HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
True, it was 105 I was told. But then the people at the shops say the current Ultegra is the 105 of two/three years ago.
Other way around 105 now is the older untegra. Similar to the older Duroace is the new Ultegra. Either way still good but I would go for the Ultegra if you can. I'm running DI 2 now and have a hard time going back to mechanical

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:08 PM
Community Guy

Now that we had these open for about a month or so, what are peoples thoughts? Good, bad, ugly? What is working very well and where are some areas that need improvement. *I will be using portions of these replies in a report to our steering committee and other direct stakeholders. No names will be used unless specifically requested.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:22 PM

We ate at Select on Saturday and was on their patio, I was very surprised to see how many people were using the lanes. Was great to see, I saw a few families out enjoying the weather on their family bike rides.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:03 AM

The bike paths look great but they need more bike racks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:06 PM
Community Guy

We asked for a 2-3 corrals in some strategic places and to increase the number of rings/loops.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:03 PM

Seems to get good use, still some cyclists on the wrong side of the road, but dwindling.

Only issue is top of 103 St hill, where to go straight you need to be in line with cars turning left - means few can get through. Right lane is right turn only (dumb) when there's no cycle track to the right.

Otherwise, fine - but why are there lots of planters on some blocks and none on others?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:11 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Now that we had these open for about a month or so, what are peoples thoughts? Good, bad, ugly? What is working very well and where are some areas that need improvement. *I will be using portions of these replies in a report to our steering committee and other direct stakeholders. No names will be used unless specifically requested.
I'm a huge fan, but bias as frequent cyclist. A better person to poll is someone like my wife who likes to ride, but is not confident on city streets. It gives her comfort to ride downtown knowing she will be safe, and gives her confidence too. Where I have benefited from it is when pulling our bike chariot. I feel a lot safer knowing my kids I am towing behind are safe, and I'm not going toe-to-toe with a car, put their lives at risk. We rode down on a hot day a couple weeks ago to splash around at the Leg. My son gave the bike lanes two thumbs up, and I did too. We ended our afternoon getting snacks/drinks at District to celebrate.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:52 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
I ride a short portion almost every day as i work on 107 st right on the outskirts of the network. Good use, some of the rules took some getting used to - eg; hard to turn south on 107 when east bound on 100 ave but really just means waiting for an extra light. i'm sure there will be some tweaks during the next 18 months but overall really good. much easier to jump on my bike during lunch and head further downtown too. agree, more bike racks needed.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:36 PM
Community Guy

twitter.com/dbayeg

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:43 PM

As a walker, the number one thing I like is some of the changes to light cycles. That said, I think it is a great experiment, but one that has to be given a significant amount of time for evaluation before judging if there are any changes needed. Need to give people time to go through a couple season end/start bike sales, for people to change residences as a result of these changes and so forth. Think it will be a different story, on use, in 5 years than it is right now, but would expect to see lanes added, removed or moved.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:16 PM

Light cycles should be fixed for all of downtown, not just at the intersections with new bike lanes. It's still unacceptable that it takes 3 minutes to wait for a 30 sec green light when walking along 104 St.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

104st is being looked at after a few inquiries from residents and us.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Other way around 105 now is the older untegra. Similar to the older Duroace is the new Ultegra. Either way still good but I would go for the Ultegra if you can. I'm running DI 2 now and have a hard time going back to mechanical
Right, I meant Tiagra, my bad!! Still getting used to all the skinny tire knowledge lol.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I love the new bike lanes. Very practical and easy to understand what to do. Aside from 100% making me feel more safe, they give downtown a more sexy appeal.

My only concern I can bring up is the lane down 103rd Street, 103 ave to Jasper. The 'unusable' space that is created between cyclist and vehicle is the largest of all the areas I believe. There is way too much dead space there. Would be great if the Cyclist lane can be pushed closer to vehicle lane, and the sidewalks extended. Bodega, XO, etc can then all have decent sized patios.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:31 AM

Was going through the COE bicycle bylaws found here
https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...54833BD72EE048

Key points some may not realize:
You are required to have
A bell or horn.
A bicycle brake.
When cycling at night a white headlamp, a red tail lamp and a red rear reflector.
If under the age of 18, a helmet.

There is also a requirement to leave city parks by closing time, seems a bit of a weird rule like are you not allowed to bike through the parks after hours?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:16 AM
HVAC guru

Well the Katz Group has certainly made an impression on the cycling community

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/unbelieva...town-1.3514421

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:08 AM

I hear Daryl personally did this because he wanted a new bike...ha

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
Right, I meant Tiagra, my bad!! Still getting used to all the skinny tire knowledge lol.
If you do go skinny, switch the tires out from 23mm to 25mm. Smooths the ride out.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:00 PM
Community Guy

It's (bike) party time!

July 24, 2017

Ready, set, let’s roll with the official launch of the Downtown Bike Network! We’re throwing a party to celebrate the opening of the protected bike lanes, and the collaborative work that the community and City of Edmonton have accomplished together. It’s your bike party, and everyone’s invited! The event, called Cycle in the City, will feature children’s games, tours, and five “pit stops” located along the network.

Date: August 26, 2017
Time: 10 a.m.- 3 p.m., opening ceremony at 11 a.m.
Location: Pit stops located throughout downtown. Opening ceremony at the Legislature Grounds.

Program: The Five Pitstops

Main Stage
(Federal Building Plaza, 9820-107 Street)
Kick off at the Legislature Grounds (Federal Building Plaza) with the opening ceremony at 11 a.m.. Here, you can rent a bike, grab a bite at a food truck, and much more. This is also your starting point for the themed bike tours.

Education Avenue
(102 Avenue between 107-108 Street)
Learn how to roll through the Network! Our Bike Education Street Team will be on hand to step you through all the new features on the network, giving you the confidence to ride it on your bike. Edmonton Transit Service will also be on hand to demonstrate how to ‘rack’ your bike on buses.

Go Green with Blatchford and MacEwan University
(SW corner of 105 Street and 105 Avenue)
Enjoy the sweet (sustainable) life with bike games, music, local food and more.

Urban Commuter Zone
(The Armature, 96 Street between Jasper Avenue and 103 Avenue)
Make bike shorts cool again while you do free HIIT (High Intensity Interval training) classes, try on some commuter gear, and see some amazing local performances.

Family Fun Zone
(Downtown Edmonton Community League, 10042-103 Street)
Bike decorating, music, games, and more for the whole family!

But wait...there’s more!
Take the scenic route on one of the free or low-cost bike tours featuring Downtown art, architecture and food.
Salivate over the food trucks at each of the pitstops.
No pedals? No problem! We’re celebrating how the new Network will benefit cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike. We’ll also have bike rentals available.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/CycleintheCity
edmonton.ca/BikeDowntown

Media contacts:

Lesley Vaage
Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
780-495-0651

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:02 PM
Community Guy

Good bike update meeting this AM.

Project on time/on budget! A reminder that signalling was the majority of the budget which helps drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

More education material, social media and street-teams rolling out as we get closer to back to school.

Number of bike trips up 100% since bike lane opening! 2500-4800! *contact Olga if you want to know more.

Canada Day had the highest usage at 5500.

105 Avenue portion to be opened by late August.

https://www.edmonton.ca

There will be 5 activation/pitstop zones:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla.../festival.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton