HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Both valid points...I'm just impatient and don't want to wait another 20+ years for things to materialize.
Unfortunately that's how long it will probably take. Although within a couple of years at least WestStone's new 6-storey condo/retail project at the station and the new ice rinks across the street will make a difference.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 6:27 AM

I wonder if the possible stadium for soccer they want to build will be around the same area. I hope it is as that plus the arena would really kick start redevelopment in the whole area.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envder View Post
I wonder if the possible stadium for soccer they want to build will be around the same area. I hope it is as that plus the arena would really kick start redevelopment in the whole area.
I hope a stadium gets built on the mall property by best buy. The corner of 100ave and king George can feature a significant condo tower. Than a large stadium, and than an office tower and residential tower on 101 Avenue.

I have high hopes for this city and would really like to move into this area. I love New Westminster, but the opportunity to grown with a city is unique and inspires me.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:15 PM

Hawthorne Park improvements and road project was authorized to proceed by Council on Monday. Despite all the negative publicity, this will result in a larger, improved Hawthorne Park.

Improvements / Benefits include:
  • Acquiring approximately 5 acres of adjacent properties resulting in a net increase in the park area of 1 acre;
  • Protecting the natural areas adjacent to the Park through the newly acquired park lands;
  • Incorporating approximately 450 additional trees into the Park through the acquired properties
  • Introducing environmental and biodiversity enhancements with a new salmon rearing habitat for Bonaccord Creek.
  • Introducing new entry plazas and improved accessibility
  • Re-locating exiting parking lot and access road from the middle of park to a new location along the edge of 144 St - reclaiming this area for open green space.

Preliminary plan of the proposed 2-lane road and park improvements:

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci..._2017-R223.pdf

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:52 PM

^Thanks for sharing. I really like the space and looks cleaned up. Not sure why there was such a large social justice movement that suggested the park was being bulldozed for a new road when the final outcome will be a better park that is more accessible and livable.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:41 PM

^Yeah the whole social justice, save Hawthorne Park movement is so overblown, and the media keeps fueling the flame.

Hawthorne Park isnt going anywhere. Can't believe they got David Suzuki on board to speak at their protest when the irony is the park's environmental condition, number of trees, greenspace acreage will all improve. Yet the signs and headlines still read "Surrey paves over / plows road through park". The list of mitigation measures being put in place for this projects is endless.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:58 PM

I really like how they're moving the parking lot, people will appreciate the that large open area. It maybe even a good site to host events.

People are threatening to chain themselves to the park, seems a bit silly.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:25 AM

Yeah the people involved in that movement are beginning to look a bit nutty at this point.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:42 AM

I think the Hawthorne Park plan is well-considered and brings a lot of improvements. I understand the opposition's key points, but I also think that they've riled themselves up with their own positive feedback loop of impassioned opposition. I've read so many comments accusing the city of doing this for vague special interests, corruption, and general villainy.

Council was unanimously in favour, right? I'm a bit surprised. Those hearings must have been rough.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:04 AM

They could add 1000 trees but cut one down and....

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 10:20 AM

Retail at Miramar Village, White Rock:

http://form.ca/campaigns/2017/monthl...er_Mailer.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:45 PM

^Down to a couple of tenants still open at hillcrest mall. By the end of the month they will all be gone and hopefully see construction begin

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:41 PM

What's the likelihood of genuine luxury retail and dining establishments opening in White Rock. Given its real estate prices, demographics and the relatively large population base of WR and South Surrey combined, you would think higher-end businesses would be breaking down the door to establish a foothold in the area. Despite that, the area around Miramar still has a very plain-Jane vibe to it, sort of like a 1990s version of Lonsdale. Hopefully the above mentioned development will remedy that to a certain extent and maybe with time, Miramar Village will start feeling more like Kerrisdale Village.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:00 PM

Johnson seems to slowly be changing. Aside from miramer there are 5 projects started or approved. Also the city will be redoing the street soon

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:22 PM

I just wanted to comment on the whole Hawthorne Park controversy as someone whose family has frequented the park many times and while not living directly next to the park, live close enough (5 minute drive, 20 minute walk) and have numerous friends that live right around the park.

My thoughts are that this is going to be really good and that a considerable amount of the nay sayers don't use the park nor live anywhere near the park. I see that even within our circle of friends where 3 of the most vocal of our group live in Clayton Heights and South Surrey respectfully.

The truth is, the park right now is a bit scary from a kids perspective. Firstly, there are a lot of dark corners and the south end is a bit sketchy. Secondly, right along the kids playground is the road leading into the parking lot which always has me a bit nervous with my daughter and other kids that run quite close the multiple times we've gone there for birthday parties.

By putting a road along the south flank you bring a lot of visibility to that portion of the park and they are significantly upgrading the surrounding interface of the park with the community. In addition, by moving the parking lot and replacing the existing with open fields, it will make the park a lot more "free" with respect to allowing little children to run around and play without fear of them getting run over.

Add to that the other major restoration initiatives in the park, additional land increasing (not decreasing) the overall footprint, and the necessity of another east-west travel corridor, and this entire project is a no-brainer.

I will give the original naysayers (those living around the park) props for the fact that they were upset with the FIRST plan which resulted in the city listening and adjusting things including road location with this final plan. But all the "I'll stand in front of the bulldozer" folks left are either not residents of the area or just NIMBYs that likely never really even use the park or have heard of it prior to the media buzz.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanmetro View Post
I hope a stadium gets built on the mall property by best buy. The corner of 100ave and king George can feature a significant condo tower. Than a large stadium, and than an office tower and residential tower on 101 Avenue.

I have high hopes for this city and would really like to move into this area. I love New Westminster, but the opportunity to grown with a city is unique and inspires me.
I thought the same but I did a quick measurement on google earth and that area is only 100 meters by 100 meters. A soccer field is 100 meters in length and 75 meters wide. Then you have to consider the building structure and setbacks. It would be far too small for a field arena.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I thought the same but I did a quick measurement on google earth and that area is only 100 meters by 100 meters. A soccer field is 100 meters in length and 75 meters wide. Then you have to consider the building structure and setbacks. It would be far too small for a field arena.
Yah BC Place stadium for example is 260 m x 210 m roughly. Now it is gigantic from a soccer perspective but even Swangard Stadium in Burnaby is 140 m x 210m.

So you need at least a minimum footprint of about that for a small stadium, and if they want something more akin to BMO Field in Toronto you'd need 160m x 170m.

There are really no plots of land right in Surrey Central to accommodate something that size. Bridgeview is about the only area.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
What's the likelihood of genuine luxury retail and dining establishments opening in White Rock. Given its real estate prices, demographics and the relatively large population base of WR and South Surrey combined, you would think higher-end businesses would be breaking down the door to establish a foothold in the area. Despite that, the area around Miramar still has a very plain-Jane vibe to it, sort of like a 1990s version of Lonsdale. Hopefully the above mentioned development will remedy that to a certain extent and maybe with time, Miramar Village will start feeling more like Kerrisdale Village.
I wondered that too, i could imagine some stores like crate & barrel, pottery barn, williams sonoma cause there are so many houses that could support those kind of shops in the area.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Yah BC Place stadium for example is 260 m x 210 m roughly. Now it is gigantic from a soccer perspective but even Swangard Stadium in Burnaby is 140 m x 210m.

So you need at least a minimum footprint of about that for a small stadium, and if they want something more akin to BMO Field in Toronto you'd need 160m x 170m.

There are really no plots of land right in Surrey Central to accommodate something that size. Bridgeview is about the only area.
If they could utilize the toys-r-us lot and parking they could have a 240m x 275m lot and can have that section of Whalley blvd running beneath like how Expo boulevard runs along BC place. This would leave enough room for 3-4 towers of the Anthem condos as well.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:27 AM

I think removing the bc lions training ground and the soccer field beside it and using that area would be a nice location for a stadium. Its about 160 x 185

Then for an arena use the land area where the drug store is by gateway

Last edited by Envder; Nov 15, 2017 at 6:38 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley