HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 8:25 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
The social, cultural nature of LA/socal is interesting, including the way that ppl have lived in it through the decades & the type of devlpt that has been aimed at them. Among cities throughout the US & world, LA in general can be described as sui generis, its own animal.
Its own animal indeed, which is why I don't compare it to other cities, though many people do, and many seem to wish that LA resembled other cities.

Don't get me wrong, I think LA could stand many improvements.

To quote Zenmaster Shunryu Suzuki: "Each of you is perfect the way you are... and you can use a little improvement.”

That can be applied to cities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
This place is right around the corner from where I live. Spectrum news did a really good review on Gasolina a few years back so my wife wanted to check it out. They have expanded and moved to this location just a couple of blocks from the original one. At the time I believe it was only opened until 2pm, and mostly served breakfast type of food. It was okay IMO, but my wife liked it more than me and she would often pick up an order to go. I just thought it was a little over priced for what you get, but that seems to be the case for most trendy places in Woodland Hills.

Although I will say the bread and butter platter looks delicious, for some odd reason I also looked at the butter and thought of molded cheese, but still I would love to try this as I a sucker for bread, thankfully I have more self control as I’ve gotten older and rarely eat bread. Nice photos as usual, thanks for sharing.
Thanks!

I didn't realize it started out as a breakfast/lunch/brunch place. We thought the food was good; yeah, it's kind of pricey but we thought the tasty food and good service was worth it. The staff are all nice. Hehe we were talking about how they should open a location in South Pasadena so we wouldn't have to drive so "far."

I rarely look at Yelp reviews because I like forming my own opinion (and I never make any Yelp reviews), but looking this place up yesterday on Yelp, I saw that most people like the place; a common complaint is the fact that they automatically add 20% gratuity to your bill. I actually don't mind that, it saves the trouble of having to figure out the tip.

That bread and nori butter was indeed good; maybe you could try eating there again some time, if not for a full meal, maybe for a midday snack or something.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 9:54 PM
Project manger

I've often made of people who think that some how taking pictures of food is important to share with everyone... Most people find those types of images ridiculous and pretentious and a sign of someone who THINKS they are more interesting then they really are. The photos of the buildings how ever are excellent. After all this is a construction form.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
I've often made of people who think that some how taking pictures of food is important to share with everyone... Most people find those types of images ridiculous and pretentious and a sign of someone who THINKS they are more interesting then they really are. The photos of the buildings how ever are excellent. After all this is a construction form.
The My City Photos section is also an examination and celebration of urban life, of which restaurants and dining out are an important part of.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:17 PM

I don't know how you go around the city/region so much. I rarely leave the area between Downtown LA and Hollywood (plus Glendale and Burbank). I have to have a real reason to venture to the Valley, West Side, South Bay, etc. Traffic definitely discourages crosstown travel for me.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Thanks for the comments. Apparently, food pics trigger some people? And how is it pretentious to show a picture of my tacos or whatever else I was eating?

This thread has become a photo diary of sorts for me, so, instead of just taking pictures of buildings, I like taking pictures of things that remind me of being out and about on a given day... and things that to me convey experiences. And that includes food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The My City Photos section is also an examination and celebration of urban life, of which restaurants and dining out are an important part of.
That's how I interpreted "My City Photos." Again, I didn't wanna just take pictures of buildings, but also people, crowds, traffic, billboards, street art, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I don't know how you go around the city/region so much. I rarely leave the area between Downtown LA and Hollywood (plus Glendale and Burbank). I have to have a real reason to venture to the Valley, West Side, South Bay, etc. Traffic definitely discourages crosstown travel for me.
We only do it on weekends---and this recent Friday we decided to skip going to work. Traffic also seems lighter on Fridays anyway, too. We're always willing to drive anywhere for good food. We're rarely in the Valley, except for particular restaurants we like, two of which are in Sherman Oaks. It's been a long time since we've been to Woodland Hills, but we really wanted to check out Gasolina. It's funny because Burbank is closer than Sherman Oaks to us, but we hardly ever go into Burbank (we don't really care for it, I must say). We're in Glendale fairly regularly, usually to eat. The South Bay too. We'd get really stir-crazy if we only stayed in the immediate South Pas/Pasadena area.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Granted I don’t go like I used to, a kid will take that energy away. But when I didn’t have a child I didn’t let that stop me from enjoying all the fun things to do in and around this metro. Also I’m a native Angeleno and it’s just something a lot of us deal with, it’s just a part of life living here.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Granted I don’t go like I used to, a kid will take that energy away. But when I didn’t have a child I didn’t let that stop me from enjoying all the fun things to do in and around this metro. Also I’m a native Angeleno and it’s just something a lot of us deal with, it’s just a part of life living here.
Yeah, exactly. Ever since I was a kid, my parents and me and my sis would often drive around the metro. We lived in LA until I was 7 when we moved to Cerritos---hehe which in the late 1970s was still a cow town. My parents still preferred shopping in LA. The family dentist was in LA too, as well as our doctors (we went to the Kaiser on Sunset). Traffic MAY have been lighter then, but by the 1980s, I remember traffic being pretty bad. When I was growing up, my parents had friends in Woodland Hills and Canoga Park, West Covina and Walnut, Diamond Bar, and we still visited our friends who lived on the same block as us in LA... so we'd be visiting them. It didn't even faze us about the distance, that's just what we did in LA.

I know that in smaller cities/metros, driving more than a half hour is considered a long drive. My friend from Schenectady said that it was considered a big deal if you had to drive more than 15-20 miles.

Me, when I turned 16 and got my drivers license, I made SURE to get out of Cerritos and explore other areas of LA County often---to the point that I didn't need a Thomas Guide anymore. I know LA like the back of my hand. Even friends I've made as an adult have asked me things like "How did you know there was an onramp HERE??"

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:04 AM

Sopas,

I love your threads which are a mix of people watching, city views and just as as important: FOOD!

Though as a recently new resident of Burbank I’m saddened you don’t care for it! Haha. Just kidding. I’m sure you’d find something to check out cool here too.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enro View Post
Sopas,

I love your threads which are a mix of people watching, city views and just as as important: FOOD!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enro View Post
Though as a recently new resident of Burbank I’m saddened you don’t care for it! Haha. Just kidding. I’m sure you’d find something to check out cool here too.
Well, maybe I spoke too soon... we really don't go into Burbank anymore. Though years ago, after clubbing, if the wait wasn't too long, you could find us at Bob's Big Boy on Riverside Drive eating drunk food---it was either there or Ordoñez in Montebello which used to be open 24 hours. And we've been to the Castaway a few times.

If I find a restaurant in Burbank that might look interesting, then maybe we'll be going there often. Looking at Google Maps right now, I've already seen a few that I might wanna check out.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:21 AM

I don’t visit Burbank too often either, I much prefer Glendale but the wife likes Burbank so we go sometimes, she also like Universal City Walk and I hate that place. Don’t get me wrong Burbank seems like a nice place to live, but to hang out it feels too Hollywood corporate and the same generic places to eat as anywhere USA. Yet I haven’t been to Castaways and would love to dine there one day, I’ve seen the photos and the views are beautiful.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
This thread has become a photo diary of sorts for me, so, instead of just taking pictures of buildings, I like taking pictures of things that remind me of being out and about on a given day... and things that to me convey experiences. And that includes food.

That's how I interpreted "My City Photos." Again, I didn't wanna just take pictures of buildings, but also people, crowds, traffic, billboards, street art, etc.
Since I always like seeing the pics you take of places that give me a better idea of what they're like...of bldgs, houses, streets (& which I can never get enough of---chrisla has been good too).....I appreciate your explaining why you include images of food.

In the city compilations pg on dtla, I try to post only specific, non personal info related to dt...& don't like writing just brief comments which most ppl prefer doing (example: Millions of comments posted under vids of youtube)....& various forumers make a stink about that. So I'm not surprised that lots of online forums can easily end up becoming like the jerry springer show.

Quote:
Ever since I was a kid, my parents and me and my sis would often drive around the metro. We lived in LA until I was 7 when we moved to Cerritos---hehe which in the late 1970s was still a cow town. My parents still preferred shopping in LA. The family dentist was in LA too, as well as our doctors (we went to the Kaiser on Sunset). Traffic MAY have been lighter then, but by the 1980s, I remember traffic being pretty bad.
I posted a vid about travel patterns in LA & a news update about culver city in the transportation pg, & I mention that I always wonder how ppl in socal choose to live & get around the region. That question really kicks in when I'm on a clogged street or fwy...& at that moment I admit I'm as guilty as others are of adding to the traffic. I have a relative who lived in a part of LA...around redondo bch....who several yrs ago moved way up to the northern SF valley, even though his job was closer to where he originally lived. When I spoke with him about his move, he didn't give it as much thought as I assumed he would. Then again, I've heard of ppl who actually like long commutes...they say it gives them time to to listen to music or think about life, etc.. All the ppl of urban America similar to that, however, always make me go....

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I don’t visit Burbank too often either, I much prefer Glendale but the wife likes Burbank so we go sometimes, she also like Universal City Walk and I hate that place. Don’t get me wrong Burbank seems like a nice place to live, but to hang out it feels too Hollywood corporate and the same generic places to eat as anywhere USA. Yet I haven’t been to Castaways and would love to dine there one day, I’ve seen the photos and the views are beautiful.
Burbank does seem like a nice place to live, and the area around the Castaways seems like a very desirable place to live (and the views from that place are indeed nice). I guess because I've long associated Burbank with the film and TV industry, you would think it would have a little more... I don't know... pizazz? It's funny because years ago, a coworker of mine said that he saw the musician Beck (of whom I'm a fan) at the AMC theaters in Burbank, which surprised me, because I couldn't imagine a guy like Beck going to see a movie in Burbank. Beck lived in Silver Lake at the time, I think, so I thought 'Well, I guess Burbank isn't TOO far from Silver Lake, if you want to go to a mainstream chain multiplex.'

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Since I always like seeing the pics you take of places that give me a better idea of what they're like...of bldgs, houses, streets (& which I can never get enough of---chrisla has been good too).....I appreciate your explaining why you include images of food.

In the city compilations pg on dtla, I try to post only specific, non personal info related to dt...& don't like writing just brief comments which most ppl prefer doing (example: Millions of comments posted under vids of youtube)....& various forumers make a stink about that. So I'm not surprised that lots of online forums can easily end up becoming like the jerry springer show.

I posted a vid about travel patterns in LA & a news update about culver city in the transportation pg, & I mention that I always wonder how ppl in socal choose to live & get around the region. That question really kicks in when I'm on a clogged street or fwy...& at that moment I admit I'm as guilty as others are of adding to the traffic. I have a relative who lived in a part of LA...around redondo bch....who several yrs ago moved way up to the northern SF valley, even though his job was closer to where he originally lived. When I spoke with him about his move, he didn't give it as much thought as I assumed he would. Then again, I've heard of ppl who actually like long commutes...they say it gives them time to to listen to music or think about life, etc.. All the ppl of urban America similar to that, however, always make me go....
For me anyway, I wouldn't like a long commute, but I do appreciate my drive home from work (which is about 25 minutes, all on surface streets), because yeah, it does give me time to decompress/unwind, listen to music or news... it's like a moment of solace and being alone, immediately after a work day. Even when I've taken the bus to/from work (which takes about an hour one way and 2 different buses), even though you have to deal with being with other people immediately around you, there's still those moments when you can just think, or meditate, or stare out the window and think of nothing at all. Decompression time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; May 18, 2023 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 5:02 AM

I was very saddened to hear about Tina Turner's death today, Wednesday, 5.24.2023.

So I just had to go to her star on the Walk of Fame.

Video Link

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

And then some random pics taken today, and last week.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Two 1980s German cars in one shot.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Music business, movie business, or monkey business?

Photo by me

Photo by me

This looks like a gigantic asparagus stalk.

Photo by me

These next photos I took on Sunday, 5.21.2023. My partner and I were technically in Orange County but hey, it's still part of the Los Angeles metro area. We went to Westminster's Little Saigon.

We thought we'd do a bánh mì crawl but after we each had 2 of them we felt totally stuffed. Those food vloggers on Youtube seemingly going from restaurant to restaurant eating all kinds of food are obviously bullshitting, haha!

Our first place.

Photo by me

Photo by me

My first bánh mì. Pretty good.

Photo by me

Our second place, in the same strip mall.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

My second bánh mì. This was also pretty good. But after this one, I felt totally stuffed. So we stopped eating. And I had an iced Vietnamese coffee with each one, so afterwards, I totally was up all night.

Photo by me

We decided to walk off our sandwiches by walking around the Asia Garden Mall.

Photo by me

We've seen people getting their fortunes told here in past visits to this place, but nobody was doing that this time we were here.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; May 25, 2023 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I was very saddened to hear about Tina Turner's death today, Wednesday, 5.24.2023.

So I just had to go to her star on the Walk of Fame.

Video Link

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 2:50 AM

Random photos I took over the past 4 days, 5.26-29.2023, over the Memorial Day weekend.

Photo by me

Photo by me

We had Malaysian Ipoh food. We've had Malaysian food many times before, but this was our first time having Ipoh cuisine.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I thought this Ipoh white coffee was better than Vietnamese coffee. But don't get me wrong, I like Vietnamese coffee too.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

If I remember to, maybe I'll take a picture of this in a year to see how far the construction will have progressed.

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:28 AM

A very small blurb of random photos, taken within the last several days.

I'm seeing more and more of these Toyota bZ4X-es. I don't know if I like the way they look...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Quesadilla.

Photo by me

Photo by me

This guy seemed happy for me to take a picture of him in his MG. After I took the picture, I gave him the thumbs up, and he waved.

Photo by me

Dinnertime.

Fish and leek dumplings.

Photo by me

Mapo tofu.

Photo by me

Cucumbers.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:12 AM

More little blurbs, taken within the last few days.

It's Pride month after all.

Photo by me

I think I'll try this place one of these days. At least it's not yet another Nashville hot chicken place.

Photo by me

Having beers to celebrate Pat Robertson's death. Homophobic hatemongering ass.

Photo by me

I ordered chicken tenders. My partner said "Do you really wanna take a picture of those? They look burnt." I said "Ah, what the hell." They tasted better than they looked.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Anchovy and eggplant pizza. YUM.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:00 AM

Photos taken Sunday, 6.18.2023. Spent the afternoon riding the Metro and checking out the three new underground downtown stations that opened to the public on Friday, and eating Jamaican food in Little Tokyo.

New signs at the South Pasadena station. The L/Gold Line is no more.

Photo by me

I can now go straight to Long Beach from South Pas on a one-seat ride.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

LA's Metro A Line is now currently the longest light rail line in the world, at 49.5 miles (79.7 km).

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Coconut rum punch.

Photo by me

Curry chicken.

Photo by me

Chicken patties. We had asked for beef patties but they ran out of them, so we got chicken. These were still very good.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I wanted to make it a point to ride the reconfigured E Line, too.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jun 19, 2023 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 5:29 AM
A Man In Dandism

^ Great tour! The new stations are looking fantastic!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos