HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:31 AM

I popped into the Starbucks Roasters on Main Street today, one of the employees told me the store is closing next month.

I asked about the Starbucks ap, cause when you try to find a store in the locate a store or use the map feature to find a store it doesn't work and hasn't been since probably before Christmas, it makes it really impossible to order ahead.

Also so many places on South Granville have closed down. I imagine the arrival of skytrain will be welcomed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:56 AM

I loathe to add yet another post about Starbucks to this thread, but the in one downtown Port Coquitlam is closing soon. It has especially poor access and parking, especially when compared to nearby locations with better street visibility, drive thrus, etc.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I popped into the Starbucks Roasters on Main Street today, one of the employees told me the store is closing next month.

I asked about the Starbucks ap, cause when you try to find a store in the locate a store or use the map feature to find a store it doesn't work and hasn't been since probably before Christmas, it makes it really impossible to order ahead.
How strange. They spent a lot of money renovating that in what, 2019? And it seems busy to me.

Also that app issue is pretty unacceptable.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:

Also so many places on South Granville have closed down. I imagine the arrival of skytrain will be welcomed.
This store is closing on Jan 31.. along with a number of other downtown Starbucks locations. A friend tells me that most of the stores closing are high rent locations.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:

What, that renoavted location is nearly new!

I'm a little concerned that their strategy for Canada is not going to pan out the way they expect. I know a couple people like myself who were regulars who have cut way back as they closed convenient locations. I'm not going to wait in line for the privilege of picking up my coffee, in person or at a drive thru.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What, that renoavted location is nearly new!

I'm a little concerned that their strategy for Canada is not going to pan out the way they expect. I know a couple people like myself who were regulars who have cut way back as they closed convenient locations. I'm not going to wait in line for the privilege of picking up my coffee, in person or at a drive thru.
They deemed the first wave of closures a success. Gauging from their internal results they decided to go forward and expand the total number from 200 to 300.

In these types of situations, some customers will be lost. But the priority is total profit not total revenue. They only need to transfer a certain percentage of customers from each closed location to the remaining ones to increase profit due to the lower costs of operating fewer locations.

As well, I imagine that many locations have been losing money since March and that hemorrhage is now stopped.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
They deemed the first wave of closures a success. Gauging from their internal results they decided to go forward and expand the total number from 200 to 300.

In these types of situations, some customers will be lost. But the priority is total profit not total revenue. They only need to transfer a certain percentage of customers from each closed location to the remaining ones to increase profit due to the lower costs of operating fewer locations.

As well, I imagine that many locations have been losing money since March and that hemorrhage is now stopped.
Perhaps, but the public will never know as the Canadian financials are not broken out from the US. The fact that they've basically abandoned one of Vancouver's busiest shopping streets (Main) to independents doesn't inspire confidence. If they think the typical Main Street hipster is going to get in the car to go to their nearest drive thru on Terminal, they've got a rude awakening ahead.

It seems odd they tossed out their strategy of trying to be "your neighbourhood coffee shop" out on its ear on the basis of a once-in-a-century pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but the public will never know as the Canadian financials are not broken out from the US. The fact that they've basically abandoned one of Vancouver's busiest shopping streets (Main) to independents doesn't inspire confidence. If they think the typical Main Street hipster is going to get in the car to go to their nearest drive thru on Terminal, they've got a rude awakening ahead.

It seems odd they tossed out their strategy of trying to be "your neighbourhood coffee shop" out on its ear on the basis of a once-in-a-century pandemic.
They still have that new location at Broadway/Kingsway

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:34 PM

That fancy Starbucks on Main was always so busy, same for the JJ Bean across the street. That JJ Bean will now be insane.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
That JJ Bean will now be insane.
Vancouver coffee shop says staff harassed over public washroom
https://globalnews.ca/news/7589851/v...om-harassment/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:45 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Heard a rumour of yet another downtown starbucks closing at the end of the this month, one that was just recently renovated for a eye popping about of money... Seems like something is going on internally at Starbucks and I can't figure out how their shareprice is where it is given the decisions being made. If anyone could be taking advantage of the current situation it should've been them to steal key locations from others.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Heard a rumour of yet another downtown starbucks closing at the end of the this month, one that was just recently renovated for a eye popping about of money... Seems like something is going on internally at Starbucks and I can't figure out how their shareprice is where it is given the decisions being made. If anyone could be taking advantage of the current situation it should've been them to steal key locations from others.
Yes, Sbux is lucky the pandemic probably prevents local shops or franchises from snapping up the locations they're abandoning (and the customers).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:54 AM

Quote:
I guess this is the other Reserve location. But it makes sense if they just want a takeout stand why hold all that prime floor space.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
The reasons have already been presented. The Canadian market is also a fraction of the American one. Share price isn’t based on what is happening here. Operating results are broken down by the Americas, China, and then the rest of the world from what I understand. Those are the numbers that matter. The location of US stores better prepared them for Covid and they are not undergoing the same process of closures.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:20 AM

Quote:

There is a store right beside Main & Broadway. Maybe they will reopen something further up Main that is cheaper to operate than the Reserve Bar.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:41 AM

Tesla in Langley

Quote:
A representative of Jonkers confirmed Tesla is set to move into the location. This will be Tesla’s first showroom-type location South of the Fraser and the first east of Vancouver in the Lower Mainland. The electric car maker’s other locations are in Vancouver and on the North Shore.

According to the DriveTeslaCanada.ca website, the rear of the dealership will house two “quick service bays” and eight regular service bays, and wall and post-mounted Tesla Destination Chargers are to be installed.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comments.

“It’ll be an interesting dynamic having Tesla right on the Bypass,” Graham noted.

He is not privy to the details, but expects it to be much like a full dealership.
https://www.theprogress.com/news/tes...angley-bypass/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:50 AM

fancy.

I hadn't been to Langley in quite a few years before about last spring/summer. I was surprised to see the fancy car dealerships they have now, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover etc.

yelp.ca

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:02 AM

I was at Metropolis today, Armani Exchange has signage that they are moving, they are moving to a temporary location down near Indigo. Does anyone know if they are just renovating their store? or planning on moving when a new location is ready cause there are quite a few prominent spaces available in the mall. A lot of vacant spaces. That Zara is going to be a big one. The gap will be closing soon, so another good spot coming up.

Also so many stores have huge video screens in them now, feels like they are catching up lol.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:08 AM

I thought Tesla was closing most of their showrooms: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/1...only-car-sales

Edit: oh, they closed fewer and raised prices: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/upd...es-and-pricing

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Well closures are not happening in the US, a sign that this is not based purely on the pandemic. Starbucks Canada has said that the pandemic accelerated these closures but is not the root of them.

What other business has 30 locations downtown? If that number goes down to 20, you still won't find another company with that density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy