HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 7:22 PM

My Fourth of July video from 1 World Observatory, back in 2015, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWaKLxionhE as compared to my 2019 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBBmpNNClo&t=471s, but I know more has changed.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Taken last week...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:15 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:13 PM

Reupload video I took from 2012 from the 69th street pier in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, by NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttVCnWfyoE

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 2:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:05 PM

Why?

I have never understood the logic behind the memorial, tribute lights emanating from the top of a garage, 6 blocks south of Ground Zero.

Why couldn't this temporary installation be on a flatbed parked alongside
of the Trade Center site? After all, the lights are meant to represent the Twin Towers.

If anyone has the answer, please let me know.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
I have never understood the logic behind the memorial, tribute lights emanating from the top of a garage, 6 blocks south of Ground Zero.

of the Trade Center site? After all, the lights are meant to represent the Twin Towers.

It's independent of the memorial, and isn't meant to replace the memorial itself.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:25 PM

No one has ever thought that the lights were meant to "replace" the memorial.
They clearly represent the the two towers.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 7:23 PM

This is my latest video from this morning, BY NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQv3_rE1dms

Last edited by QUEENSNYMAN; Sep 19, 2021 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:42 PM
BANNED

I long ago stopped complaining about the unfinished "spire" and now that it's been around a bit, it no longer bothers me. The travesty of this building is the hideous base and the terrible nighttime lighting. I worked in the area for a little over a year and never once were there not at least 20 or 30 panels not working. The above photo shows a stripe of malfunctioning panels on the south facade. Time to call it quits. Turn that shit off--they will never work. Maybe shine colored lights from the outside until the building is renovated in 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:25 PM

My latest video from last night, by NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBSWRaMDwQ

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 9:29 PM

My latest video from Brooklyn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KECd2BC0hpY

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:30 PM
New Yorker for life

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...emands-5m-suit

Man Hit By Snow Falling Off Freedom Tower Demands $5M: Suit
A Staten Island man says he was injured by a piece of icy snow that fell from the 1,776-foot-tall Freedom Tower, court records show.

By Kathleen Culliton
Sep 28, 2021

Quote:
A chunk of icy snow fell off the Freedom Tower and hit a Staten Island man who's now suing the Durst Organization for five million bucks, court records show.

Robert Gelormino filed suit Tuesday against the managers of One World Trade Center for allegedly failing to properly de-snow the 1,776-foot-tall tower, the complaint states.

Gelormino claims he suffered serious injuries on Dec. 20, 2019, when he was struck by a piece of "ice/snow" that slipped off the tower, according to the suit.

I wonder if there’s a chance to sue Durst for that theft of spire.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:59 PM

The slightly covered up antenna is okay but the bare metal spiral rings at the base of the antenna look horrible from afar.

Apparently Durst bet against the building and even tried to slow down site construction while this tower was still under construction. But then heswooped in and has a near 20 year lease on the site.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar...h=4c62d7bf4dad

And as others have mentioned the LED lighting on the base always has at least a few panels not lit, making it pointless to even light the base at all. The windows were cracked and grimy for the longest time and it took years for the window washing equipment at the roof to finally be fixed, probably prompting a lot of companies to move out and look for leases elsewhere. There have been several problems with the elevators and water leakage issues including in the stairwells, which is not good news if something significant happens in the tower.

Everything about the value engineering and lack of care for this building shows the incompetency, cheapness and disgraceful lack of oversight that the Durst organization engaged in. The Port Authority should have take full control of the process, as even though they are bureaucratic, they are far more methodical and attentive than the Durst organization are and at least meet deadlines sooner without cost cutting (again relative, but still far better than these larger than life real state conglomerates that only care about slapping their name on ownership of properties).

I can only hope that some other more attentive company outbids Durst and takes control of the tower, just as Cushman Wakefield were replaced to manage the 16 acre site after it became obvious that their management of the site was subpar
https://therealdeal.com/2021/03/26/p...to-manage-wtc/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:12 PM

No Par of the Antenna Is Covered!

For the sake of accuracy, the two "white" colored sections on the antenna mast are not covered in any manner.

They are the two UHF Master Antennas.

What you are seeing are the actual antenna sections the way they were manufactured

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
For the sake of accuracy, the two "white" colored sections on the antenna mast are not covered in any manner.

They are the two UHF Master Antennas.

What you are seeing are the actual antenna sections the way they were manufactured

Fair enough. I wish that such sections of the master antenna were covering all of the spire instead of just the top, that way it would at least look more like the bulkier antenna on the old 1 World Trade Center north tower. The white colored sections are a slight improvement from when the tower first opened but not good enough IMO. And the satellite dishes around the ring at the base of the antenna do give an appearance of fullness in up close aerial shots, but from afar the rings still look completely bare bones and incomplete.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:10 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:

1) There simply isn't enough space alongside the WTC site. The streets certainly wouldn't be large enough, even if they could all be closed for an installation.

2)The tribute lights memorial started very shortly after the attacks, at the 6-month anniversary. Ground Zero at the time was still Ground Zero, so adding a large memorial, even temporary, so close to active work would have been a non-starter.

3) As time went on, Ground Zero became a construction site, also not really a place to put a large memorial.

4) I always thought it would be cool to put the lights around the fountains themselves; they would at least be to scale (currently the lights don't match the actual tower footprint size), but adding a bunch of floodlights and associated wiring/cabling to a memorial on the actual event's anniversary when people want to pay their respects is a terrible idea.

5) From a distance, the effect works well enough. Maybe not for us skyscraper aficionados who can pinpoint each building in the skyline, but it works.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:10 PM

One WTC as it looks this morning in my latest video from here in Rockaway, BY NYCSKYSCRAPERS2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv2UqbgMaF8

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture