HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 1:06 PM

The 6/15 Planning Commission presentation is now online. Unlike last weeks, this is a fairly weighty presentation, with three new items - two of which are of note.

1. On the insubstantial side, a new sign permit for 1001 Liberty Avenue (Liberty Center). This is just changing the existing Federated sign to Federated Hermes, which I presume is the new corporate name.

2. In a biggie, Somera is dropping its plans for a new substantial apartment building in South Side Works. The building, as earlier presentations indicated, will take up the two parcels which are just to the west of Hofbrauhaus. Looks like five stories of residences over top of a two-story parking podium (10 units are within the podium and face the riverfront trail). Unit count of 246, with a 174-stall garage (and 110 bike spaces). The design is...fine. Absolutely a step up from what we normally see in these projects, but for some reason I expect the Planning Commission to nitpick it regardless.

3. A new master plan for Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is being proposed. Here is the presentation, and here is the full master plan. There is not much information in here which wasn't already in publicly-released documents - the seminary still plans to contract its campus to an extent, building up the core area and removing buildings around the fringe of the campus. The most intriguing aspect remains a proposed plan to have a new mixed-use building fronting on East Liberty Boulevard and some townhouses around the back corner on Sheridan Street. IIRC this is supposed to be a joint project with ELDI. This plan makes it sound a bit more up in the air, as it's just presented as an "option." Hopefully the financing works out, because East Liberty Boulevard is quite a dead edge and could use some storefronts.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 2:34 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
2. In a biggie, Somera is dropping its plans for a new substantial apartment building in South Side Works. The building, as earlier presentations indicated, will take up the two parcels which are just to the west of Hofbrauhaus. Looks like five stories of residences over top of a two-story parking podium (10 units are within the podium and face the riverfront trail). Unit count of 246, with a 174-stall garage (and 110 bike spaces). The design is...fine. Absolutely a step up from what we normally see in these projects, but for some reason I expect the Planning Commission to nitpick it regardless.
It's about time that this site was developed. The design looks like it would be right at home on CMU's campus, or the Technology Center. Not bad.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
It's about time that this site was developed. The design looks like it would be right at home on CMU's campus, or the Technology Center. Not bad.
It should be noted that this very well might be the last project in South Side Works which isn't reusing existing structures. Somera plans to use the space next to Hyatt House as an athletic field indefinitely, and that little space by the corner of Sidney and 28th is being made some sort of foot truck lot.

Of course, they could just be holding patterns until the pivot to "regular neighborhood" is completed. We will have to wait and see.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
The 6/15 Planning Commission presentation is now online. Unlike last weeks, this is a fairly weighty presentation, with three new items - two of which are of note.

1. On the insubstantial side, a new sign permit for 1001 Liberty Avenue (Liberty Center). This is just changing the existing Federated sign to Federated Hermes, which I presume is the new corporate name.

3. A new master plan for Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is being proposed. Here is the presentation, and here is the full master plan. There is not much information in here which wasn't already in publicly-released documents - the seminary still plans to contract its campus to an extent, building up the core area and removing buildings around the fringe of the campus. The most intriguing aspect remains a proposed plan to have a new mixed-use building fronting on East Liberty Boulevard and some townhouses around the back corner on Sheridan Street. IIRC this is supposed to be a joint project with ELDI. This plan makes it sound a bit more up in the air, as it's just presented as an "option." Hopefully the financing works out, because East Liberty Boulevard is quite a dead edge and could use some storefronts.
The building looks fine. I just wish one of these of prime southside riverfront (or n side for that matter) would get an apartment building of moderate size.

I get that cost escalate beyond the floor levels of these buildings, but come on...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
The building looks fine. I just wish one of these of prime southside riverfront (or n side for that matter) would get an apartment building of moderate size.

I get that cost escalate beyond the floor levels of these buildings, but come on...
I wonder if there were height limits established under the master plan for South Side Works that would prohibit this.

IIRC at one point a residential highrise in the area was considered and NIMBY opposition killed it in its tracks.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:31 PM

Seems like a pretty large building to me? Maybe not tall, but it's a big chunker from every angle.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there were height limits established under the master plan for South Side Works that would prohibit this.

IIRC at one point a residential highrise in the area was considered and NIMBY opposition killed it in its tracks.
It's probably both. As for costs, anything bigger than a five over two podium building is categorized as high-rise and that is silly expensive compared to wood-frame construction. Well, it used to be.

It's not a bad building. I'd want more balconies on the riverfront side, but it integrates well with its surroundings and takes advantage of the grade changes on-site.

One thing of note is that this building would not be allowed in the areas rezoned to RIV. It's way too close to the river, doesn't have the required upper floor step backs, is pushing it length-wise, doesn't have to meet certain building performance standards or public amenity requirements, and does,t meet other design requirements. This is notable because property zoned SP, many of which are tied to the URA were exempted from the riverfront rezone. This is some obvious equal protection issues, but no one has sued yet.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 10:42 PM

Will Pittsburgh ever have a high-rise residential tower on the riverfront?

I can’t remember the planning commission riv limits. Chateau proposal by Millcraft?

How about outside City limits… say on the Riverfront 47 tract in Sharpsburg/O’Hara?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Will Pittsburgh ever have a high-rise residential tower on the riverfront?

I can’t remember the planning commission riv limits. Chateau proposal by Millcraft?
There's a little zone around the planned Esplanade project in Chateau where they set heights at 250 feet. Limits are 150 in the rest of Chateau, the North Shore (up to 579), the area right around the Cork Factory (including notably the Consumer Fresh Produce site), Uptown around the County Jail, and a few mostly unbuildable sites on the fringe of Station Square.

IIRC the master plans for the Buncher site suggested they plan to build some sort of tower on the riverfront west of 579. Unsure if they want to do residential or commercial, but the building looked more residential IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
How about outside City limits… say on the Riverfront 47 tract in Sharpsburg/O’Hara?
Considering the NIMBY fight regarding even allowing a road connection between the development and Aspinwall, this is never going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:43 PM

more fancy downtown apartments with no real kitchen

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/Bu...s/202106130012

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
There's a little zone around the planned Esplanade project in Chateau where they set heights at 250 feet. Limits are 150 in the rest of Chateau, the North Shore (up to 579), the area right around the Cork Factory (including notably the Consumer Fresh Produce site), Uptown around the County Jail, and a few mostly unbuildable sites on the fringe of Station Square.

IIRC the master plans for the Buncher site suggested they plan to build some sort of tower on the riverfront west of 579. Unsure if they want to do residential or commercial, but the building looked more residential IIRC.
Cool, thanks for the info. Then the Chateau project is really the only site with potential for actual “high rise”it seems. Not sure if the demand around there though… just not really in the areas of town where people seem to want to be.

Quote:

Considering the NIMBY fight regarding even allowing a road connection between the development and Aspinwall, this is never going to happen.
Though that’s Aspinwall… they’ve made it very clear that they basically want nothing to do with the Riverfront 47 development. They just want their park and to have the proposed bike trail connect to it.

Most of the acreage is in Sharpsburg and O’Hara… which are both very non-Aspinwally, and could much more easily go for a substantial development, considering the partners involved.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyside View Post
more fancy downtown apartments with no real kitchen

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/Bu...s/202106130012

Minimal kitchens are popular and somewhat appropriate for downtown living. You won't find fancy kitchens in NYC apartments either. The lifestyle is more about eating out than having dinner parties.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 1:03 PM

this BREWERS BLOCK project on liberty avenue is hella ambitious - wasn't aware of it until seeing it on desmone's instagram this morning

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...ers-block.html

i like how it has its own internal pedestrian oriented street

major props for spending the money on a brick exterior

put the pool on the roof so you get the view of downtown - smart

Last edited by shantyside; Jun 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 4:15 PM

A couple of new things coming down the pike from the city planning commissions.

First, there's some interesting art commission stuff coming up on the 23rd.

1. A sidewalk art project in Friendship. This is at that five-way intersection by Roup where there is a small parklet (Baum Grove). The diagram shows a bunch of bulbouts at the intersection I don't seem to remember. They aren't part of the design budget, so I presume they were just completed recently.

2. An upgrade of the Highland Park "super playground." I will say this for the project - it maintains some of the uniqueness of the the existing design. However, it gets rid of one of the most unique features of the playground - the mazelike design which makes it easy for kids to be outside of the direct line of site of parents. As a result, it seems like it will be considerably less fun for kids.

Also, the July 1 ZBA is online. Not much of interest, but I did notice a new building for a bank in East Liberty. Before I clicked I thought it was the Citizen's bank attempting another go, but it's actually a proposal to replace the CVS next door with a new Chase branch. Honestly seems a step down to me, as the new building will be smaller and bank branches generate far less foot traffic than a CVS does.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 10:57 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
this BREWERS BLOCK project on liberty avenue is hella ambitious - wasn't aware of it until seeing it on desmone's instagram this morning

Yeah man, it's a good project. I like that pedestrian walkway as well. We had a few renderings of it posted a few pages back in this thread. Looking forward to this one. It will be nice to fill in the deadzone where the Strip meets lower Lawrenceville.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 7:20 PM
somewhere in-between

A few more of the renderings from Desmone's LinkedIn (might have been posted previously) - it looks great -

Source: LinkedIn | Desmone Architects

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:

While this project would be an obvious improvement to the current state of these lots, I have concerns for the overall planning for the Strip. I would've hoped for better architectural variety. I really am getting more and more frustrated with the city's disdain for any height, anywhere outside of downtown.

The Strip is becoming, effectively, a homogenous zone of 4-6 story blocks, despite efforts to vary the facades and landscaping. One can say what they will in regards to what it was vs now, in regards to overall improvements, but I think opportunities have been lost and I am not sure if time will be kind to what the Strip is quickly becoming vs what made it unique.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 3:26 AM
Ex Houstonian

Walked around the Strip District today after having one of the most delicious lunches ever at Cinderlands.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Super disappointed in this development next to the Cork Factory, more bullshit tin sided garbage throw up; a disgrace. Just use effing cheap brick or something on the whole building; so effing disgusted by the usage still of cheap gross looking tin corrugated whatever siding on buildings. Fucking storage unit architecture.

Maybe a better name for this corrugated tin siding bullshit architecture that has infected this city since 2010 or so should be shipping container architecture; absolute trash.

andres-canavesi-KQAnbuoIvX4-unsplash-1024x684 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Hey bro, where do you live now? Man, I pay 2500 a month to live in a glorified shipping container. Oh sweet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Walked around the Strip District today after having one of the most delicious lunches ever at Cinderlands.

Super disappointed in this development next to the Cork Factory, more bullshit tin sided garbage throw up; a disgrace. Just use effing cheap brick or something on the whole building; so effing disgusted by the usage still of cheap gross looking tin corrugated whatever siding on buildings. Fucking storage unit architecture.

Maybe a better name for this corrugated tin siding bullshit architecture that has infected this city since 2010 or so should be shipping container architecture; absolute trash.

andres-canavesi-KQAnbuoIvX4-unsplash-1024x684 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Hey bro, where do you live now? Man, I pay 2500 a month to live in a glorified shipping container. Oh sweet.
I must admit, I follow this forum from over 1800 miles away, and can't offer the first hand opinions most here can, including yourself. That said, I think you made a compelling case for my earlier post. Those exorbitant amounts being paid by tenants, means they've been had on the cheap. Those fees call for sweeping views from redundant glass towers with balconies. Thankfully, the options for a great, affordable meal, are still plentiful.

Last edited by fonzi; Jun 14, 2021 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:16 PM

You see how fast these buildings go up and can be occupied… that’s the name of the game. These are high-profit endeavors, for the most part.

The reason for lack of height isn’t due to the City not wanting it, necessarily. It is due to the current height allowable/cost-effective for wood-framed structures.

Cheap construction, high rent.

That’s the name of the game in MF construction in second/third tier cities like Pittsburgh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations