HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 10:49 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
They're just particularly easy to cheat. All you have to do is reach over and wave in front of the handicap gate and walk in. I've seen people do it in addition to walking in as a whole group.
Thank you everyone. You know I gotta bring the good content to the forum. Stay tuned for more I still have to hit up all of the projects on Girard & that includes the 2nd St Mega project as well.

Also I remember when I went Christmas shopping 2020, and when I go to purchase a ticket at the 8th & Market stop the handicap “turnstyle” was just open, I could have easily walked through without paying, however because I like to keep my karma good I bought a ticket & paid at the correct turnstyle & hopped on.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 1:51 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Thank you everyone. You know I gotta bring the good content to the forum. Stay tuned for more I still have to hit up all of the projects on Girard & that includes the 2nd St Mega project as well.

Also I remember when I went Christmas shopping 2020, and when I go to purchase a ticket at the 8th & Market stop the handicap “turnstyle” was just open, I could have easily walked through without paying, however because I like to keep my karma good I bought a ticket & paid at the correct turnstyle & hopped on.

My man! keeping it honest...and good deeds creates positive karma while bad ones creates negative karma....

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
More info...

Spring Garden’s makeover project has raised enough money to begin a trail-to-trail redesign

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20220804.html

A group of people who have advocated for more than a decade to turn Philadelphia’s Spring Garden Street into a 2.1-mile “green boulevard” gathered Thursday to celebrate having pieced together $31 million to begin the environmental and traffic safety project.

When it’s finished, they say, the “Spring Garden Street Connector” will link popular trails on the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers and feature parking-protected bicycle lanes, trees, easier access to SEPTA rail stations and bus stops, a new stormwater management system, and safety improvements at 22 intersections to make the corridor more walkable.

Design of the project could take up to two years, said Mike Carroll, the city deputy managing director in charge of the Office of Transportation, Infrastructure and Sustainability. In addition to protected bike lanes, Spring Garden Street will get updated traffic signals and pedestrian bump-outs at intersections, an example of a complete street, safe for drivers and all other users.

Unlike the contentious Washington Avenue repaving and safety project, the Spring Garden project does not include a so-called road diet, or reduction in the number of lanes, Carroll said.
Living in NL at the time, I was so excited when this was announced in 2013, Spring Garden was an embarrassment, only slightly better since then. Cautiously optimistic about this, at least Kenyatta can't block it after all the heavy lifting is done, right???

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 12:28 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Living in NL at the time, I was so excited when this was announced in 2013, Spring Garden was an embarrassment, only slightly better since then. Cautiously optimistic about this, at least Kenyatta can't block it after all the heavy lifting is done, right???
The 2nd Council District doesn't go anywhere near Spring Garden St. It's Clarke (5th) and Squilla (1st).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 2:51 PM
Chris

Random question.

Does Philadelphia still do "open streets" or something similar in the summer?

NYC has "summer streets" along Park Avenue in August, it was so much fun yesterday walking / biking on Park Ave with no cars (until 1pm anyway). https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/summer...vent-map.shtml

Would be awesome if Broad or Market were closed to vehicles each Saturday in August.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Random question.

NYC has "summer streets" along Park Avenue in August, it was so much fun yesterday walking / biking on Park Ave with no cars (until 1pm anyway). https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/summer...vent-map.shtml

Would be awesome if Broad or Market were closed to vehicles each Saturday in August.
If we do, I haven’t seen it yet. I’ve always thought Samson should be car free during the weekends. From what I hear they did that during the pandemic. Makes no sense to have cars on Samson

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Random question.

Wtf that's a great question. I think the last one was 2019 with Broad St (I think), and I know was popular. Did we all forget after COVID? Maybe we should reach out about bringing this back next year (ideally more than one day also)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Wtf that's a great question. I think the last one was 2019 with Broad St (I think), and I know was popular. Did we all forget after COVID? Maybe we should reach out about bringing this back next year (ideally more than one day also)
Several were done before COVID- no idea why they didnt revive it this summer. They actually closed long stretches of major avenues, including Broad street as you said. It doesn't appear this administration can do more than 1 or 2 things at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
If we do, I haven’t seen it yet. I’ve always thought Samson should be car free during the weekends. From what I hear they did that during the pandemic. Makes no sense to have cars on Samson
I agree. Sansom Street between 12th and 22nd Streets, Juniper Street between City Hall and South Street, and 13th Street between Chestnut and Locust Streets should all be closed to cars during the weekends. Passyunk Avenue between Washington Avenue (alternatively, Federal Street) and Broad Street would be another good candidate for weekend closures. Additionally, MLK Drive should be permanently closed to cars.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 1:44 PM

You guys can always attend the countless weekend festivals that close the main streets of neighborhoods all around the city all summer.

Personally, if an Open Streets program returned, I would much rather it be in the fall or spring when the temps are more bearable and there aren't a half dozen competing events happening at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Passyunk Avenue between Washington Avenue (alternatively, Federal Street) and Broad Street would be another good candidate for weekend closures. Additionally, MLK Drive should be permanently closed to cars.
IMO, Broad to Dickenson makes the most sense and could be actually achievable. Pushing to close the street in front of Acme to above Pat's and Geno's will go no where and generate a lot of push back.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
You guys can always attend the countless weekend festivals that close the main streets of neighborhoods all around the city all summer.

Personally, if an Open Streets program returned, I would much rather it be in the fall or spring when the temps are more bearable and there aren't a half dozen competing events happening at the same time.

IMO, Broad to Dickenson makes the most sense and could be actually achievable. Pushing to close the street in front of Acme to above Pat's and Geno's will go no where and generate a lot of push back.
Yeah one-off closures for events and stuff definitely happen. Pride weekend, the festival on Broad St earlier in the summer, etc. but I just don’t see why Samson needs cars ever. Just make it pedestrian only all the time.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Yeah one-off closures for events and stuff definitely happen. Pride weekend, the festival on Broad St earlier in the summer, etc. but I just don’t see why Samson needs cars ever. Just make it pedestrian only all the time.
No, I hear ya. Sansom certainly is a big candidate in my mind too. Problem is the dumpsters and lack of additional alleyways to store waste. It's not unsolvable imo and would be a worthwhile investment.

I was just responding to more the one-off open street type events as mentioned above. I'm a fan of those too, but I just wanted to point out there are opportunities to walk around all the time i.e. the second street festival this past weekend.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
13th Street between Chestnut and Locust Streets should all be closed to cars during the weekends.
Chestnut to Walnut should be closed permanently. Would love to hear Safran, Turney, and Schulson's opinions on this. They could maybe make it happen.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Chestnut to Walnut should be closed permanently. Would love to hear Safran, Turney, and Schulson's opinions on this. They could maybe make it happen.
Juniper should be closed to cars its entire length in Center City.

I've been saying for awhile that if the 23 was to ever succeed as a trolley in CC, it would only be able to do so if 11th and 12th between Arch and Locust were made pedestrian/trolley only.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:59 PM

Not sure if this was linked to or not:

Developers closing on on two Walnut Street properties in Center City

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...roperties.html

Quote:
Two Walnut Street properties that are essentially next door to each other on the western edge of Center City are tied up by active builders of multifamily projects.

Dranoff Properties has put under agreement 2201 Walnut St., which is currently a Sunoco gas station, and Trammell Crow Co. has 2301 Walnut St., which is a single-story building occupied by Rite Aid, in its crosshairs, according to multiple sources.

That developers have zeroed in on the two parcels highlights how otherwise underutilized properties are being snapped up for new multifamily buildings and other projects. While surface parking lots have been the most common sites developed, single-story buildings such as the former Wendy's at 11th and Walnut streets, and parking garages such as one that had been at 12th and Sansom streets, have also been purchased by developers.

The two Walnut Street properties also continue a westward shift of development activity in Center City that began a decade ago, steadily closing the gap between the business district and Rittenhouse Square and University City across the Schuylkill River.

The Rite Aid pharmacy at 2301 Walnut closed its doors at the end of July. The property has been owned by an entity affiliated with Patriot Parking Inc. since 1995, according to Philadelphia property records. The site totals 20,245 square feet, which is roughly a half acre. The parcel is zoned CMX-4, which allows for dense mixed-use development.

Trammell Crow Co. has the property locked up, according to various sources. Andrew Mele, managing director with the development company, declined to comment specifically on 2301 Walnut.

Trammell Crow is among the most active developers across the country. In the Philadelphia region it has focused on building industrial and multifamily properties and has a renewed push to do more apartment projects.

"We're taking a very hard look at properties in Philadelphia," Mele said. "We delivered Matson Mill in Conshohocken and we're building on that success."

A representative from Patriot Parking didn't respond to a request for comment.

The gas station and convenience store at 2201 Walnut totals 25,184 square feet and is owned by an entity affiliated with 7-Eleven. It is zone CMX-4. The site is in proximity to other Dranoff Properties developments including One Riverside. A representative from Dranoff Properties couldn't be reached for comment.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:56 PM

^^Yes. We posted it in the Highrise development thread since both of these projects will be highrises. This thread is for lowrise/general development that does not meet the highrise criteria of 12+ floors.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:57 PM

Just a Little $3.5 Billion Vision for Rapidly Growing PhilaPort

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...wing-philaport

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:05 PM

Chestnut Check-in: A Development Explosion on the University City Edge

4519-45 Chestnut Street current progress:

Project rendering:

4415 Chestnut Street current progress:

Project rendering:

4301 Chestnut Street current progress:

Project rendering:

4240 Chestnut Street current progress:

Project rendering:

4233 Chestnut Street COMPLETED:

4141 Chestnut Street current site:

Project rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...sity-city-edge

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:08 PM

Something New on the Horizon for Former Equal Justice Center Lot?

Current site:

Northwest portion of the site:

Quote:
The surface parking lot at 800-30 Vine St. is one that has had high hopes for a while, including back in 2017 when the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority issued an RFP for a socially conscious development of the site. This was a first for the city, as they asked for proposals to describe the social impact on the community and city. The winning proposal from Pennrose, an affordable housing developer, planned for a mixed-use program centered around the Equal Justice Center, which would have brought together a number of city legal services under one roof (with parking and proximity to transit, to boot). Sadly, this never came to fruition and the site currently sits as a surface parking lot just like it did five years ago.

We recently came across some information, however, that makes us think that there could be some movement here in the near future. After the Philadelphia Business Journal reported that Pennrose still had plans for the site last year, we had very little idea of what to expect.

So color us surprised when we saw a note from the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation that indicates the affordable senior housing component may be kicking off soon. Though no specific plans have been presented as of yet, it seems that a 51-unit, five-story building may be on the table. Permits have yet to be pulled, but look for this building to rise on the northwest portion of this nearly full block site.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ice-center-lot

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:10 PM

A $31 Million Investment for the Spring Garden Street Greenway

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...treet-greenway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development