HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
yup glad there is some action going on at Patterson.....I would like to see some street front retail in that area would help to reduce the seedy factor.....it gets pretty odd late late at night I used to live in the area and the park has some interesting hobo inhabitants and plenty of late night "cruisers" also if you know what I mean.....shudders.
"Seedy factor" of Patterson? You must have had a sheltered life.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

Pic (seems rather towers in the park-ish):
http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...IEW_080118.jpg

Trio of highrises proposed for Guildford
By Jennifer Lang - Surrey North Delta Leader - January 18, 2008

A proposal to construct the tallest towers in Guildford is heading to a public hearing at city hall at the end of the month.

Giffels Management Ltd. wants to construct three residential towers ranging from 27 to 35 storeys tall, making them the highest buildings in Guildford. The towers would add 637 new residential units to the area.

The proposal, which passed first and second readings, heads to a public hearing Jan. 28 at 7 p.m. at Surrey City Hall.

The project contains a mix of one- and two-bedroom apartments, as well as some four-bedroom units. The site, owned by Cartier Developments Ltd., includes three parcels of land, at 14970 and 14975 101A Ave., and 10160-149 St.

The applicant is seeking approval to increase density beyond what’s outlined in the Official Community Plan.

“It’s a form of development that I think we’re hoping for in the town centres,” Coun. Bob Bose said.

The project meets the city’s goals of higher-density development in town centres, an approach that’s transforming Whalley, where several towers are planned or have already been constructed.

Bose said Guildford has the same potential.

“There has not been a lot of interest in Guildford, until now,” Bose said. “It’s rather a sleepy hollow up there.”

He predicts that’s about to change. The province plans to extend SkyTrain east along 104 Avenue to Guildford, before turning south and east to Langley. Faster bus options are also promised.

That’s partly why Bose isn’t concerned about the 1,000-plus vehicles the new towers could bring. However, Bose does worry the school district has low-balled its estimate on new students.

The Surrey School District says the development would bring 22 new students to local schools, 16 for Bonarcord Elementary and six for Johnston Heights Secondary.

“I just don’t think this is realistic,” Bose said.

If the project is approved, construction of the 27-storey tower could begin this year, with the 32- and 35-storey towers completed within the next five years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic (seems rather towers in the park-ish):
http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...IEW_080118.jpg

Trio of highrises proposed for Guildford
By Jennifer Lang - Surrey North Delta Leader - January 18, 2008

A proposal to construct the tallest towers in Guildford is heading to a public hearing at city hall at the end of the month.

Giffels Management Ltd. wants to construct three residential towers ranging from 27 to 35 storeys tall, making them the highest buildings in Guildford. The towers would add 637 new residential units to the area.

The proposal, which passed first and second readings, heads to a public hearing Jan. 28 at 7 p.m. at Surrey City Hall.

The project contains a mix of one- and two-bedroom apartments, as well as some four-bedroom units. The site, owned by Cartier Developments Ltd., includes three parcels of land, at 14970 and 14975 101A Ave., and 10160-149 St.

The applicant is seeking approval to increase density beyond what’s outlined in the Official Community Plan.

“It’s a form of development that I think we’re hoping for in the town centres,” Coun. Bob Bose said.

The project meets the city’s goals of higher-density development in town centres, an approach that’s transforming Whalley, where several towers are planned or have already been constructed.

Bose said Guildford has the same potential.

“There has not been a lot of interest in Guildford, until now,” Bose said. “It’s rather a sleepy hollow up there.”

He predicts that’s about to change. The province plans to extend SkyTrain east along 104 Avenue to Guildford, before turning south and east to Langley. Faster bus options are also promised.

That’s partly why Bose isn’t concerned about the 1,000-plus vehicles the new towers could bring. However, Bose does worry the school district has low-balled its estimate on new students.

The Surrey School District says the development would bring 22 new students to local schools, 16 for Bonarcord Elementary and six for Johnston Heights Secondary.

“I just don’t think this is realistic,” Bose said.

If the project is approved, construction of the 27-storey tower could begin this year, with the 32- and 35-storey towers completed within the next five years.
Awesome, should change guildfords skyline a lot.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:53 PM

Pic:
http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...ock_080119.jpg

Developer buys up Downtown properties
By Michael McQuillan - Burnaby NewsLeader - January 18, 2008

The developer who owns the Trapp Block has big plans for Columbia Street.

The Saliant Group, is purchasing the two properties adjacent to the six-storey Trapp Block to build a mixed-use building.

The development would include a 170-foot residential building with commercial space at ground level. The Vancouver developer wants to add another 10 or more storeys to the Trapp Block building while preserving the facade of the structure.

The 139,000 square feet of residential space would accommodate 166 housing units with 8,700 square feet for commercial use.

The project consolidates the Trapp Block, the Windjammer Hotel—both originally built in 1899—and two properties to the west that include the Army and Navy Annex.

The developer’s plan goes before New Westminster city council Monday as a preliminary application. It will require rezoning because the proposed building does not meet the conditions of the neighbourhood’s zoned use. For one, it exceeds the 100-foot height restriction.

But that is not without precedent. The Interurban project was granted a height variance to build to 170 feet.

Saliant is also applying for less setback on the Front Street side, for a 177-space parking garage and a change to the allowable floor space ratio.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Pic:
http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...ock_080119.jpg

Developer buys up Downtown properties
By Michael McQuillan - Burnaby NewsLeader - January 18, 2008

The developer who owns the Trapp Block has big plans for Columbia Street.

The Saliant Group, is purchasing the two properties adjacent to the six-storey Trapp Block to build a mixed-use building.

The development would include a 170-foot residential building with commercial space at ground level. The Vancouver developer wants to add another 10 or more storeys to the Trapp Block building while preserving the facade of the structure.

The 139,000 square feet of residential space would accommodate 166 housing units with 8,700 square feet for commercial use.

The project consolidates the Trapp Block, the Windjammer Hotel—both originally built in 1899—and two properties to the west that include the Army and Navy Annex.

The developer’s plan goes before New Westminster city council Monday as a preliminary application. It will require rezoning because the proposed building does not meet the conditions of the neighbourhood’s zoned use. For one, it exceeds the 100-foot height restriction.

But that is not without precedent. The Interurban project was granted a height variance to build to 170 feet.

Saliant is also applying for less setback on the Front Street side, for a 177-space parking garage and a change to the allowable floor space ratio.
Seems like the long awaited revitalization of downtown NW is finally underway. There are now multiple heritage buildings being restored/converted along Columbia. More than a couple seedy bars/clubs have been forced to either sell or have been torn down already.The Garfield hotel soon will be replaced with a new shelter. Add all this to the Plaza88 development with the overhaul of NW station as well as over 100,000sqft of new retail and commercial space and things are definitely looking up for the royal city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:58 AM

Anyone know what happened to the 15 story tower that was proposed in NW on the other side of Columbia by the former electric building. When I lived out in New West a year ago I remember there were some problems with the developer and the city about a beer and wine store or something, but other wise it was a go. Would love to know whats happening.

This is another project to keep a eye on in NW, the former Labatt site...though not much has happened in a while.http://brewsite.ca

And last of all anyone know of any updates on the Larco development along the NW waterfront(5 towers 911 units and a promenade between the Quay and 6th street along the river). It was proposed and approved in the early 90's and last I heared they applied for some changes from the city about two or three years ago. This would be a huge project that would make the biggest impact on NW and i would love to know if theres anything new.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
And last of all anyone know of any updates on the Larco development along the NW waterfront(5 towers 911 units and a promenade between the Quay and 6th street along the river).
Haven't heard about that one for a while. Could be held up by negotiations for a right-of-way for the North Fraser Perimeter Road which would essentially be an upgrade of the existing truck route (the 10km/h (?) road under the existng parkade). Hopefully they do it right so the roadway is upgraded sufficiently and the space over top provides a nice wide public promenade.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Haven't heard about that one for a while. Could be held up by negotiations for a right-of-way for the North Fraser Perimeter Road which would essentially be an upgrade of the existing truck route (the 10km/h (?) road under the existng parkade). Hopefully they do it right so the roadway is upgraded sufficiently and the space over top provides a nice wide public promenade.
You could be right, though I thought it was approved by the city already and with the railway separating it from Front st it should mean that the impact of the nf perimeter road should be minimal(though i suspect a parkade over the tracks linking with the old parkade which would then require negotiations with cp also). I also think its a bit more costly development being on the river bank, needing a promenade built and connecting it over front st and the railway to the rest of the city. Though if done right then units in those towers could sell for a nice premium i think.
Anyways I hope something happens soon because the extended promenade and more units near Columbia st would mean a huge improvement to New Westminster and I always thought it could be difference between New West being a poor mans suburb and a great city.

Anyways if there is no news i have a feeling we will get some soon with all these developments and the transformation of downtown New West which should only raise the profitability for the developer, not to mention the plans for the road should be finalize soon and i cant see there being a unsolvable problem with cp..(eventually I could see towers and mid rises stretching all the way to Pattulo bridge along the river with a new promenade all the way to Saperton park, it would be like the sea wall in Vancouver)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:17 AM

Just realized that the InterUrban site sort of backs on to the truck route on the river side. I wonder how that will interface. I think it has an above ground parkade for 5 or so floors facing the river (with condos facing Columbia on those same floors), so that may allow the promenade to butt up against that side of the building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:38 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

MULTI-FAMILY, COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT Proj: 9075760-1
Port Coquitlam, Greater Vancouver RD BC
The Triangle, 856 Nicola Ave & Associated Lands,
$120Million
Note: Currently in a conceptual stage while going through a rezoning process. Design and construction schedules are undetermined at this time. Further update Summer/08.
Project: proposed mixed-use complex. Scope of the work includes 600 multi-family units with 600,000 sq ft of commercial space, including big box retail, restaurants, and office space.
Scope: 1,000,000 square feet; 600 units; 44 acres
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Commercial offices; Restaurants

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:22 PM

Wow, that's huge.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:37 PM

600-units, wow....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 10:54 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think these are the towers someone else mentioned earlier on, both phases are in the plans preparation

Cartier Place Phase 1
14970 101A St
27 Storeys 3 levels u/g parking, 200,426sqft, 300 parking stalls, 221 units.

Cartier Place Phase 2+3
10160 149th St
32Storeys+35Storeys, 383,205sqft, 600 parking stalls, Tower B 183 units, Tower C 233 units.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Seems like the suburbs are getting all the news these days, I might have to start paying more attention. I know this one has been talked about before, here are some more details.

$800Million development for Squamish.
Waterfront LAnding
Low-rise townhouses, 3 towers between 12-20 storeys, for a total of 1500 mutlifamily units, a large sfh subdivision, waterfront promenade, new marina, and retail components. Start /09 with a 15year buildout.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
600-units, wow....
600 units is nothing...

Expect to see upwards of 4500 units in a single development in the near future. The project is currenly in the preliminary design stages, but if approved - would be the largest development and highest towers ever seen in a Vancouver suburb. Cant leak any more info than that right now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:41 PM

^ Are you kidding me??? I don't understand how Coquitlam/Port Moody for many years were such dead zones in terms of skyscrapers and now all of a sudden they are building some of the region's (outside downtown) tallest buildings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^ Are you kidding me??? I don't understand how Coquitlam/Port Moody for many years were such dead zones in terms of skyscrapers and now all of a sudden they are building some of the region's (outside downtown) tallest buildings.
Promises of the Evergreen Line.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:24 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If you're talking about the Riverview development it won't be happening for a number of years yet, especially if they use the northern route.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast604 View Post
600 units is nothing...

Expect to see upwards of 4500 units in a single development in the near future. The project is currenly in the preliminary design stages, but if approved - would be the largest development and highest towers ever seen in a Vancouver suburb. Cant leak any more info than that right now.
Sounds huge... keep us informed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast604 View Post
600 units is nothing...

4500 units....falls off chair.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley