HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:17 PM

^ Could not agree more. The road does not suffer from bad traffic, so reducing to one lane or just tighter two lanes to widen sidewalks would be fantastic.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm all for density, but I have a hard time believing Fifield can't make their project profitable at current approved densities. Why not go condo? Condos in that part of town are selling at pretty high prices these days.

In addition, I would love to see a streetscaping plan for Chicago Ave. I know drivers would hate it, but something along the lines of wider sidewalks & a landscaped median would do wonders for the pedestrian experience
That would be amazing. If drivers want an east/west expressway, they can (and do) use Grand. As for the buildings pictured, I was pleased to see that the Chicago/Wood structure (the one that actually exists, not the Fifield project) set its retail back a bit from the sidewalk, giving them space for a sidewalk cafe or something. Hopefully they actually thought about the retail this time and it won't end up as a Ukrainian shipping store, like it did in their project a few blocks west.

Last edited by UKVGuy; Oct 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:34 PM
TL;DR

Remember that Chicago was pitched for BRT back when Daley proposed it. Obviously the demand is much greater on Ashland but a Chicago line would be amazing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I'm all for density, but I have a hard time believing Fifield can't make their project profitable at current approved densities. Why not go condo? Condos in that part of town are selling at pretty high prices these days.

In addition, I would love to see a streetscaping plan for Chicago Ave. I know drivers would hate it, but something along the lines of wider sidewalks & a landscaped median would do wonders for the pedestrian experience
They can't widen the sidewalks on Chicago. It is a class 2 truck route. That means a minimum 48' wide roadbed. 60 ft with a second traffic lane. To reduce it would turn it into North Ave.

Last edited by PKDickman; Oct 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:44 PM

I have a bit of possible good news. 10 months ago it came out that a developer wanted to make a 52 unit development on the corner of Warren and Ashland near Union Park (http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...union-park.php).

Well, yesterday a building permit was issued for it. The great news for this is that it goes in a vacant lot on the SW corner of that intersection. Architect is Jay Keller from Space Architect + Planners (http://www.spacearchplan.com)

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Build...r8-5enu/321783

----

Also a little more density almost right next to the new Halsted Flats building, at 841 W Grace. New 8 residential unit building (John Hanna as the architect).

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 5:05 PM
THAT Guy

More West Loop development

210 South Green
10 story, 60 unit building with 153 parking spaces

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 5:14 PM

^ 210 S Green is also a parking lot currently, so that's good. I like the first few floors there because it looks like an older development. Not sure about the part above it though..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:35 PM

Does anyone know when the pedestrian bridge at 35th st. is slated for destruction/construction? I thought the city and other sources were saying September of this year. Of course...Sept. has come and gone...sigh.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
The City

That's a shitload of parking for 210 S Green. That suggests that they are going condo on that one..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 5:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

From SSC; I think this turned out quite nice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Jones College Prep High School now complete:

New Jones College Prep High School by Zol87, on Flickr

School Opens 2 by FriendsofJones, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:54 AM

[QUOTE=denizen467;6301956]Get ready to be transported seemingly so far away ... right in our own back yard.

South Lake Shore Drive extension opening in next couple of weeks

Speaking of...

http://chicagolakesidedevelopment.com/

As a part of Open House Chicago, I found myself at the old South Works site this morning. There was a tour of the area provided.

View Southeast

View Southeast

Ore Walls

Heading south on the new Lakeshore Drive

Ore Walls from bus

View west down the main slip (2,000' long)

Of the 3 ore walls, the southern most will remain while the other 2 will be demolished.

View looking west (ore wall to the left will be demolished).

Inside the ore wall.

Looking east.

Inside the ore wall.

View north.

View north.

Looking south.

Old building debris.

Slag boulder.

Looking north.

Looking south.

Of years past...

Looking north with South Lakeshore Drive on the right.

Looking south.

Looking southeast towards Indiana.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygosox View Post
Does anyone know when the pedestrian bridge at 35th st. is slated for destruction/construction? I thought the city and other sources were saying September of this year. Of course...Sept. has come and gone...sigh.
I was wondering that myself just last week.

It's supposedly one of the highlights of Chicago's Sustainable Infrastructure plan/agenda (mainly because the rendering of the bridge is better looking than an alleyway of permeable pavers, etc).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:14 PM
Urbane observer

Is US 41 through the Lakeside site actually posted with the name Lake Shore Drive?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
That's a shitload of parking for 210 S Green. That suggests that they are going condo on that one..
Yeah, that is a lot of parking for 60 units. WTF!?!?!?!?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:45 PM
you know where I'll be

South Works Site

Only marginally more likely to get something real and substantive going this decade than the post office 'project'. I think McCaffery should formally change the marketing schtick to an "80" year vision. Remember, for a quick refresher, this is the same McCaffery that hasn't yet been able to open a single restaurant tenant at Roosevelt Collection 28 months after closing its purchase of the property (beyond pathetic, no plausible legitimate excuse for such ineptitude, and hopefully - fingers crossed - they end up losing the ill-conceived and horrifically-designed British School, but I digress)...not exactly the type of competence that would inspre the least amount of confidence in any outside chance of pulling off an enormous, highly opportunistic development investment such as 'Lakeside'....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:22 PM

yea i doubt ill see it in my lifetime. that said i hope when the time comes they retain some of those industrial features and dont demolish the ore wall, etc. its a pretty unique opportunity to keep some of that industrial architecture in place, to serve as a reminder of what once was.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I have a bit of possible good news. 10 months ago it came out that a developer wanted to make a 52 unit development on the corner of Warren and Ashland near Union Park (http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...union-park.php).

Well, yesterday a building permit was issued for it. The great news for this is that it goes in a vacant lot on the SW corner of that intersection. Architect is Jay Keller from Space Architect + Planners (http://www.spacearchplan.com)

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Build...r8-5enu/321783
^ Quoting in case anybody missed it. I think it's actually pretty great news this thing is moving forward and eating up a vacant lot in that area.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:58 PM

GEMS School LSE check-in

Upgraded to iPhone 5S, so now I can zoom and crop these pics better now.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:00 PM
BANNED

"..52 unit development on the corner of Warren and Ashland near Union Park.."

I noticed that work has already begun there! I believe this project takes up two lots, including the lot where that Hardees has been decaying. This, the Madison at Racine and the new practice facility will really change the way tourists and locals see the area as they make their trek to the UC.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Quoting in case anybody missed it. I think it's actually pretty great news this thing is moving forward and eating up a vacant lot in that area.
That is some good news for that area!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development