HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
43 Green in Bronzeville has begun construction.
That's great news.

With the 33 unit at 920 E. 43rd St and 48 unit at 4137-4159 S. Cottage Grove already under construction, it'll be a good bump in density. Also, noticed another 6 of the townhouses at 4444 S. Drexel (https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/44...home/177572455) are under construction behind the 6 that are just wrapping up construction fronting Drexel.

Hopefully, the Legacy District at 47th and Vincennes gets underway soon too

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:06 AM

Quote:
43 Green in Bronzeville has begun construction.
That's great news!
It's across the street from The Forum. I just played a benefit concert at the location to help raise funds for The Forum's renovations. Both of these projects will drastically inject energy into this historic corridor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction permit was issued for 2807 S Halsted St in Bridgeport for a new 30 unit + retail building. The site is currently a vacant lot and has been for at least 14 years. Generic looking building, but a nice potential uptick in density there at least.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28...!4d-87.6460599

Wait. The developer/owner listed on the permit is named Jackie Chan?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 11:35 PM

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/...rdable-housing

South Side church looks to develop hub for Black life

Rev. Byron Brazier, pastor of the Apostolic Church of God, and his son, J. Byron Brazier, have laid out a $600 million plan for the Woodlawn neighborhood.

By Cheyanne M. Daniels Updated Jan 10, 2022, 4:42pm CST

Quote:
Spanning eight acres of church-owned property near 63rd Street and Dorchester Avenue, the plan includes a technology center, a hotel, commercial business spaces, a theater and private residential buildings.

Also included is a vertical farm at Kenwood Avenue and 63rd Street, built atop a parking structure.

Quote:
If the zoning is changed, as Brazier hopes, the development could have up to 870 units, ranging in size from studios up to three bedrooms. Current zoning allows buildings up to 15 stories; Brazier wants the site rezoned to allow a building of up to 25 stories. That building would have a rooftop pool with views of the lake, he said.

Quote:
Though the definition of “affordable” rent varies, the Woodlawn Affordable Housing Initiative states a development with 100 units should have 15 available at $543 a month and another 15 units at $942 a month.

Brazier said the development is intended to attract higher-earning tenants, too.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 11:53 PM

It would be great if that parking lot become a large plaza for events. It would be framed nicely by all the development around it. The church parking could be decked and maybe connected by a skywalk.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 PM

FYI a decent sized new construction project was just permitted and broke ground today (drove by and saw the excavator taking it's first bites) at 3001 W Cermak.

The building will be six apartments on top of two retail spaces with a 9 car garage in back.

Thought this forum would find that interesting given the conversation about new construction in places like Tri Taylor that we were having. I'm excited about it because this is one of the few missing teeth between Kedzie and Rockwell on Cermak. It's a corner too so just thatich better, hopefully it's not ass ugly.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/...rdable-housing

South Side church looks to develop hub for Black life

Rev. Byron Brazier, pastor of the Apostolic Church of God, and his son, J. Byron Brazier, have laid out a $600 million plan for the Woodlawn neighborhood
If it was anyone other then these guys I would wish them good luck.

Build a bunker of a church, lobby for the removal of the adjacent L, purchase and sit on property for decades, then try to cash in after private capital starts flowing in with some bogus wish list? Someone else please.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
FYI a decent sized new construction project was just permitted and broke ground today (drove by and saw the excavator taking it's first bites) at 3001 W Cermak.

The building will be six apartments on top of two retail spaces with a 9 car garage in back.

Thought this forum would find that interesting given the conversation about new construction in places like Tri Taylor that we were having. I'm excited about it because this is one of the few missing teeth between Kedzie and Rockwell on Cermak. It's a corner too so just thatich better, hopefully it's not ass ugly.
thats great to hear, although not too optimistic on the design front after a quick glance at the architect's portfolio

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:21 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
If it was anyone other then these guys I would wish them good luck.

Build a bunker of a church, lobby for the removal of the adjacent L, purchase and sit on property for decades, then try to cash in after private capital starts flowing in with some bogus wish list? Someone else please.

Yup. The Braziers are real POS's. The city had to forfeit hundreds of millions of dollars back to the feds for the demolition of brand new elevated track. An absolute and utter waste. That leg of the Green Line would have been the perfect transit connection for the Obama Library and the expanding UC campus south of the Midway.

So stupid and short sighted.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Can anyone tell me why that Mcdonalds on Chicago ave hasn't been bought and demolished? that location is probably the biggest crime magnet shithole mcdonalds in chicago and its a waste of space on prime real estate, a fucking drive thru right next to the entrance of a subway stop. One chicago is right across the street, a skyscraper should be there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:25 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why that Mcdonalds on Chicago ave hasn't been bought and demolished? that location is probably the biggest crime magnet shithole mcdonalds in chicago and its a waste of space on prime real estate, a fucking drive thru right next to the entrance of a subway stop. One chicago is right across the street, a skyscraper should be there.
I believe that's a corporate-owned store, not a franchisee (I may be incorrect, though). I suspect McD's will sit on that until they get a ridiculously high offer for the land. But you're right, that particular one is absolute garbage.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
I especially love their little "park" that no one can use.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I believe that's a corporate-owned store, not a franchisee (I may be incorrect, though). I suspect McD's will sit on that until they get a ridiculously high offer for the land. But you're right, that particular one is absolute garbage.
we seem to have this conversation frequently on this forum.

franchise or not, McD's owns all land under all locations.

watch The Founder for an explanation of their business. McDs is more of a REIT than a restaurant chain.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 10:52 PM

New 5 story building with 59 units and ground floor retail to start construction this year at Sheridan & Sunnyside in Uptown. This will replace at least in part a 1 story strip mall and its parking lot. Just a few blocks from the Wilson stop.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/m...ak-ground-2022

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 12:03 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New 5 story building with 59 units and ground floor retail to start construction this year at Sheridan & Sunnyside in Uptown. This will replace at least in part a 1 story strip mall and its parking lot. Just a few blocks from the Wilson stop.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/m...ak-ground-2022
Looks like a quality project.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:11 AM
1st Ward

Its replacing part of a strip mall, so it easily gets my approval!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:15 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Its replacing part of a strip mall, so it easily gets my approval!
Everytime a strip mall dies, baby Jesus smiles!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:49 AM

Big Deahl

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:43 PM
The City

^ Now that’s a big deal....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 3:01 PM

43rd & Calumet (Bronzeville)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development