HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Riverview where Kent is right now isn't much further off wheeler blvd than Walmart Plaza is right now. Assuming Kent closes that store Walmart could open shop there.
Walmart would build a new store in Riverview before they’d open in an existing small building like that. I think they just typically want stores in easy to access locations. A location in Findlay Park would be the most logical spot in Riverview. I can’t think of any Walmarts that have opened in Atlantic Canada in the last 10 years though. Probably the newest location if the former Zellers store in the Lancaster Mall.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 11:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
They no longer do market stores. The supercentres they construct now typically target off major roadways. The company is more focused on growing its existing fleet vs adding more. Riverview is some time away from meeting the standard.
I appreciate what you're saying, and I can understand that Walmart would want to concentrate their efforts on super centres, but I fail to conceive that they have given up on small market formats completely. The store in Sussex for example is a great resource for that town, and, otherwise, town residents would be forced to drive at least 70-80 km to reach existing super centres in Moncton or Saint John.

Now, Riverview is a different beast in that there are two super centres elsewhere in the metro area within a 10-20 minute drive. A special case would have to be made to get Walmart to locate s small market store in Findlay Park. Is this impossible? I don't think so. Improbable - probably, but other competitors (Canadian Tire, Kent) have been convinced to locate in the town.........

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I appreciate what you're saying, and I can understand that Walmart would want to concentrate their efforts on super centres, but I fail to conceive that they have given up on small market formats completely. The store in Sussex for example is a great resource for that town, and, otherwise, town residents would be forced to drive at least 70-80 km to reach existing super centres in Moncton or Saint John.

Now, Riverview is a different beast in that there are two super centres elsewhere in the metro area within a 10-20 minute drive. A special case would have to be made to get Walmart to locate s small market store in Findlay Park. Is this impossible? I don't think so. Improbable - probably, but other competitors (Canadian Tire, Kent) have been convinced to locate in the town.........
Giant Tiger and Superstore are also major competitors for Walmart, and they too are located in the town. I believe we will see more small market stores once the new warehouse opens. I could see a 3rd PEI store, a store on the Acadian peninsula, probably in Tracadie, Oromocto, Quispamsis, Riverview and perhaps eventually Shediac. St. Stephen may also be a potential location. Windsor, Elmsdale and Bedford could be new NS stores.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:40 AM

I'm convinced that if Walmart were to build a store in Findlay Park it would be very successful. If they ever got back to opening market stores, you'd have to think that Riverview would be pretty high on their list. Meanwhile, Findlay Park continues to fill in slowly but surely.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:09 PM

I fully agree that walmart in Riverview would make sense, however the small stores ended when they purchased the zellers stores. Sussex was the last physical store to be built in small communities in Atlantic Canada which was constructed just before Fredericton North. If and when a Riverview store does come, it would mean that something major has changed in the retail scene in the town in terms of a quickly growing retail park that walmart would want to be a part of. Perhaps as the power centre grows Riveview will see a decent supercentre in town

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I fully agree that walmart in Riverview would make sense, however the small stores ended when they purchased the zellers stores. Sussex was the last physical store to be built in small communities in Atlantic Canada which was constructed just before Fredericton North. If and when a Riverview store does come, it would mean that something major has changed in the retail scene in the town in terms of a quickly growing retail park that walmart would want to be a part of. Perhaps as the power centre grows Riveview will see a decent supercentre in town
Well Findlay Park isn't really exploding with new retail, but it is steadily growing. Also there's multiple apartment buildings under construction that are literally within walking distance to F.P. And there's several others being built elsewhere in town. I realize that all of this is on a smaller scale than what happens in larger population centers, but what would it take to move the needle for Walmart to look at Riverview?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Well Findlay Park isn't really exploding with new retail, but it is steadily growing. Also there's multiple apartment buildings under construction that are literally within walking distance to F.P. And there's several others being built elsewhere in town. I realize that all of this is on a smaller scale than what happens in larger population centers, but what would it take to move the needle for Walmart to look at Riverview?
The short answer would be a much more improvement in traffic count and a stronger presence of retail to warrant the traffic count. When you look at just about all Walmarts they hug a highway withing a block or two....there lies Riverviews issue IMO.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 10:56 PM

The tower crane is down now for the Dickey road apartment

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
The tower crane is down now for the Dickey road apartment
On to it's next assignment. Wonder where?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
On to it's next assignment. Wonder where?
Originally it’s was the tannery place south and norths towers crane so my guess would be for it to build the next phase of the junction next spring

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Originally it’s was the tannery place south and norths towers crane so my guess would be for it to build the next phase of the junction next spring
That would be good to see. The Junction Hall might be the next building built on that site.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
The short answer would be a much more improvement in traffic count and a stronger presence of retail to warrant the traffic count. When you look at just about all Walmarts they hug a highway withing a block or two....there lies Riverviews issue IMO.
Traffic count in the area has been increasing over time, and will continue to do so as all these new apartment buildings come on line. The new Kent store will also bring a lot more traffic to the Findlay Park area, but I still don't think it's enough to warrant a Walmart supercenter. If they aren't doing market stores any more, Riverview won't see a Walmart for quite some in my opinion. Even though it would do a very brisk business if they built one.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I would say that it’s not Walmarts that huge highways specially, but major retail areas that do. Like if you look at the location of most Kent’s they are almost always located near a highway, but that is because they’re generally located in retail areas that are built around highways.

Take Charlottetown for example, their Walmart is built in one of the major retail areas of the city and is not really that close to the Charlottetown Bypass, one of the only pseudo Highways that PEI has. Or take the one in Calais Maine, it’s not even on the main road that traffic drives in after crossing the border, but rather a central location to the community that was big enough to build a Walmart on.

In the absence of high visibility highway, big box retailers will build close to other big box retailers. Generally this is close to an arterial or collector road, as would be the case in Riverview. Findlay & Gunningsville are two of the most prominent arterial roads in the town and to be located close to those roads would be the most logical location.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 3:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the agenda for the November Riverview PAC meeting:

1) - A proposal for a 12 unit apartment building on the NE corner of the new roundabout at the Pine Glen/Pinewood intersection.
2) - A proposal for a new subdivision off of Carrington and Cudmore in west Riverview.

At present, no maps or renders are available to include in this post.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From the agenda for the November Riverview PAC meeting:

1) - A proposal for a 12 unit apartment building on the NE corner of the new roundabout at the Pine Glen/Pinewood intersection.
2) - A proposal for a new subdivision off of Carrington and Cudmore in west Riverview.

At present, no maps or renders are available to include in this post.
Renderings were included for the 12-units in the first reading before the town council earlier in the month:

https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=17943

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks. Only two storeys. This will remove a lot of objections that the other apartment building on the SE corner of the same intersection had.

Welcome to the forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorth View Post
Renderings were included for the 12-units in the first reading before the town council earlier in the month:

https://townofriverview-pub.escribem...cumentId=17943
Very appropriate for that lot. Looks like a nice building in the render.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 9:38 PM

I can officially confirm that Riverview will be getting a second Dollarama. It is now updated on the site plan from Crombie REIT. I’ll keep checking back to see if they update it to include the A&W that is apparently under construction in the parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I can officially confirm that Riverview will be getting a second Dollarama. It is now updated on the site plan from Crombie REIT. I’ll keep checking back to see if they update it to include the A&W that is apparently under construction in the parking lot.
How does this Dollarama compare size-wise to their typical store. It looks small to me.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:58 AM

Quote:
How does this Dollarama compare size-wise to their typical store. It looks small to me.
10000 is the average size of a new store. So it’s exactly average.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces