HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...fp_mfn2mW32588

Origin Investments announces that Union Phase 2 will break ground within the next 60 days with units expected to be delivered in early 2022. Honestly, I thought this one dropped off the earth but good to see there’s some news about it.
that is great news. now Mckinley Green needs to get built.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
that is great news. now Mckinley Green needs to get built.
We definitely need some ground breakings soon. Getting boring around here lately

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
We definitely need some ground breakings soon. Getting boring around here lately
You said Crested already 3Q and nothing. We were all very excited once the covid scare was subsiding, but every project seems to stalling.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:32 PM
Skyriser

Lumber prices are way down finally, so it's reasonable to expect things to pick back up.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-supply-2021-7

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:44 PM
Modulator

There are some permits moving through the system as well. Moontower has submitted 4 permits in the last week or so, and Sky submitted a permit for hydrant use for dust control (probably for the new construction contractor as Katerra had a water truck onsite). Hoping we will see things start ramping up soon.

I'm also waiting on a couple records request for some more low-rise multi-family developments in downtown/midtown. Will post those as soon as I receive them.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

I'm also waiting on a couple records request for some more low-rise multi-family developments in downtown/midtown. Will post those as soon as I receive them.
Looking forward to seeing these!

I did some light sleuthing when I noticed fencing up at 813 N 1st St, the eternal empty lot north of the Coronado Hotel and south of Matt's. Found several apps open for a project known only as '1st Street Townhomes.' I couldn't find renderings or a site plan but the lot was sold earlier this year. Maybe we'll see that lot finally bite the dust soon?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:44 AM
Skyriser

That is a terrible place to put townhomes.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:48 AM
Modulator

Yep, that's one of my record's request. I'll post as soon as I get it. I agree with Sean on the location for a townhome development.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 1:20 AM
Skyriser

I'd be kind of surprised they'd have the zoning for that anyways in the form-based code. That district is supposed to be reasonably intensive urban commercial/mixed-use, and townhomes are incompatible.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 3:58 AM

I’m okay with townhomes if they were a part of a larger high rise development, or if the Townhomes had optional ground floor retail space that the townhome owner could lease out.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 7:01 PM

If they are something like what is up on Roosevelt just east of 5th Avenue but with a little more height, I think it could be great infill. How the development activates the street interface is going to be key. The scale of that block is kind of difficult to work with.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 8:29 PM
Skyriser

Yeah, same guy. That's disappointing.

He bought that big vacant lot on the west side of 4th Avenue, the location of the still-platted O4 townhomes, in addition to the building on the SWC of 3rd and Osborn and the building and parking lot between the two on the NWC of 4th and Osborn.

It's good to see a crummy building get assembled into something bigger, however, even if it might get banked. And i was never crazy about that O4 project anyways.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
If they are something like what is up on Roosevelt just east of 5th Avenue but with a little more height, I think it could be great infill. How the development activates the street interface is going to be key. The scale of that block is kind of difficult to work with.
5th Avenue? Or do you mean 5th Street? If you mean 5th street then I would have to agree.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:52 AM

Do we know about this one? First time I'm coming across this one. Website says "The development is located just south of the southeast corner of 3rd Avenue and McDowell Road." I'm trying to get an idea of exactly where as there are a bunch of homes there??

Project looks nice with considerable height at 8 stories, 228 units.

https://www.thetownsendapartments.com

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:33 AM
Skyriser

I think it's taking out that weird looking building north of and as well as the law offices so it straddles the alley so everything from 1411 to 1427 N 3rd st. Look close on google maps and you'll see the rezoning hearing sign... wow, that's a big project.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:40 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think it's taking out that weird looking building north of and as well as the law offices so it straddles the alley so everything from 1411 to 1427 N 3rd st. Damn that's a big project.
Correct. I've seen the zoning hearing sign there for a couple months now. But I'm always driving by and I kept forgetting to find out what it was. Good sleuthing Diablo!

Glad to see this kind of development popping up in that area. It could mean more to follow.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:10 AM

Quote:
I think it's taking out that weird looking building north of and as well as the law offices so it straddles the alley so everything from 1411 to 1427 N 3rd st. Look close on google maps and you'll see the rezoning hearing sign... wow, that's a big project.
Got it. Yeah the damn website was confusing me. It mentions 3rd Ave in one section but then mentions 3rd St in another. 3rd St site is more appropriate than where I was trying to figure out where the damn thing would go on 3rd Ave

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:01 AM
Skyriser

Well it would be a nice start on 3rd Ave. Those tiny old forgettable peasant shacks there should be condemned and flattened. We could start by jailing the people that live there for being nuisances already. History, schmistory, democracy, shmockracy, let's get some height there!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Well it would be a nice start on 3rd Ave. Those tiny old forgettable peasant shacks there should be condemned and flattened. We could start by jailing the people that live there for being nuisances already. History, schmistory, democracy, shmockracy, let's get some height there!

There is no way this is being built on 3rd Ave. It has to be 3rd Street. 1. one of the houses that would have to be demolished for this just sold a few months back for $705k, they're definitely not going to be selling it to have it town down.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9.../7522052_zpid/
2. This historic Roosevelt homes are all protected under the historic preservation in phoenix. This likely would not get approval if its on 3rd Ave.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
5th Avenue? Or do you mean 5th Street? If you mean 5th street then I would have to agree.
Yes, 5th Street. My bad. I'm from the west side

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest