HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:11 PM

Oh the memories!! Thanks friends of the parking lot!!

Now no Bears and no museum.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...GwRwZkPoPREEd8

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post

A colossal mistake to let Friends of the Parking Lot kill this project. A billion dollar investment and all Chicago would have lost was a surface parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Hopefully some of that funding is going toward Assemble Chicago unless its funding is already secured, which I doubt.

if this was in the west loop, we'd say TOO MUCH ORANGE

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
It was part of a city-run competition as part of C40 2020. The 2019 design winner didn't have their PD approved until Nov 2021 so it's possible the pipeline is just backed up because of COVID. I sure hope it's still in the works.

Here's the last word from the city's website that I'm aware of:
They're still working on financing- long and short (from what I've heard) is that the city chose this as the winning design but didn't inform the CHA that they expected rental assistance on the property. Basically breakdown of communication between the CHA and the City Dept of Housing. It's a priority and will likely see movement in the next 6-9 months during upcoming LIHTC allocations by the city and state.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:23 PM

Big Deahl

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Big Deahl
The architecture probably won't win any awards, but this will be a nice boost for that area.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

Chicago: the land of small-minded, xenophobic pedants, who think a futuristic museum with a $1 billion endowment was worse than an asphalt parking lot. Brauva!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:56 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
They're still working on financing- long and short (from what I've heard) is that the city chose this as the winning design but didn't inform the CHA that they expected rental assistance on the property. Basically breakdown of communication between the CHA and the City Dept of Housing. It's a priority and will likely see movement in the next 6-9 months during upcoming LIHTC allocations by the city and state.
Thanks for the info. That’s great news in my opinion. Glad to see that it’s still moving forward however slowly. Hopefully it’s right on time to further boost a revival of the loop.

Build this, save the Century and Consumers buildings, dedicate a UNESCO world heritage site (if that process ever finishes), convert a few older office buildings to residential, rebuild the State and Lake station, finally start 410 S Wabash and 525 S Wabash, rebuild the old CME building and forget the Lucas museum was ever proposed here… I’ll be happy.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:22 PM

deleted

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Chicago: the land of small-minded, xenophobic pedants, who think a futuristic museum with a $1 billion endowment was worse than an asphalt parking lot. Brauva!
I'm in agreement with the principle that Friends of the Parks was promoting, but I have a sense they were using it for rhetorical cover for some other motive (someone with a vendetta against Lucas?).

As for the museum itself, I'm not shedding any tears. Are we sure it wasn't just a place for Lucas to stash all his film-related assets tax-free? I'm suspicious of all these "non-profit" centers the rich like to build. Like Larry Ellison's museum in Newport, RI, that he opens to the public one (yes -- 1) day out of the year, all while not paying taxes on the land.

And the proposed building was ugly and was ego-driven in form -- you're going to build on the famously open lakefront and make the museum the shape of a tall mountain? All under the flimsy pretense of that look-out at the top? Nah.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:

werent bears fans (outside of the FOTP) the ones complaining the loudest about this. OUR PRECIOUS TAILGATING

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:38 PM

Interesting observation I made walking into Fulton Market this morning - The brick wall on the East side of the Guinness building is mostly back up again. Obviously someone made a mistake and they had to rebuild that wall.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:14 PM

armitage & western

sept 22nd

to be clear the blank wall shown here is the lot line up against another future building

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:15 PM

Thought this was an interesting read (for anyone with a Crain's sub):

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...est-slow-start

Quote:
Invest South/West program remains mostly a vision, without a single project under construction after three years
The mayor's signature economic development initiative has promised unprecedented public funds for blighted corridors. But without a project under construction after three years, it has yet to prove it's the cure for disinvestment.

... None of the city-spurred projects in the Invest South/West corridors has put shovels in the ground, well behind the goal set more than two years ago by the city's planning head to have the first few buildings fully financed and under construction within 18 months. The slow pace raises big questions about Invest South/West's effectiveness and ability to generate the broader, long-term ripple effects that Lightfoot hopes for.

Some developers and neighborhood residents also worry any projects that actually get built will only add to the list of developments that rely on public funding for life support while failing to reverse depopulation trends that have driven away a long list of national retailers. Whole Foods' April announcement that it would close its Englewood store—even as the city commits millions of dollars to an Invest South/West site on the same block—illustrated the persistence of long-standing problems plaguing the neighborhoods Lightfoot hopes to revitalize.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:42 PM

^ Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, Samir Mayekar, seemed to have been pretty ticked off by the article and has been tweeting all day about all the projects the administration has accomplished. It's kinda funny to watch, but also interesting to see all the projects under construction at the moment: https://twitter.com/chicagosamir

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I'm in agreement with the principle that Friends of the Parks was promoting, but I have a sense they were using it for rhetorical cover for some other motive (someone with a vendetta against Lucas?).

As for the museum itself, I'm not shedding any tears. Are we sure it wasn't just a place for Lucas to stash all his film-related assets tax-free? I'm suspicious of all these "non-profit" centers the rich like to build. Like Larry Ellison's museum in Newport, RI, that he opens to the public one (yes -- 1) day out of the year, all while not paying taxes on the land.

And the proposed building was ugly and was ego-driven in form -- you're going to build on the famously open lakefront and make the museum the shape of a tall mountain? All under the flimsy pretense of that look-out at the top? Nah.
I appreciate you proving my point

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:10 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

sept 22nd

to be clear the blank wall shown here is the lot line up against another future building
So much better than that abandoned drive-thru bank branch. This will continue to energize that stretch of Western, which has seen an incredible amount of densification over the last few years, especially a bit south of there between the blue line stop and North Ave. The 606 really helped catalyze the area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:58 AM

Quote:

I was pretty strongly in favor of putting it on the lakefront parking lot at the time, but also wish Lucas had a bit more flexibility once the battle was on. I think the south end of The 78 abutting the river and Ping Tom Park could have been a cool spot for it, for example. Oh well, his billion dollar museum so his decision, I suppose.

Now that he (and likely the Bears) are gone, I strongly favor turning that parking lot into a great lawn, maybe with a hill on the west side to shield it from LSD a bit. Combine that area, Soldier Field, Huntington Bank Pavilion (relocated to the north side of Soldier Field), and perhaps occasionally Lakeside Center as a staging area for most of the city’s big summer events, and free up parks - including Grant Park - for residents and visitors.

Then Grant Park is freed up to transform: remove or narrow some of the roads, turn some of the empty fields into landscaped park, and make plans to eventually build over the railroad tracks.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^ Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, Samir Mayekar, seemed to have been pretty ticked off by the article and has been tweeting all day about all the projects the administration has accomplished. It's kinda funny to watch, but also interesting to see all the projects under construction at the moment: https://twitter.com/chicagosamir
is the crain's article factually incorrect? I really dont know.

the current mayor it seems has no problem lashing out at the individuals/publications/entities that present even the slightest critique of chicago even though they are mostly supporting of her administration.

in terms of what the economic dev guy was posting, I do know that some of those projects were kicked off under the last mayor, but I guess with fuzzy political logic you can claim them as your own successes.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:58 PM

Fucking. Yuck.

New Cold Storage Facility That Would Replace McKinley Park Building Would Be ‘Another Blank Wall On Ashland,’ Neighbors Say

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/09...neighbors-say/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development