HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:34 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
At this point I think all of the suburbanites who'd rather have the Sixers in South Philly should start their own forum called big building boners for suburbanites.
Sounds good and a sub-forum could be urbanites who rarely leave their expensive trendy neighborhood and won't go to the basketball games but still want it just because.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
What Congestion?

This is what Market St looks like between 8-9 from Sunday to Thursday, DEAD.

Also why wouldn't the Sixers either deploy their own cleaning crews or work with CCD to beef up the current operations? you guys are acting like you don't know how development works.

When a large development happens most of the time all groups in the area come together to work together pooling resources together to make the effort better.
I fully support the arena at Market East. But let's not pretend traffic won't be impacted. For those who don't take the train, most of the traffic will emanate from 676 into Chinatown and Chinatown is already very congested (aside: I HATE using car traffic as a crutch in urban neighborhoods, which is a sign of healthy, economically vibrant streets. Crowded streets and sidewalks are a good thing!). In any case, Market Street won't absorb much car traffic on game days.

But again, that's something that can be resolved. What if every ticket came with a scannable train ticket code? SEPTA can adjust train schedules and work with the Sixers on some sort of revenue sharing. Or maybe the Sixers build a garage off Vine Street, offering ticket holders discounted parking (this as a means to keep cars from driving through Chinatown). There's tons of creative ideas out there that can help mitigate Chinatown's concerns. They just need to get their heads out of their ass and start talking instead of just saying no.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
But again, that's something that can be resolved. What if every ticket came with a scannable train ticket code? SEPTA can adjust train schedules and work with the Sixers on some sort of revenue sharing. Or maybe the Sixers build a garage off Vine Street, offering ticket holders discounted parking (this as a means to keep cars from driving through Chinatown). There's tons of creative ideas out there that can help mitigate Chinatown's concerns. They just need to get their heads out of their ass and start talking instead of just saying no.
All great ideas.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:50 PM

I think the proposed project near Front and Girard is about to commence soon. I was in Fishtown yesterday evening and stopped by the former 7-Eleven site to grab a sports drink. When I stepped in the store, not only were most of the shelves empty, but everything else in the store was being sold as buy one, get one. Hopefully the current business is preparing to vacate the building!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I think the proposed project near Front and Girard is about to commence soon. I was in Fishtown yesterday evening and stopped by the former 7-Eleven site to grab a sports drink. When I stepped in the store, not only were most of the shelves empty, but everything else in the store was being sold as buy one, get one. Hopefully the current business is preparing to vacate the building!
I talked to the older South Asian man working there last week after the Post Haste tasting pop-up and he confirmed the building has been sold and will be redeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
I talked to the older South Asian man working there last week after the Post Haste tasting pop-up and he confirmed the building has been sold and will be redeveloped.
I think this is the project...
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ilding-planned

Great project if executed as planned.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
That's awesome. I walked by last week and the old 711 it was looking so bad with a lot of addicts hanging out there and in front of the now shuttered Deals dollar store. I wonder if that Deals dollar store is salvageable at all. It was once the Jumbo Theater and was quite beautiful. These spots and the lot next to Frankford hall are probably the most underdeveloped spots in Fishtown.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:40 PM

The Dollar Tree was supposed to be a live music venue, but NIMBYs shut it down, so instead they got a stupid Dollar Tree which died. I would have loved to see venue there as I'm sure the bones of that building are great, based on its history.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
That's awesome. I walked by last week and the old 711 it was looking so bad with a lot of addicts hanging out there and in front of the now shuttered Deals dollar store. I wonder if that Deals dollar store is salvageable at all. It was once the Jumbo Theater and was quite beautiful. These spots and the lot next to Frankford hall are probably the most underdeveloped spots in Fishtown.

That conversion should have been illegal.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
The Dollar Tree was supposed to be a live music venue, but NIMBYs shut it down, so instead they got a stupid Dollar Tree which died. I would have loved to see venue there as I'm sure the bones of that building are great, based on its history.
this is incorrect nimby's never got a chance one way or another a better location was chosen. this building was butchered well before Deals. I miss the thrift stores that used to be there though

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 8:14 PM

Just walked down Walnut. Looks like Faherty is about to open day now - better late than never. It’ll really add some life to that corner.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:12 AM

I just want to say, on the subject of the Arena, Im all for a Center city arena, but this one concerns me. I do think it has potential to revitalize the area, to bring foot traffic one or two nights a week.
BUT there are too many things that can go wrong as well, the stadium could have negative effects on Jefferson station (More columns, less light, reduced openness etc) It could infact hurt chinatown a lot, look at DC,
I think there to much that can go wrong, we need protections, we need assurances from them that Jefferson station wont be impacted, that they have ways to handle the crowds, and that protections are in place to help Chinatown, maybe something like prioritizing development on parking lots, and protections for local business's and residents?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 8:09 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Just walked down Walnut. Looks like Faherty is about to open day now - better late than never. It’ll really add some life to that corner.
Is Aritzia still opening? Anything else planned?

I know Equinox (at The Laurel) is expected to open in the summer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
I just want to say, on the subject of the Arena, Im all for a Center city arena, but this one concerns me. I do think it has potential to revitalize the area, to bring foot traffic one or two nights a week.
BUT there are too many things that can go wrong as well, the stadium could have negative effects on Jefferson station (More columns, less light, reduced openness etc) It could infact hurt chinatown a lot, look at DC,
I think there to much that can go wrong, we need protections, we need assurances from them that Jefferson station wont be impacted, that they have ways to handle the crowds, and that protections are in place to help Chinatown, maybe something like prioritizing development on parking lots, and protections for local business's and residents?
Count me among those who would generally like a center city arena who is starting to sour on this. I do not like the idea of ruining market east station. I don't like another covered road. Space seems too small to have enough street facing retail. And even though I disagree with some of their points, the resounding no from Chinatown is getting overwhelming. Rather than spend more time and money on this, might be time to move to plan C.

Speaking of plan C, I think enough time has passed for me to just say this without getting anyone in trouble. When plans for market East were first made public I was pretty shocked because a friend with inside information had just recently told me that things seemed to be quickly moving forward at another center city site. That site? Hahnemann Hospital.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:35 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Lets be clear on the exact plan for Jefferson Station, and Filbert St

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:23 AM

Does anyone understand what they mean by "not an underpass, open, interior space?"

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:41 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Does anyone understand what they mean by "not an underpass, open, interior space?"
To me that means open only to the adjacent interior space. In other words no underpass, because there will be no street there at all.

Whether the 76Place tweeted rebuttal is a crock of shit is left as an exercise for the reader.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
It could infact hurt chinatown a lot, look at DC,
Chinatown in DC and Chinatown in Philly have almost nothing in common. It was well documented that by the time the arena came to DC, most of DC's Chinese community has already decamped to the Northern Virginia suburbs and that almost all of the remaining Chinese people in the neighborhood were elderly in one or two subsidized low income projects.

Not comparable.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:51 PM

without details I would take the Jefferson station claims with grain of salt- they say it will remain "mostly" as is. What does that mean? They dont deny the stuff she said about cutting down on the natural light and lowering the ceiling to the station. I think its pretty clear this site is smaller than many similar sites for urban arenas so they will have to make some compromises to make this work. Also, I dont think people understand that NRG station is specially built to accommodate more trains and passengers than any other station in the subway system- it was made to handle football sized crowds. While is is true that there is plenty of transit nearby, these are standard stations (maybe except Jefferson) that were not specifically designed to handle 10k fans leaving an arena in a short time span. In addition, the only thing worse than leaving a congested grade level parking lot after a big event is leaving a multistory garage after such and event. Sixers have touted all the garage spaces within X number of blocks, but discharging all those cars from multi story garages to narrow center city streets is NOT the same as thousands of cars leaving huge parking lots in South Philly and leaving via the very wide arterials around the stadium complex. I dont like that so much of this seems like the Sixers insulting people's intelligence. This not easy, this is not pain free, this is not going to be a win-win for everyone. Period.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 2:57 PM

^If mass transit is more convenient than driving/parking, people will take mass transit. If driving/parking is more convenient than mass transit, people will drive.

This site is extremely convenient for mass transit. More people using mass transit makes mass transit safer which makes more people use mass transit, which means fewer cars and improved QOL.

Urbanism 101.

Also, how many people attended the flower show? This area can handle crowds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development