for them to move their personal items.

Last edited by MovieBuff; Jan 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:40 AM

Can't wait to see them trashed. Or filled with drugs and needles. Or them complaining that there's too many rules. Plus the homeless population is never ending with them coming from all across Canada. And some of them want to be homeless, they don't like the rules and structures of living in shelters and these homes. They can drink and do drugs on the street where you can do whatever you want.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Can't wait to see them trashed. Or filled with drugs and needles. Or them complaining that there's too many rules. Plus the homeless population is never ending with them coming from all across Canada. And some of them want to be homeless, they don't like the rules and structures of living in shelters and these homes. They can drink and do drugs on the street where you can do whatever you want.
I feel they enjoy the tent living at times because of the social aspect of it. You can see the comradery at times. Plus like you said there are no rules. Smoking/drugs/drinking inside any time you want. I also believe that there is a small population there that wants to get out of that lifestyle and this project would be good opportunity for them to get back on their feet but the bad apples in the bunch might take residency over the space over them and trash the units away.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:10 AM

It's interesting that you mention the social aspect and comradery. It's one thing that's increasingly lacking in modern condo living. It's hard to interact with neighbours in your building thanks to all the layers of security that's now standard: buzzers, keyfobs, restricted floors, gates, etc. It's ironically a bit like a prison. The only place for chance encounters is while awkwardly waiting for the elevator.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:52 AM

Has this been posted?

Part of the project on the former Surrey Public Market site:

A rendering of the proposed development on the northern portion of the old Surrey Public Market property. (Photo: surrey.ca) https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...tch-in-surrey/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
My big concern is that while this may get the tents off the ground, I don't think it'll do much to actually fix the problems. I know the powers that be are promising to fix it, but I don't want my neighbourhood to transform into another Downtown Eastside any more than it already has.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:16 PM

Not a popular opinion but providing more and more services for the homeless is akin to leaving food for the two raccoons who occasionally run by your house and then acting surprised when sixteen raccoons start visiting your front yard every morning.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 10:09 PM

delete

Last edited by Nites; Jan 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley