HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

thanks for sharing the Japanese stroads. during my visits to Japan, I was mostly in the heart of the big cities, with a couple of side trips out to the coast (e.g., Enoshima, Kamakura). One thing I rarely see here in North America are overhead pedestrian crossings. They are everywhere in China/Japan/Korea.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
thanks for sharing the Japanese stroads. during my visits to Japan, I was mostly in the heart of the big cities, with a couple of side trips out to the coast (e.g., Enoshima, Kamakura). One thing I rarely see here in North America are overhead pedestrian crossings. They are everywhere in China/Japan/Korea.
It is interesting how different visiting and living somewhere is.

It’s like tourists who visit Vancouver. They see the downtown, maybe the North Shore, and maybe some natural spots, but they generally don’t see Coquitlam, Surrey, Maple Ridge, etc…

I see that a lot with tourists that visit Japan. They tend to miss the lower density urban and suburban areas that are what you see in my daily life pics.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 10:55 AM

Stroads are an epidemic. They exist in literally every city, in whatever portion was built/rebuilt/redeveloped after WWII. North America is just particularly full of them, because so much of our development is newer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It is interesting how different visiting and living somewhere is.

It’s like tourists who visit Vancouver. They see the downtown, maybe the North Shore, and maybe some natural spots, but they generally don’t see Coquitlam, Surrey, Maple Ridge, etc…

I see that a lot with tourists that visit Japan. They tend to miss the lower density urban and suburban areas that are what you see in my daily life pics.
It's interesting to observe that "real life" isn't necessarily Shinjuku, or the Entertainment District of Toronto, nor the City in London, nor the Strip of Las Vegas.

It's the back suburbs of Fukuoka. Toronto's suburbs and satellite cities. The outer boroughs of London, or the vast dreck of suburbia surrounding Las Vegas (try driving city streets into Vegas).

It's cool to see pictures of places of these places from someone who lives in Japan. The less-known Japan.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Overhead pedestrian crossings are everywhere in Mexico, and they are somewhat common in Metro Vancouver. There are several in New Westminster, including two over McBride Blvd and one over Stewardson Way. There's also one over Lougheed Highway in Port Coquitlam, and one over Kingsway across from Metropolis at Metrotown.

The Brentwood Town Centre station on the Millennium Line also has this as a secondary function over Lougheed Highway, and they've even added a direct connection to the new Amazing Brentwood.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jul 26, 2021 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I think it's mostly to keep a buffer around the lines to avoid arcing and inductance. In some cases they might have reserved capacity in the ROW for future capacity.
Back in the early 80s there was actually a plan for a GO rail line that ran alongside the hydro corridor on the north side of Metro Toronto. It never got built.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Back in the early 80s there was actually a plan for a GO rail line that ran alongside the hydro corridor on the north side of Metro Toronto. It never got built.
Is that the corridor that became the 407 or the one next to the 403 in Mississauga, the 401 at Pearson and then between Steeles and Finch?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
MTO actually just revived this idea in their draft Regional Transportation Plan.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Is that the corridor that became the 407 or the one next to the 403 in Mississauga, the 401 at Pearson and then between Steeles and Finch?
I don’t know the full extent of it but the portion through North York was the hydro corridor just north of Finch.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 10:25 AM

Second time poster, long time stroad hater

The extreme over-zoning in most of Canada and the nearly complete lack of zoning in Japan somehow both result in stroads. They're multiplying and taking over the world.

Hello, I discovered this forum a few weeks ago, and started reading older posts at work to try to catch up a bit, but I can't post anything on my computer at work, and then I never got around to it at home...until now.

Last edited by VanCanMan; Jul 27, 2021 at 10:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanMan View Post
The extreme over-zoning in most of Canada and the nearly complete lack of zoning in Japan somehow both result in stroads.
Stroads are a natural response to a growth in activity along a road. First you have a two lane country road that's a well-functioning road, then some businesses move in adding traffic, then more businesses move in, and then the local government does the easiest thing, which is to widen the road along its existing right of way and designate it as a commercial artery.

The alternative: building a bypass road with limited access/egress and putting commercial and residential activities on a separate street, is much more difficult.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:56 PM

Heaven forbid we actually plan our cities out....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Heaven forbid we actually plan our cities for people rather than for vehicles...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Heaven forbid we actually plan our cities for people rather than for vehicles...
Hey, there are people in those vehicles.

Humour aside, I'm in total agreement.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Heaven forbid we actually plan our cities out....
But a lot of these stroads aren’t even built in major cities. They’re in small towns with limited resources - both money and expertise.

It’s kind of hard to justify going through the battle of expropriating private property and then designing and building a second road when you can just upgrade an existing road in a municipally-owned right of way. I don’t like striads, either, but I can understand why they became so commonplace in countries as diverse as Canada and Japan.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:22 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
It’s kind of hard to justify going through the battle of expropriating private property and then designing and building a second road when you can just upgrade an existing road in a municipally-owned right of way. I don’t like striads, either, but I can understand why they became so commonplace in countries as diverse as Canada and Japan.
I'm entirely unfamiliar but are Japanese residential and commercial property zoning and laws similar to Canada/US, at least for the purposes of moving things around for infrastructure builds? I know places like China don't really run into the issue of expropriating private property because, well...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
But a lot of these stroads aren’t even built in major cities. They’re in small towns with limited resources - both money and expertise.

It also becomes a jurisdictional issue as these major roads through smaller communities are often designated as provincial highways, and it's the province's decision to build a bypass.

Dryden, Ont. is a good example of this - Highway 17 goes through the town, is under municipal jurisdiction in the built-up area, and is a classic stroad. It already bypasses the downtown, and at the time I would imagine it was developed, it needed to provide services to motorists such as gas stations and motels due to its distance from other communities along the highway. Building a second bypass for through traffic would have been uneconomical at that time.

Highway 17 in Sturgeon Falls, if my memory serves me, is very similar.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
It also becomes a jurisdictional issue as these major roads through smaller communities are often designated as provincial highways, and it's the province's decision to build a bypass.

Dryden, Ont. is a good example of this - Highway 17 goes through the town, is under municipal jurisdiction in the built-up area, and is a classic stroad. It already bypasses the downtown, and at the time I would imagine it was developed, it needed to provide services to motorists such as gas stations and motels due to its distance from other communities along the highway. Building a second bypass for through traffic would have been uneconomical at that time.

Highway 17 in Sturgeon Falls, if my memory serves me, is very similar.
When Highway 17 was built originally it was really never conceived as a true bypass of these small towns. It avoided the downtown area because the province didn't want the hassle of dealing with existing property owners in the built-up area.

However, there were still properties abutting the corridor, so accesses were reasonably frequent/common. In fact, these little towns may have wanted the highway to pass close to them.

Whereas Highway 17 through much of the Ottawa valley and sections around Sudbury conceived as a bypass only. It moves through traffic.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is an excellent YouTube video about the evils of the Stroad.

Video Link

It does an excellent job of defining the problem, and how it can be solved.

Molson, you'll be pleased to note that even though the video was designed for a global audience, it concentrates on the woes of North America (as apposed to the Netherlands), and that London, ON received special mention on a couple of occasions (referred to as "lousy London").

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 1:01 AM

The main problem with suburbs until recently is they did not build new corridors. They just built around the existing concession roads. This results in huge gaps between parallel corridors, not only requiring higher capacities for those corridors, and also increasing the walking distances to transit and limiting the densities of those neighbourhoods.

You can see this problem especially in North York and York Region in general. North York City Centre is basically one corridor, Yonge Street, because there are few corridors in North York.

You can also see this problem around Port Credit in Mississauga. There is not one single local east-west corridor crossing the Credit River north of Lakeshore Road and south of Dundas Street. Not even one. There is also no proper north-south corridor between Hurontario Street and Southdown Road/Erin Mills Parkway. These lack of corridors is what prevents from Port Credit from ever becoming a true downtown or transit hub, and prevents South Mississauga from ever urbanizing on a large scale.

The key ingredient to building a walkable environment is having corridors closer together, so they do not need to be as high capacity for support higher density development, and so that the walking distances are smaller, especially to transit.

Look at York Region Transit: south of Rutherford Road and 16th Avenue, there only one continuous single east-west transit route, which is Highway 7. There is no other continuous YRT east-west route, not even one. That is not the recipe for getting people out of their cars and reducing the width of road.

Permeability, that is the key to urbanity. Lots of corridors, closer together.

Downtown Toronto has three north-south corridors, Spadina, University, Yonge, but North York City Centre only has one, Yonge. That is the big difference between them, the permeability. Mississauga City Centre has two corridors, Confederation Parkway and Hurontario Street, while Scarborough City Centre has Brimley and McCowan Road. Will two be enough? I don't know but somehow I doubt it.

You can see in Scarborough, they are able to minimize the width of all those north-south roads, because they are close together, there are so many of them! But, unfortunately, all of those corridors were designed to be secondary, so they are mostly residential. The retail and transit is mostly along the east-west corridors. But still, Scarborough a good foundation to work with for the future.

Mississauga tried to build similar foundation with Confederation Parkway, but it has a similar problem of not being a major transit corridor. There is no north-south corridor on the east side of Hurontario to help take some of the pressure off, so even after there is LRT the Hurontario corridor must still maintain high capacity for cars. So overall, Scarborough is in much better position than Mississauga for the future.

You can see a newer suburb like Brampton learning from the mistakes of older suburbs, and also from its own past mistakes, building entirely new corridors Williams Parkway and Sandalwood Parkway, to close the gap between Queen Street and Bovaird Road, and Countryside Drive and Bovaird Road. Compare this to the gap between Steeles Ave and Queen Street, which will never be filled.

These gaps are the number one thing what separates inner cities from the suburbs, and these gaps were created by a strict hierarchy of roads and streets. In essence, suburbanization is defined primarily by a lack of permeability resulting from a strict hierarchy of roads and streets, including the distinction between "roads" and "streets". In the suburb, streets are clearly different from road, but in the inner city, every street is a road, and every road is a street. The city has more roads, but there are also more streets. You prefer streets? Then you need to build more roads, not less. You need to stop the separation of road and streets that started in the post-war era. You need to celebrate "stroads" instead of condemn them.

That is what this thread gets wrong entirely. Yonge Street, Queen Street, Bloor Street, King Street, College Street, Church Street, these are the "stroads". Wonderland Road North in London? That is just a road, it is not a street at all, it is not at all a "stroad", and that is the whole problem with it. Why can Wonderland Road North only be a road, and not also a street in some way? Why can't it be a "stroad"? Because it is the only corridor between Hyde Park Road and Richmond Street. Wonderland Road North has to close a 6km gap all by itself.

That is the entire problem with the suburbs: the lack of throughfares, the lack of roads, which prevents the roads from ever becoming streets. Every road should become a street, and we can never do that unless we start building more and more roads in the suburbs.

Again look at Mississauga south of Dundas Street, probably the worst suburbanization in all of Canada. A very strict distinction between road and street. Very, very few roads. Very few transit corridors, very few opportunities for higher density, very few opportunities to transform roads into "stroads". It's a pure suburban disaster than can never be fixed. You really want this garbage for your city? Really? Think about that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada