HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Once again, your display of naive impatience.
Just a prediction. Not betting on it happening for decades to come. In the meantime let’s just get started on the post office site

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:46 AM
A before E

I am liking the massing studies of this, it will really help give the Riverplace area a more urban connection to the rest of downtown. I am hopeful that we will get some beautiful high quality architecture with what gets designed. I am also hopeful we get two 325ft towers in that mix. But the fact that this much is happening after the pandemic is very promising.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am liking the massing studies of this, it will really help give the Riverplace area a more urban connection to the rest of downtown. I am hopeful that we will get some beautiful high quality architecture with what gets designed. I am also hopeful we get two 325ft towers in that mix. But the fact that this much is happening after the pandemic is very promising.
Urb we’ll be lucky if we see anything remotely get started in our lifetime

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 9:27 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Dude, really? We get how you feel. But don’t drag us all down with you. This is beyond realism and just straight pessimism.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
The way this city and investors/developers move I doubt we see anything happening in the next 20 years. Just look at the post office site. They haven’t even leveled it yet
Quote:
Just a prediction. Not betting on it happening for decades to come. In the meantime let’s just get started on the post office site
Quote:
A few years ago we had a poster who was relentlessly negative and was eventually banned. That poster wound up irritating pretty much everyone else on the forum. Your posts have an uncanny similarity to theirs. If you can't provide constructive posts, please reconsider saying anything, if you don't want to be suspended.

I can't say with certainty that this project will be built. But I can say that the project team is currently doing the things that are necessary to move it forward. At the post office the new retail facility just opened, which needed to happen before demolition can start.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Dude, really? We get how you feel. But don’t drag us all down with you. This is beyond realism and just straight pessimism.
Agree. Portland will rise again, better than ever. It's a city in transition that became a Front for change, and ended up becoming a battleground for differing opinions. Bringing on change is not easy. But I believe Portland will come out on top because of it's willingness to be progressive. I'm appalled, but not surprised by much of the garbage put out by Gossip filled news agencies. It is what it is. Not saying Portland doesn't have issues, but Denver, a hotbed for business relocation to it's Metro Area , has the same issues. Building is going on everywhere, and most of it, upper end. And please don't come back with political B.S. This homeless issue worsened during the last 4 years.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A few years ago we had a poster who was relentlessly negative and was eventually banned. That poster wound up irritating pretty much everyone else on the forum. Your posts have an uncanny similarity to theirs. If you can't provide constructive posts, please reconsider saying anything, if you don't want to be suspended.

I can't say with certainty that this project will be built. But I can say that the project team is currently doing the things that are necessary to move it forward. At the post office the new retail facility just opened, which needed to happen before demolition can start.
Oh wow not trying to be negative at all. But that’s nice about the post office site any idea when demo will start now

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:38 PM

Hmmmm

Quote:
Once again, your display of naive impatience.
I'm not sold that what we're seeing here is necessarily naive impatience; I'd describe it as InnovativeThinking

Last edited by robocop; Jun 17, 2021 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:28 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Oh wow not trying to be negative at all. But that’s nice about the post office site any idea when demo will start now
You need to understand that patience and planning yield better results. If the Post Office was quickly pushed out of that site and the land was thrown open for developers to quickly fill with projects, that entire chunk of the city would be cheap and probably irrelevant today.

This is too good of an opportunity to do on the quick. Patience isn't fun, but I believe it'll be worth it, especially in this particular case.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:32 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
I'm not sold that what we're seeing here is necessarily naive impatience; I'd describe it as InnovativeThinking
Perhaps he's itching for some density?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 11:40 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Drawings [22 MB].
While I am in favor of a more thoughtful and intense development of the Riverplace 8 acres, it is with some sadness that it will result in the demolition of one of my earlier projects. The Riverplace Athletic Club was originally created to be a Family YMCA when I and another architect developed the design and construction drawings for the athletic facility.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
Yes patience is the virtue..

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
perhaps he's itching for some density?
lol

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
While I am in favor of a more thoughtful and intense development of the Riverplace 8 acres, it is with some sadness that it will result in the demolition of one of my earlier projects. The Riverplace Athletic Club was originally created to be a Family YMCA when I and another architect developed the design and construction drawings for the athletic facility.
I've been surprised by the lack of YMCA's here, since moving from the Midwest where they're pretty common even in small cities.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:40 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
I've been surprised by the lack of YMCA's here, since moving from the Midwest where they're pretty common even in small cities.
The old YMCA downtown was demolished in the late 70's to clear the way for a new office building. So the Y built a state of the art Y Metro fitness center at Duniway Park, the curved building that is now HQ for Under Armour. Apparently in an expansion mode, the Y approached our firm to design the Riverplace Y for families. Subsequently private clubs sued the Y for competing with them while enjoying a nonprofit, untaxed advantage. The Y lost the lawsuit and sold the Riverplace facility to a private gym. Eventually the original Y Metro closed. I do not know details of the collapse of the Y empire in Portland. Remember too, on SW 10th behind the Portland Art Museum is the former YWCA. Why did it too fold?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:58 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:10 PM

Hah, you know this will never get of the ground or be nothing but 6-story buildings.

Just kidding

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:31 PM

In all seriousness, I think it's probably likely that Block 1 (where the Riverplace Athletic Club was located) would be built first, and build as 6/7-story buildings. The subsequent phases would probably have to be high-rises, just to justify the economics of demolishing the existing buildings.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 3:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
In all seriousness, I think it's probably likely that Block 1 (where the Riverplace Athletic Club was located) would be built first, and build as 6/7-story buildings. The subsequent phases would probably have to be high-rises, just to justify the economics of demolishing the existing buildings.
That's a valid point, it makes no sense to tear down the existing buildings to replace them with similar size buildings.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 7:27 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland